Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-28-2013, 09:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Switching to enclosed trailers

We have been thinking about switching over to enclosed trailers. I am looking for some help with the pros and cons of running the enclosed trailers.

We will have 3-4 maintenance crews running them, 2 landscape and 1 fert.

Thanks.
Old 11-28-2013, 10:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

In my experience, the only downside to enclosed trailers that's worth mentioning is slower unloading and loading of mowing equipment. But, depending on your properties, this might not be a downside. For me, it wasn't. We typically would only do 1 or 2 properties a day. But if you're doing high-volume 20 or more stops a day, then enclosed will probably lose you some time.

All other downsides, in my opinion, are completely outweighed by the pros. More storage room, DRY, you can lock the doors, not have to tarp an open trailer or waste space in the shop every night. You can put every conceivable tool in the trailer and not have to ever unload them.

I like open trailers for lots of unloading and loading throughout the day. Everything else, enclosed is the way to go.

Just my two cents

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 11-28-2013, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would keep open for fert.
We have two enclosed and two open.
Enclosed for mow and maintenance .
Open for fert for one reason. Clean up. Fert ears everything and with all the nooks and crannys in the enclosed we found the fert to eat enclosed trailer up pretty quick.
Good luck.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-28-2013, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Most of our routes are going to be in the ballpark of 20 stops. Where is the extra time coming from? Is it going in and out to grab trimmers and blowers or what?
Old 11-28-2013, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Also, what size trailers are you guys running.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLC1 View Post
Most of our routes are going to be in the ballpark of 20 stops. Where is the extra time coming from? Is it going in and out to grab trimmers and blowers or what?
Yes, going in and out to get trimmers and blowers instead of grabbing them from the side of the open trailer on their racks. Plus, depending on how you secure your mowers. If you use ratchet straps, with an open trailer, you can release them from the side and then jump over the rail and onto the machine. Or something like that. With an enclosed, you have to go inside and depending on how wide your trailer is, it might take more than a couple seconds to unstrap your equipment if you have to squeeze around it.

Just something to consider if speed is your concern. You can, however use fast straps or E-Z track to quicker load-securing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very pro-enclosed trailer. I think all the benefits vastly outweigh the cons, but it might take a little effort to get your loading/unloading times down. I've used 16 footers that have been tight when I worked for a commercial maintenance company and the 20 foot I have now is perfect, especially since I don't have any mowing equipment, I only do detail maintenance for another company, so I have more than enough room for all my tools and small equipment.

Old 11-28-2013, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Chevy View Post
Yes, going in and out to get trimmers and blowers instead of grabbing them from the side of the open trailer on their racks. Plus, depending on how you secure your mowers. If you use ratchet straps, with an open trailer, you can release them from the side and then jump over the rail and onto the machine. Or something like that. With an enclosed, you have to go inside and depending on how wide your trailer is, it might take more than a couple seconds to unstrap your equipment if you have to squeeze around it.

Just something to consider if speed is your concern. You can, however use fast straps or E-Z track to quicker load-securing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very pro-enclosed trailer. I think all the benefits vastly outweigh the cons, but it might take a little effort to get your loading/unloading times down. I've used 16 footers that have been tight when I worked for a commercial maintenance company and the 20 foot I have now is perfect, especially since I don't have any mowing equipment, I only do detail maintenance for another company, so I have more than enough room for all my tools and small equipment.
It is possible to be efficient with an enclosed trailer if you set it up right. I never have to set foot inside the trailer to remove or replace the trimmers and edgers.

You can see my set up here: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=415830
www.awlandscapers.com

Hustler X-One 60"
Wright Stander RH 36"
eXmark 21" ECXKA21 Mower
Stihl FC110 Edger
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl FS55R Trimmer
Stihl HS56C Hedge Trimmer
Stihl MS391 25" Bar Chainsaw
RedMax EBZ7100 Blower
Earthquake 16" Rear Tine Tiller
Honda 9" Mini Tiller FG110
2014 GMC Sierra Denali HD
7' x 16' Enclosed V-Nose Trailer
6' x 12' Dump Trailer
Equipment & Work thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=415830
Old 11-28-2013, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. W. Landscapers, Inc. View Post
It is possible to be efficient with an enclosed trailer if you set it up right. I never have to set foot inside the trailer to remove or replace the trimmers and edgers.

You can see my set up here: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=415830
That is beautiful. Just shows what a little thought can do to make a good setup.

Old 11-28-2013, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Chevy View Post
That is beautiful. Just shows what a little thought can do to make a good setup.
Thank you very much.
www.awlandscapers.com

Hustler X-One 60"
Wright Stander RH 36"
eXmark 21" ECXKA21 Mower
Stihl FC110 Edger
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl FS55R Trimmer
Stihl HS56C Hedge Trimmer
Stihl MS391 25" Bar Chainsaw
RedMax EBZ7100 Blower
Earthquake 16" Rear Tine Tiller
Honda 9" Mini Tiller FG110
2014 GMC Sierra Denali HD
7' x 16' Enclosed V-Nose Trailer
6' x 12' Dump Trailer
Equipment & Work thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=415830
Old 11-29-2013, 10:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I made the switch to enclosed this year. I was reluctant but it's worked out great. Now I have room for back up equip, spare parts and materials. Basically its like a mobile mini shop.