Register free!
Search
 
     

Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-04-2013, 10:37 AM
alldayrj's Avatar
alldayrj alldayrj is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Long island, NY
Posts: 2,966
How to install large stone slab steps on a patio?

Building a patio here:
[/URL]
Need two sets of steps going into the doors.
Installing 3 steps made of these:
[/URL]

Aesthetics aside!!! What is preferred method of installation, steps first and patio around or patio then steps glued down? Seems like the second way is easiest and i can't see anything fundamentally wrong with it but I'm curious.

Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-04-2013, 12:08 PM
alldayrj's Avatar
alldayrj alldayrj is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Long island, NY
Posts: 2,966
Since they have a rockface front and side I'm wary of base showing if i don't install them on the pavers
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-04-2013, 12:43 PM
scagrider22 scagrider22 is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: somewhere
Posts: 1,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayrj View Post
Since they have a rockface front and side I'm wary of base showing if i don't install them on the pavers
Posted via Mobile Device
Never install steps, seat walls, firepits or anything else on top of pavers, looks like crap.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-04-2013, 01:05 PM
DVS Hardscaper's Avatar
DVS Hardscaper DVS Hardscaper is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: County Jail
Posts: 5,761
We ALWAYS build steps first. And the reason is because the steps are what dictate the elevations of all everything else involved (patio, seat walls, fire features, pillars, etc). You can always change the grade of a patio (in most cases), but you really can't change the grade of steps, the risers must flow consistently to the top. So the steps are done first.
__________________
"It's You vs. You"

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"


My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-04-2013, 02:46 PM
alldayrj's Avatar
alldayrj alldayrj is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Long island, NY
Posts: 2,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by scagrider22 View Post
Never install steps, seat walls, firepits or anything else on top of pavers, looks like crap.
Posted via Mobile Device
What about it looks like crap? Serious question, can you explain
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-04-2013, 02:48 PM
alldayrj's Avatar
alldayrj alldayrj is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Long island, NY
Posts: 2,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
We ALWAYS build steps first. And the reason is because the steps are what dictate the elevations of all everything else involved (patio, seat walls, fire features, pillars, etc). You can always change the grade of a patio (in most cases), but you really can't change the grade of steps, the risers must flow consistently to the top. So the steps are done first.
If all the grades are set and i know exactly where i have to end up, is there anything wrong ( besides preference) with steps on pavers?
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-04-2013, 03:02 PM
scagrider22 scagrider22 is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: somewhere
Posts: 1,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayrj View Post
What about it looks like crap? Serious question, can you explain
Posted via Mobile Device
Put the steps in first and build around them it looks like home owner did it if you set anything on top of pavers.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-04-2013, 05:26 PM
billc1004 billc1004 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: SOUTH JERSEY
Posts: 124
pour concrete where the steps will go . dont lay in the steps that are 6" high and install a 3 " paver leaving a 3 " rise . install the steps last rolling them in on schedule 40 pipes thats my opinion .
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-04-2013, 05:37 PM
DVS Hardscaper's Avatar
DVS Hardscaper DVS Hardscaper is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: County Jail
Posts: 5,761
So you'd rather install the pavement, then hump all the step material, aggregate, mortar, over the pavement?

And have a laborer scratch the pavement with the legs on a wheel-burrr?
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-04-2013, 06:03 PM
scagrider22 scagrider22 is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: somewhere
Posts: 1,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by billc1004 View Post
pour concrete where the steps will go . dont lay in the steps that are 6" high and install a 3 " paver leaving a 3 " rise . install the steps last rolling them in on schedule 40 pipes thats my opinion .
That doesnt make much sense, if you know hoe to figure out grades you can install the concrete and steps first...
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:37 AM.

Page generated in 0.07734 seconds with 10 queries