Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-04-2013, 01:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Gravely vs Snapper hydro walk behind - other suggestions

Home owner looking for a replacement mower for my Billy Goat 33. My yard has a significant hill and after 5 years wresting the BG on the hill, Iím convinced to try a commercial WB. I have considered a belt drive WB but concerned that it would be harder to handle on the hill. The BG was light enough to handle on the hill but still a challenge trimming and mowing sideways. It was very easy to handle on flat ground.

Iím located in Southern Michigan. My yard consists of rye, tall fescue, dandelions, buckhorn and maybe some blue grass. I like to keep the length at 3 inches all year round. The BG has been the best mower at mulching leaves without lowering the deck below 3 inches, but even with sharp blades the BG did not cut and side discharge dandelions or tall fescue very well. A 21 Snapper or LB will cut just fine but I have over and acre to cut. I never bag grass or leaves. I blow out the leaves around the boarders and mulch them up. Iím looking for a nice side discharge cut until fall, then switching to mulch mode to chop up leaves. Iíve read many good threads from this forum and narrowed my choice down to a Snapper SW20 or Gravely Pro Walk based on local sales and reputable service in my area.

Can you provide any feedback on which mower may be better for my needs? Gravely is more expensive 5100.00 vs. 4200.00 but appears to have a heaver constructed deck. Iíd go with either based on which would be the best to discharge tall grass and dandelions, and also the best at mulching dry leaves.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Ken
Old 12-06-2013, 03:12 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a Snapper Pro 48" hydro for my personal lawn and I love the thing... It is quick and powerful and leaves a nice cut. Do not think you can go wrong with one. I know alot of guys on here who have them say they are a good bang for your buck...
Old 12-07-2013, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks Doobs41378 for that feedback. About the only negative comment has been on the height adjustment not being level. Gravely price is firm. Snapper dealer is looking to see if other dealers have one in stock for a year end deal, so I'll see if he finds one. One other question, on a hydro the mower stops if you let off both the controls? That has been nice on the BG. I like the fact that if I take my hands of the mower it stops, providing the brake is set correct. Ken
Old 12-07-2013, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenmc5 View Post
Thanks Doobs41378 for that feedback. About the only negative comment has been on the height adjustment not being level. Gravely price is firm. Snapper dealer is looking to see if other dealers have one in stock for a year end deal, so I'll see if he finds one. One other question, on a hydro the mower stops if you let off both the controls? That has been nice on the BG. I like the fact that if I take my hands of the mower it stops, providing the brake is set correct. Ken
If you set the brake and push the button to turn blades off then you can take your hands off controls and it stays running.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-07-2013, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Kenmc5 I got the gravely prowalk 36 hydro, It was my first walk behind and took me a little while to get used to it, But in a week i was rolling overall it is excellent, the cut is great and clean handles hills like a beast "my main reason for buying" i looked at the snapper pros before i got the gravely and they are very nice also and have read good things on them. but the gravely just seemed so much more solid built so i went with it no regrets ...except i dont need it next year ! lol
Old 12-08-2013, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks ch4x0r seems like both the Snapper and Gravely get good reviews on their cut quality. Just based on specifications and internet posts I get the same impression, Gravely built with a heavier deck. I may end up tossing a coin as I think they would both work out well. Waiting to see if/when my local sales guy gets back on the Snapper price. I did see a used on on Craigslist but at 4200. I'd like to go new and get a warranty.

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/grd/4177829550.html
Old 12-08-2013, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Member

If both are mechanically sound that isn't a bad deal from what I read my phones acting crazy though can't read all it
Posted via Mobile Device