Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-14-2014, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I still keep thinking about this. I run one crew now and it makes it hard to split them with a few days on wbs and some on ztrs. Maybe if I had two crews I could split them up.

I'm about 90% residential with lawns from 5k-40k. Then a few larger commercial/apartments.

I run a 60" ztr and a 21" push mower. Have a 48" walker for leaves.

From a residential perspective I would want smaller wbs. 48 or 52 maybe. So running all 60" wbs may not look different to the old clients who say... Wish that big mower wasn't on my lawn.

Maybe I just turn away large properties where ztrs would be needed and stuck to a premium residential/small commercial market?
Old 01-21-2014, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't have any input here...merely subscribed as we're considering the switch to TT's. No more Z's or standers.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My question is why does everyone who runs primarily walk behinds uses Exmark Turf Tracers?

I mean I love them myself, but just curious as to why everyone prefers Turf Tracers compared to Gravely, Toro, Scag, ect.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church2224 View Post
My question is why does everyone who runs primarily walk behinds uses Exmark Turf Tracers?

I mean I love them myself, but just curious as to why everyone prefers Turf Tracers compared to Gravely, Toro, Scag, ect.
At one time Exmark was head and shoulders above most everyone else so far as walk behind mowers go. Some still think they are. That said, some of the other brands are upping their game and offering features not found on the Turf Tracers, i.e. single point height adjustment. Another reason for their success might be that Exmark has a very broad range of mowers from 36" up to 60" decks with a variety of engines including EFI as well as both fixed and floating decks. Plus, they are well built and reliable.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

wait... let me get my cane and shake it while i say this:

Back in the day, we ALL used to use all walk behinds!

depending on your demographics using all walkbehinds can be very effective.

Ive watched guys waste 20 minutes trying to park a trailer with three guys sitting in the truck (lats one man hour of lost production)

a pick up with two walk behinds in the back and some ramps can park right in the driveway, no issues backing up.. steep odd long driveways? no problem because you have no trailer.

You also dont have an expensive body set up, just a pick up.

If you bag grass though... bad news there is no where to put it, unless you have a place to dump onsite compost (highly encouraged)

Guys who use riders run over stuff, they are lazy, they miss stuff, they go too fast, they run over stuff, did I mention? They run over stuff.
they are less likely to want to trim, so they try to jam the mower into areas it shouldnt go.
and.. they run over stuff

75% of all guys who operate a 60" Z, I could kick their grass with a 52" belt drive and a velke.
no matter what the brochures tell you when you buy that Z, the dude you pay $12 an hour to ride it, isn't running it at that efficiency.
If you are solo or run with your crews, this is different.

60 inch riders are for big lots and commercial grass.
I know there was a movement in the last half decade that said buy the biggest deck you can and squeeze it everywhere you can.
I'm hoping people have finally figured out that's dead wrong.

AS always... right tool for the right job!

What neighborhood are you working in and what is the mix of your lawns.
That will dictate what you should be using.

Stop trying to eat soup with a fork.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjessen View Post
At one time Exmark was head and shoulders above most everyone else so far as walk behind mowers go. Some still think they are. That said, some of the other brands are upping their game and offering features not found on the Turf Tracers, i.e. single point height adjustment. Another reason for their success might be that Exmark has a very broad range of mowers from 36" up to 60" decks with a variety of engines including EFI as well as both fixed and floating decks. Plus, they are well built and reliable.
for most of my life Scag has been the number 1 walkbehind any where I looked with the Toro Pro line being that "best kept secret"

In my theaters, exmark was always number three when it came to mowers. Unless you were discussing the vaunted Lazer Z, then it was tied for first.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Exmark has a distinct advantage in the walkbehind market

--comfortable, intuitive, controls--ECS
--greatest variety of decks and power plants, series 3 and series 4 decks, widtchs from 36"-60", Kohler EFI, Kawi, and propane options

I think the controls are the biggest selling point
Old 01-22-2014, 10:45 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Like I said I run 3 WB 48" turf tracers, great mowers.
But, It also should be said I've got 1 dealer in my area-he sells Exmark.
If he sold Scag? Well....
Old 01-22-2014, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The only thing I don't understand is how a walkbehind is cheaper to run than a light weight Wright stander. Same engine, hydrostatic, stand is shorter, no sulky to wear out, etc.... For the same purchase price, would a wright stander fit into the "low overhead" group walkbehinds are in? Deciding if I want to make the switch
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-22-2014, 05:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exmarkboy13 View Post
The only thing I don't understand is how a walkbehind is cheaper to run than a light weight Wright stander. Same engine, hydrostatic, stand is shorter, no sulky to wear out, etc.... For the same purchase price, would a wright stander fit into the "low overhead" group walkbehinds are in? Deciding if I want to make the switch
Posted via Mobile Device
A local LCO who tried to switch their ZTRs to standers told me not to do it, apparently he said that while it saved some money they still had issues with them and employees abusing them plus a few other issues. Next year they are switching to all walk behinds.