Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-05-2013, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

ROW & Green belt/common ground Mowing prices???????

I am sure I will get several different prices depending on the different areas.

WHAT ARE THE CURRENT MOWING PRICES PER ACRE / THOUSAND SQ FT of Utility turf like ROW and HOA common ground/ green belts?????? I am not talking yards or big condo units. I talking just plain mowing and nothing else, not even a weed eater.

I have a Friend who is thinking about doing Mow & Go type work. He has a 6 Ft Hustler Super X that would be perfect for that type of mowing given he could get paid enough to keep his equipment up and make a salary.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

$35.00 per acre is what some guy I know is getting. Have no idea what the going rate would be with multiple dip chits bidding.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zturncutter View Post
$35.00 per acre is what some guy I know is getting. Have no idea what the going rate would be with multiple dip chits bidding.
I see Valley Crest mowing a large HOA (Deep Creek) with $ 50K Golf Course Toro Bat Wing finish mowers. They have got to be getting a lot more money than $ 35.00 an acre. Besides that HOA has a lot of Wet Areas that are a PITA to mow.

What is the price range of mowing one acre open field/yard. How would that price change for 10 acres???

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 12-07-2013, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Member

We mow a 3 acre field for customer every 10 days just flat open they do there own trimming on fence row we charge 120.00 found out they were paying 150. But normally i figure flat mowing 2.00 per thousand including trimming etc.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-07-2013, 12:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middle Tennessee Lawn View Post
We mow a 3 acre field for customer every 10 days just flat open they do there own trimming on fence row we charge 120.00 found out they were paying 150. But normally i figure flat mowing 2.00 per thousand including trimming etc.
Posted via Mobile Device
OK. So you are charging $ 40.00 an acre on 3 acres. Depending on your Equipment, I can see making a nice profit. I mean there are a lot of factors here that can effect the Cost of doing business. How often you cut and rain fall are the Biggies as well as your equipment. Todays mowers can cut 3 acres in an hour, so you are making $ 100 an hour.

I like the 10 day schedule. Years ago A company in my town offered 10 mowing schedule at just under the going monthly price for weekly mowing. They would work 8 straight days then take 2 days off and start over again. Their pricing was such that while their month price was lower their per cut price was higher. They specialized in non irrigated or lesser quality lawns that the lower monthly price and lesser quality was appealing to the homeowners budget . BTW That Company was taken over by their son who ran it into the ground. However they made good money before giving it to their son.

The Famous Bank Robber Willie Sutton was ask why he robbed bank. He said because that was where the Money was. I think we some times think, Up scale or rich neighbors are the only place to make money. I chased the Up Scale work for years and still have many full service fine lawn customers. However Working Class people need service also. Working Class customers can be a lot easier to keep happy also.

Because of my licensing, My Idea here is to offer Fire Ant control along with utility type mowing. I am talking real basic service and no fertilization where we use ant baits and spot treatment from a shaker can on the Mower. BTW the lesser service has less chance of problems or Liability. However I am a senior citizen with no desire to actually do this myself. My plan is more along the lines of setting a friend up in business and let him work under my license.

Old 12-07-2013, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middle Tennessee Lawn View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
On a 10 day cycle these numbers are right on, fellow I know only mows on a 7 day cycle in season, sticks to the front stops with razor sharp Mamba blades. He is cutting a lot more than 3 acres though.