Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-02-2014, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Member

I haven't read this whole thread and I'm not going to read 14 pages of it, however I did have the chance to speak with a well known LCO who I have quoted below with his opinion on walk behinds & ZTR's....

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR0TURF
Starts & Stripes...If I was a solo operation I would operate a ZTR mower. They are very nice with the vac system, plus you get to sit down all day. If you plan to grow the business and have multiple crews mowing properties at a high production rate I would encourage you to go with the walk behinds (with a velke). The walk behinds are better on fuel, and are much cheaper to maintain, and significantly cheaper to purchase the actual mower. New tires for a ZTR are approx $150 each...tires for a walk behind are $50 each. I could list examples all day. The walk behinds are much lighter of a machine and do much less damage to turf. ZTR's are fine if you are the operator, but once you put employees on them things start to break, lawns start to get torn up, and your profits dwindle quickly. So depending on what route you will be taking you can use my advice as you will.

- Shindaiwa T242
- STIHL MS290 FarmBoss
- Echo PB500T

Starting 2014 - Solo Operation!
Old 02-02-2014, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTLarson View Post
From my experience shopping around, the prices of the larger walk behinds and the standers are almost the same. I was quoted over $8000 for an Exmark Turf Tracer and ended up buying the Exmark Vantage for $8100+tax. I started on walk behinds, so for me the stander felt awkward. It was fast and responsive, but I just had trouble controlling it in tight/trimming situations because you have to control the forward and reverse motions along with your body movement, whereas the walk behind you set the forward speed and basically control everything by slowing down one or both wheels or reversing just by squeezing the controls, similar to a Walker mower.

The Wright/Deere standers have you close to the ground like a velke behind a walk behind, but the Scag, Exmark, and Toro stand ons have you elevated higher. Lots of others love the standers and their productivity, but I sold mine to another lawn company that already had 2 and loved them for the residentials they mow. Like everyone else on here says, demo them.

I had a guy drive from an hour away to run my stander and walk behind, with and without a velke, just so he could try out the different options. I was glad I could help. I have purchased lots of mowers to end up with regrets, so I was more than willing to help someone else out. To me it was not a waste of time to help out a fellow lawn mower. I have let several people that mow try out my mowers just to see if they liked them better or for a new experience.

Hope I am of some help. Whatever you get and are accustomed to will be the "best" mower for you, until you try something different. Sometimes change is good, and sometimes it is difficult.
Excellent post!
Old 02-07-2014, 03:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quick question, I am looking into getting a Turf Tracer X Series this year. I am debating whether I should get a 52 or 60. Which one would be better? I already have a 48 S Series and use it on some lawns, but I would like to use this machine on yards that are a half acre to an acre and maybe eventually phase out the 48 for it.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

let me stutter for a minute.

nnn-nnn-nnn never get rid of your 48.

ok Im done.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
let me stutter for a minute.

nnn-nnn-nnn never get rid of your 48.

ok Im done.
You Alaskans sure have a lot of personality. What's the weather like up there?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-08-2014, 12:51 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnsaspire View Post
You Alaskans sure have a lot of personality. What's the weather like up there?
Posted via Mobile Device
Guessing it's beer drinking season up there...
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 02-08-2014, 01:21 AM
LawnSite Member

A 52 is only 4" wider, so I would go for a 60 if you are adding to your fleet to compliment your 48. If you have the opportunity to try a 60 on some of your properties it would be a good test to see if one would work. Sometimes it is surprising what you can do with a bigger mower. I luckily had a friend with a 72 ztr that I tried on all of my properties before I stepped up from a 60 ztr. So on that note, I opted for a 52 walk behind rather than a 48.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-08-2014, 01:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valk View Post
Guessing it's beer drinking season up there...
I know it is here!!! What an awesome winter. One to remember for sure.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-08-2014, 02:36 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Our winter sucked.

You lower 48 blokes got all our weather… been 40s and raining til last week.
Now we have the typically february. 10 degrees and 50 mph winds gusting to 80mph.

No snow… (well incredibly little of it)

anchorage bowl area maybe got 20"-24" this year so far.

Fairbanks has about 60" but its 100% concrete now…it warmed up, rained and then refroze.

I don't drink.

But here in AK, with all the DUIs every day is beer drinking season for these idiots.

Iron dog race is coming up soon (what are they going to race on roots and rocks?)

Several qualifying trials for the iditarod have been canceled already.
Old 02-08-2014, 02:52 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
Our winter sucked.

You lower 48 blokes got all our weather… been 40s and raining til last week.
Now we have the typically february. 10 degrees and 50 mph winds gusting to 80mph.

No snow… (well incredibly little of it)

anchorage bowl area maybe got 20"-24" this year so far.

Fairbanks has about 60" but its 100% concrete now…it warmed up, rained and then refroze.

I don't drink.

But here in AK, with all the DUIs every day is beer drinking season for these idiots.

Iron dog race is coming up soon (what are they going to race on roots and rocks?)

Several qualifying trials for the iditarod have been canceled already.
So what we're getting is like what Alaska is usually like. I love it!
I personally love cold weather and get a giant kick out of hearing everyone whine and moan about it constantly.
Posted via Mobile Device