Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-23-2014, 07:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church2224 View Post
If it is really wet then yes it can clump. But from what I have seen in terms of prices Scag SWZs are the same price as Turf Tracers and the Turf Tracer has a Floating Deck and the ECS controls that will save your hands. There are also the Gravely and Toro Floating Deck Hydros I recommend.

Also if you are going over 48" you should get a floating deck hydro mower, it will help with scalping. Not to say the SWZ is a bad unit, it is a well built mower, but IMHO you have better options out there.
Actually, the scag is much cheaper than the exmark, I was just quoted for the 48" SWZ for $4100.

I'll be replacing all my mowers over to the scag SWZ's. To me, which I have said before, I see much more productivity out of the walk behinds then the z-turns.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-23-2014, 07:51 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

As stated before I run a 2 man crew with a 60" hustler ztr during growing season and 48" walker in fall.

I'm really considering wbs because of the complaints I'm getting.....

-I see ruts from our normal 2 outside passes.
- divots from turning start to show up no matter what I show and tell them(guys with very little experience hoping to groom)
- few older customers comment "that mower is so fast"

I do 90%+ smaller residentials and the average sqft might be 12-15k or under. I do have a few large mow blow go properties where a ztr would be best.

Based on being in business for 10 years and having very few 1+ acre properties I may as well stay in this smaller propert niche....residential and small commercial offices. Would just turn down larger jobs rather than buying a second ztr. I would keep the current ztr for current properties and run it as long as possible before deciding to buy another.

Cost wise I can buy 2 very good quality wbs for the same price as a ztr. Put a chute blocker in them and I'm good to go.

It really comes down to time now. Wb time vs ztr time. Even with wb taking 5-10 minutes longer I may be able to raise the quality level and in turn raise price a little. Could sell services as.....we don't use the big mowers that tear up turf.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deererunner View Post
Actually, the scag is much cheaper than the exmark, I was just quoted for the 48" SWZ for $4100.

I'll be replacing all my mowers over to the scag SWZ's. To me, which I have said before, I see much more productivity out of the walk behinds then the z-turns.
Posted via Mobile Device
That is pretty damn good for a Scag. Down here 4,100 is the price of the belt drive.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:48 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmasterswilson View Post

-I see ruts from our normal 2 outside passes.

It really comes down to time now. Wb time vs ztr time. Even with wb taking 5-10 minutes longer I may be able to raise the quality level and in turn raise price a little. Could sell services as.....we don't use the big mowers that tear up turf.
Bingo.
I can identify-you've found your niche and what works.
When I put a ztr on the trailer, it was more hassle than it was worth.
hell, I even had to use a walkbehind to pop the ztr out of some soft, spring turf one year.
It's been a few seasons now without the ztr, but I can still spot some "wear" marks in certain lawns from the ztr.
A ztr does have it's place-acreage. Just didn't work for my application.
I can move through a neighborhood pretty quickly with 3 48" WB hydros, and be confident everything will look "polished" when I pull away.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone care to post pictures of their walk behinds and setups that are "walkbehind" only?? this is a great thread, and i thought i was the only one who thought like this, so lets keep it going!

14 Years old
Old 01-23-2014, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If weight has nothing to do with the pump/wheel motor combo--why did they upsize the pumps and wheel motors on 2nd generation zero turns--first generation--which used the same pumps as walkbehinds--did not last long--all things being the same except weight and speed---weight is a cause for faster decay.

my TTX weighs in at 720# and the Vantage 52 with same engine weighs in at 875# w/o rider. We walk so the weight on ours remains 720# and the Vantage goes up to 1125# w/ 250# operator--400# is significant to both the compaction of the turf and the longevity of the mower. Also with us walking behind the mower we start in the 200# range and end up in the 180-190# range with minimal turf compaction
Old 01-23-2014, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

@Exmarkboy 13--there are some shots on our facebook page www.facebook.com/landscapevermont we do own one walker that we use in spring and fall for clean-ups, for aerations, and sometimes on new clients we pick up mid season that are behind on their property and need a "summer clean-up"

we sold off all of our open trailers and will be getting a large enclosed trailer that will allow us better capacity for our landscape detailing tools. We have 3 TTS 48's 1 TTX 52" 1 toro turfmaster 30" and a walker mtghs 48" the walker will most likely be left behind
Old 01-23-2014, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm solo. I run a 48 Turf Tracer. I also have a 36 Viking for backup. For now I'm very happy with this setup.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:10 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDLandscapes VT View Post
@Exmarkboy 13--there are some shots on our facebook page www.facebook.com/landscapevermont we do own one walker that we use in spring and fall for clean-ups, for aerations, and sometimes on new clients we pick up mid season that are behind on their property and need a "summer clean-up"

we sold off all of our open trailers and will be getting a large enclosed trailer that will allow us better capacity for our landscape detailing tools. We have 3 TTS 48's 1 TTX 52" 1 toro turfmaster 30" and a walker mtghs 48" the walker will most likely be left behind
How long have you been in business? You have very nice equipment and do great work from the photos I looked at. Just out of curiosity, how did you go about finding quality people to work for you? I am having a problem finding the right people. Thanks
Old 01-24-2014, 07:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

21- Toro
32 - Ferris HydroCut
52 - Snapper Pro Hydro
52 - Snapper Pro Hydro
16' Open Trailer
Attached Images