Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-07-2013, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Got the job. Hopefully start it next week or the week after.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWJ Services View Post
Got the job. Hopefully start it next week or the week after.
Congrats. Definitly take lots of pics.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-07-2013, 03:36 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Good luck on that project. Nice bonus before Christmas time!

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 12-07-2013, 04:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Congrats! Like Yellow said its a nice bonus before Christmas! Post some pics while you're doing it- I'm curious how the torrent mulcher will do in that size material.

WWW.ARPLANTE.COM

A.R.Plante on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...0670251?ref=ts

Check Out Our Videos on YouTube!: http://www.youtube.com/user/arplante...s?feature=mhee
Old 12-07-2013, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARP View Post
Congrats! Like Yellow said its a nice bonus before Christmas! Post some pics while you're doing it- I'm curious how the torrent mulcher will do in that size material.

I am also curious how the Torrent with your flow will work in that material. Rockhound has just released a Torrent type mulcher for mini excavators. I am considering buying it. With the Flail type and a chipper tooth type I think I will have it covered.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksss View Post
I am also curious how the Torrent with your flow will work in that material. Rockhound has just released a Torrent type mulcher for mini excavators. I am considering buying it. With the Flail type and a chipper tooth type I think I will have it covered.
It has Quadco teeth which is similar too what the Torrent runs. How much is it?
Old 12-07-2013, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARP View Post
I have nothing too compare it too as far as how fast it is but on Pines it will do a 6 inch pretty fast. Sweet gums are a different story. Most stuff the size of your wrist it barely notices. It does not like realy tough vines like wisteria.
Most of that stuff in the pictures it will have no problem with. If I can remeber I will bring my camcorder and try too get some video.
I will add that this same head with a motor change on a KX080 is night and day difference. You really need about 26 gpm too be what I would consider really productive. My Kubota does a really good job of running the head as boom movement and cab swing does not slow it down much. The only time I cut the head off is if I need too go from the ground up too full height too start on a new tree. A guy in Canada has a Torrent 40 inch head on a Cat 308 and he does 12 inch trees with good production. The Kx080 takes a 28 cc motor and the Cat takes a 40-45 cc motor on the head so that will give you an idea of the difference in flow. As far as I can tell nothing can touch the Cat on flow in this class excavator and should have productivity similar too a skid with much less operating expense.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:56 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That is a huge difference in flow between the machines. As I keep seeing more and more of these fixed teeth mini mulchers coming out, my interest gets piqued more and more about what we could do with the 50 with one of those heads. A flail is great from material up to 3-4", after than it is beat to death trying to do bigger material (which we are constantly finding ourselves having to mulch with the 50). I will be very interested to see the videos of this job if you have a chance to make some.

Shane- I too am interested in the price of the rockhound. Has pricing been released to dealers yet?

WWW.ARPLANTE.COM

A.R.Plante on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...0670251?ref=ts

Check Out Our Videos on YouTube!: http://www.youtube.com/user/arplante...s?feature=mhee
Old 12-08-2013, 12:29 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

One of the biggest issues you will have with a 5/6 to machine and a mulcher is when feeding the head it tries too grab the material and will move the head off the material especially on big stuff like stumps. The teeth on that rockhound are going to be really bad about that because of there design and will make it harder too control the cutting on bigger stuff. The Denis Cimaf head addresses this with cut limiting discs. The torrent runs a round tooth with only a few teeth like on the rockhound due too lack of available hyd power. As the you step up in flow you can run more of those type teeth.

Your Deere adv more flow than my Kubota so it should work better however I am finding that there is such a big performance jump too an 8 ton machine that I feel that is where I will end up. The 5 ton machine and these heads do an excellent job for what they are but you have to remember that you are only making about 20 hyd hp with these machines so that limits it.
Old 12-08-2013, 04:13 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Here is another job. I cleaned up everything but the big trees behind the pole barn. I will snap some finished pics tomorrow so you can see what it looks like after a couple months.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1075432...7638486378236/