Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-04-2013, 03:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Kubota KX080 -4 vs Doosan DX85-3

Company is looking to replace the CX75sr with one of these machines.

My thoughts
DX85- cheaper, lifting capacity advantage, nicer cab, operator comforts. Slightly easier maintenence wise. Haven't had issues with our DX180LC and it has 1200 hours now.

KX080-4 better resale, seems slightly smoother operating, comes ready plummed for Towtem. Cycle times seem about the same.Simple quick coupler (DX85 is simple as well). New 4 series.

Can't go wrong either way. DX85 seems like a more compact package
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-04-2013, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It seems like the doosan may be better for your situation depending on how long you plan to keep it and what dealer is better.

I personaly like the Kubota better, i have a U55 and love it, i plan to buy a kx080 next year.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-04-2013, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you have a Takeuchi dealer close by, you might want to demo a TB180. These TB machines are awesome at setting rocks. I can promise you that it will pickup rocks that no other machine in its class will pickup. This is due to the pivot point being under the machine instead of in front of the machine where the amount of lift capacity is reduced. Try one and you will see what I mean.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have run both quite extensively and must say they are both great machines. Doosan/bobcat 85 is a very nice machine but one thing that I found is having a side mounted engine it was a bit tipper then the kubota. The controls on the bobcat seemed to be a little bit cheaper in quality but it wasn't a big issue. The way that the plumbing is run on the kubota is much more "tidy" then the bobcat/ doosan.

Let me know what you end up doing I am in the exact same boat as you with these 2 machines . Thought for sure I would be taking the 85 home from that job that I used it on for a month, but the dealer has to wait another month before he can let it go due to an agreement with bobcat he has.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-04-2013, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Those are both slick machines. I'm not sure you can go too wrong with an excavator anymore....we have a smaller deere and takeuchi and both I have been very impressed with. At this point I'd be going what matches colors of the rest of my stuff if you have the luxury to buy new.

I'd really like something in this size but i'd end up getting something a bit older.

What do you find the difference to be in machines that have a swing boom vs. ones that have a fixed boom like a big excavator? I'm not sure what the right move here would be as I havn't spent much time in a full size excavator.

options would be in the range of kobelco sk70, case cx75, komatsu pc78mr, takeuchi tb175 , etc. I'd be open to what was a good deal.

sorry for the hijack of the thread, and thanks for any thoughts.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scagrider22 View Post
It seems like the doosan may be better for your situation depending on how long you plan to keep it and what dealer is better.

I personaly like the Kubota better, i have a U55 and love it, i plan to buy a kx080 next year.
Posted via Mobile Device
Our Dealer carries Kubota, Doosan and Bobcat so that's not an issue. It's up to me to decide which machine I like better. Also depends on financing and who offers the better deal. I know Kubota has .9% and Doosan has 1.9%... also they have different rebates if you pay cash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksss View Post
If you have a Takeuchi dealer close by, you might want to demo a TB180. These TB machines are awesome at setting rocks. I can promise you that it will pickup rocks that no other machine in its class will pickup. This is due to the pivot point being under the machine instead of in front of the machine where the amount of lift capacity is reduced. Try one and you will see what I mean.
I've seen a few Taki's around but have no idea where the dealer is. I think it's a good 45 minutes-1 hour away. We have such a good relationship with our dealer I don't want to go another way though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEL View Post
I have run both quite extensively and must say they are both great machines. Doosan/bobcat 85 is a very nice machine but one thing that I found is having a side mounted engine it was a bit tipper then the kubota. The controls on the bobcat seemed to be a little bit cheaper in quality but it wasn't a big issue. The way that the plumbing is run on the kubota is much more "tidy" then the bobcat/ doosan.

Let me know what you end up doing I am in the exact same boat as you with these 2 machines . Thought for sure I would be taking the 85 home from that job that I used it on for a month, but the dealer has to wait another month before he can let it go due to an agreement with bobcat he has.
Posted via Mobile Device
See I found the opposite. I thought the BC/Doosan seemed more well thought out as far as service/cab and controls went. I liked the Doosan controls better even though they are nothing like the DX180 joysticks. Which machine felt more smooth to you as far as operating goes? The DX85 had 6 hours on it and they need a little time to break in IMO. The Kubota had a couple hundred hours on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowellreid View Post
Those are both slick machines. I'm not sure you can go too wrong with an excavator anymore....we have a smaller deere and takeuchi and both I have been very impressed with. At this point I'd be going what matches colors of the rest of my stuff if you have the luxury to buy new.

I'd really like something in this size but i'd end up getting something a bit older.

What do you find the difference to be in machines that have a swing boom vs. ones that have a fixed boom like a big excavator? I'm not sure what the right move here would be as I havn't spent much time in a full size excavator.

options would be in the range of kobelco sk70, case cx75, komatsu pc78mr, takeuchi tb175 , etc. I'd be open to what was a good deal.

sorry for the hijack of the thread, and thanks for any thoughts.
It's tough to go wrong. I even went a took a look at a new Case CX75 even though our dealer was bought out by Titan and basically the new salesmen treated us like crap. Since then we've bought 3 Towtems, a DX180, 3 T770s a T750 and a S770 and other misc attachments from Lano since they treat us so well. I go in there and can talk to anyone and they know me by name. Even the mechanics.

The DX85 next to a KX080-3 Superboom. We could go that route as well and oddly enough the Superboom isn't an extra cost.

Old 12-04-2013, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornell View Post
Our Dealer carries Kubota, Doosan and Bobcat so that's not an issue. It's up to me to decide which machine I like better. Also depends on financing and who offers the better deal. I know Kubota has .9% and Doosan has 1.9%... also they have different rebates if you pay cash.

I've seen a few Taki's around but have no idea where the dealer is. I think it's a good 45 minutes-1 hour away. We have such a good relationship with our dealer I don't want to go another way though.

See I found the opposite. I thought the BC/Doosan seemed more well thought out as far as service/cab and controls went. I liked the Doosan controls better even though they are nothing like the DX180 joysticks. Which machine felt more smooth to you as far as operating goes? The DX85 had 6 hours on it and they need a little time to break in IMO. The Kubota had a couple hundred hours on it.

It's tough to go wrong. I even went a took a look at a new Case CX75 even though our dealer was bought out by Titan and basically the new salesmen treated us like crap. Since then we've bought 3 Towtems, a DX180, 3 T770s a T750 and a S770 and other misc attachments from Lano since they treat us so well. I go in there and can talk to anyone and they know me by name. Even the mechanics.

The DX85 next to a KX080-3 Superboom. We could go that route as well and oddly enough the Superboom isn't an extra cost.

My dealer is dropping off a new SVL90 tomorrow, he said 0% for 60 or $3,000 off if i pay cash. Yours should be the same.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-04-2013, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scagrider22 View Post
My dealer is dropping off a new SVL90 tomorrow, he said 0% for 60 or $3,000 off if i pay cash. Yours should be the same.
Posted via Mobile Device
I think its 5-6k off if the machine is paid for in cash in our case. We have to decide on which machine we think is best before the end of the year so there is some time.

Going to go back one more time and maybe drag each machine out to a sand site that isn't frozen and spend an hour each in them digging/etc.

Right now if I had to choose I think the DX85 would be the choice.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:34 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm sure you know this, but also this may be the last year for the 50% bonus Dep for new euipment.So add that on to the savings of what you already have, it's a good time too deal.As far as machines either sounds okay and luckly you have a good dealer close for which ever way you go.Good luck happy shopping!!!!!
Old 12-05-2013, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It's always nice to have the fleet the same but can't see either choice being bad. How much would it be to add the extra lines for the Towtem?