Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-07-2013, 12:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Nope, No point in spending another minute on it.....

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 12-07-2013, 01:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Gotta give that motor credit for hanging in there for 50 hours. I'd like to think that my maintenance procedures will give my equipment a good long life after seeing that.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrorob View Post
Sad part.....
Don't be sad Restro, let the guy know he can go to Harbor Freight and get a brand new engine

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic

RTFM What a concept

Old 12-11-2013, 10:19 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

not a mower but similar deal. a neighbor up the road who is an attorney did the same to his brand new f150. never checked or changed oil. he was maybe 35-40 years old if not older then. it is a 97 or so. he seized the engine in less than 20,000 miles I believe. it cost him 9,000 to fix. he said he never knew he had to check or change oil or any of that stuff. I don't know how he went 25-30 years of owning vehicles and not know this basic stuff. he still drives it to this day. must have tought him something at least.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Member

I had one guy this past year that had one of those cheap twin cylinder BRIGGS on a poulan he brought it in to my shop and said it doesn't have high end power "it just needs a tune-up" I put it in the shop and find the one connecting rod is snapped and a piece had went thru the block... so the TOUGH briggs continued to run on one cylinder I also had a guy that bought yard machine from me that I got in on a trade. Next day he comes driving back in the lane with this mower on his trailer and complains it wont start I check it out and see oil covering in the whole mower. I open the hood and find the dip-stick sit unscerwed on top of the fill tube. He had checked the oil but didn't tightener back up... You would surely think the spray of oil in this face would of alerted him to something being amiss

Toro
Dolmar
Maruyama
Old 12-11-2013, 11:05 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallengineshop View Post
... You would surely think the spray of oil in this face would of alerted him to something being amiss
I'd say something is definitely amiss.......or ajar!!!

......AMF!
Old 12-11-2013, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just goes to show that people do not read manuals. Plus, if he punched the hole, sorry...window in the air filter housing, he must have known that the clogged air filter was the problem. Not for nothing, but I read every manual for my power equipment. If I don't have it, I download it.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimslawncareservice View Post
not a mower but similar deal. a neighbor up the road who is an attorney did the same to his brand new f150. never checked or changed oil. he was maybe 35-40 years old if not older then. it is a 97 or so. he seized the engine in less than 20,000 miles I believe. it cost him 9,000 to fix. he said he never knew he had to check or change oil or any of that stuff. I don't know how he went 25-30 years of owning vehicles and not know this basic stuff. he still drives it to this day. must have tought him something at least.
My step brother did that on a dodge v6 ram. Bought brand new in 07, in 2010 with 48000 miles the motor locked up. He claimed he didn't know you were supposed to get the oil changed, what did he think we were doing at the oil change place all the time..... $2200 mistake learned him real quick....

13 Gravely 460 60" 31hp
13 BB AOS 35hp 4 cylinder Cat 72"
13 BB XP 31hp Kawasaki 61", 13' 36hp 61 xp
2013 Grasshopper 325D 61" 4x rear discharge w/suspension forks !Awesome!
13 GH 725D Rear Discharge 61" 13' 430D 72"
07 Bad Boy Lightning 52 inch with 26hp LC Kawasaki (just hit 3000 hours and going strong after rolling down the road and totaling out at 22 hours!)
2012 Dodge 2500 Diesel 4x4 Custom!
08 Chevy 1500 v8 Shop dog
"Mow With an Attitude"
Old 12-11-2013, 04:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwwolfe View Post
but I read every manual for my power equipment. If I don't have it, I download it.
And that makes you a minority among many. But the scary part is what I deal with, is guys that think they know what they know, if that makes sense.....

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic

RTFM What a concept

Old 12-12-2013, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Idiot is right. It doesn't take more than a minute to knock most of the gunk from the air filter so you can reuse it. Yet this guy punches a hole in the top! To run an engine low on oil is just, what's that word, stupid!