Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-31-2014, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Member

The heat and humidity, sweating, and the constant rubbing are hard on a guy. Never liked jockstraps in high school, but maybe worth consideration. Maybe a kilt and nothing else???? Lol!
I don't have a problem with being on my feet that long. I spent almost 14 years in a factory working 8-12 hrs a day, 7 days a week, and then mowing/landscaping on the side.
I could use the fitness,yes, but I have to be able to go all day everyday. There are even times I kind of enjoy using my Toro Personal Pace, but not all day, every day. Granted, my back has not faired so well bouncing on riders. Just need a balance and happy medium. I mow a lot of 4-6 acre farms, and there is plenty of walking involved trimming around all of the buildings, etc.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-31-2014, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Have you seen utili kilts? google them, they are like carharrts for kilts.

Edit: who has the balls to have a company that runs kilts as uniforms and calls themselves "commando lawn care"
Old 02-01-2014, 12:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Crazy! Did not realize there was such a thing! You would probably not want to wear one on a rider, but then it would be fresh air!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-01-2014, 01:50 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

when I first started my business in CT, the guy I considered my direct competitor (at least on residentials) was a guy I called "the naked landscaper"

He wore Herman survivors, no socks, a pair of tan nut hugger shorts and a ball cap with a safari flap in the back…. by the time the dead of summer hit, he was so tan and his stuff (that he never seemed to wash) was so dirty…he and what little clothes he had were the same color… that and he had no signage anywhere on his truck…. he never wore a shirt, even in the fall when it was like 45 degrees.

He rode a turf tiger that was never stopped and never going any less than full speed ever.

Naked landscaper…. who knows, he's probably on this site… anyone here from Fairfield Conn, that meets that description (or used to?)

this guy, was way more brazen, than any kilt wearing dude could ever be….

Im seriously considering "Commando Landscape Management"
I could use a fresh start… Maybe solo, maybe just a few helpers.
Lord knows I couldn't afford many of those kilts for uniforms… have you seen the prices!
Maybe I should just sell kilts!

My tag line could be: "Once you go commando, you never go back!"
Or maybe simply "Mow Commando"

Last edited by TPendagast; 02-01-2014 at 01:58 AM.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ive been following this one and have another question. I haven't run a larger mower (walk behind or Stander) and am curious to know how easy it is to adjust height on the walk behinds. Im considering an Exmark TT or a stander, but cant decide. I have to adjust heights of cut at numerous stops throughout the day. From a you tube vide I saw on the TT, it looks like you just pull a pin, and pull up on the handle to adjust deck height. If that's the case, and they mulch well, that may be the way for me to go. I do have to bag some yards too though....so dang its hard to figure out what to do.
2013 Exmark Commercial 30
2014 Exmark Lazer Z S Series EFI 52
2008 Stihl FS250R Trimmer
2010 Stihl FS90R Trimmer
200? Stihl FC75 Edger
2014 Stihl KM130R edger and trimmer shafts

2013 Stihl BR600 Backpack blower
Old 02-01-2014, 07:20 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbljack View Post
Ive been following this one and have another question. I haven't run a larger mower (walk behind or Stander) and am curious to know how easy it is to adjust height on the walk behinds. Im considering an Exmark TT or a stander, but cant decide. I have to adjust heights of cut at numerous stops throughout the day. From a you tube vide I saw on the TT, it looks like you just pull a pin, and pull up on the handle to adjust deck height. If that's the case, and they mulch well, that may be the way for me to go. I do have to bag some yards too though....so dang its hard to figure out what to do.
You just pull a pull and lift at each corner. Similar to a walker.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:24 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Went and looked at a turf tracer yesterday. Between some snow on the ground and the unit inside I wasn't able to take it for a spin.

This guy has what I think is an unbelievable price. He has 3 units in stock and all other dealers within 40 miles would have to order. Guys here just don't use wbs. I'm thinking he ordered them for someone and the deal feel through? Maybe he wants to get rid of them before they need to make interest payments?

In my set up in would run 2 wbs. I'm thinking I might be able to buy one now to test things out and then come back later for the second once the season gets closer. I'd hate to buy 2 and make a $13k mistake!! Maybe I can tell the dealer my situation and get him to "hold" a second unit for a few weeks.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:45 AM
LawnSite Member

The Exmark dealer I use usually gets a "lot" of mowers that they get special pricing on. I don't know if it is because of volume or what, but they get only a few and they usually have them as their special at their spring open house. Usually some pretty good deals.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-01-2014, 08:01 AM
LawnSite Member

I know this is off the main subject of Exmark TT's, but Ferris/Snapper walk behinds have simple crank handles to raise and lower the deck for different heights. Unfortunately they don't have the settings marked with a number so you have to measure the height on a setting and adjust from there if u want specific 3" cuts for example. They don't have the good iCD deck and they are a pistol grip machine vs ECS controls. They do mow and handle well. I am unsure if they have a bagger available for them. Bagging with a bigger walk behind does suck, but although inefficient, you could side discharge first, then do a second pass with the bagger like many do with leaf cleanups in the fall.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-01-2014, 02:15 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmasterswilson View Post
Went and looked at a turf tracer yesterday. Between some snow on the ground and the unit inside I wasn't able to take it for a spin.

This guy has what I think is an unbelievable price. He has 3 units in stock and all other dealers within 40 miles would have to order. Guys here just don't use wbs. I'm thinking he ordered them for someone and the deal feel through? Maybe he wants to get rid of them before they need to make interest payments?

In my set up in would run 2 wbs. I'm thinking I might be able to buy one now to test things out and then come back later for the second once the season gets closer. I'd hate to buy 2 and make a $13k mistake!! Maybe I can tell the dealer my situation and get him to "hold" a second unit for a few weeks.
Plenty of people buy a single ZTR and end up making a $13k mistake because it's not the one for them.

13k…. so $6500 per machine, when they are normally asking 8k?
pretty good price.

When you buy two you always have a bit more leverage.

But if you are happy with a $6500 price, buy one.

If you want a second one and you come back to get it, and they are gone…you simply have to pay the $8k price. Or maybe you're lucky and it's still there.