Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-09-2013, 12:29 AM
LawnSite Member

Trailer size and stand on mower question..

First off i live in the Destin area about an hour and a half east of Pensacola.
So in reading some of the comments I read that when buying a trailer it's good to buy big. I know it has to do with what your plan is as far as growing. My question I guess...well I found a seemingly decent deal on a used 7x16 double axle with a box on the tung etc. I would prefer to post pics but I can't figure out how from my iPhone (if someone knows how let me know). Anyway, my goal is to have a balanced mix of commercial and residential clients. With all the little associations and little neighborhoods in the area might this trailer end up being a pain because of its size or am I just being paranoid?
As far as a stand on mower goes, do they really a bad rutting problem or does it have a lot to do with the weight of the operator (no offense to any of you big boys). I only weight about 160lbs if that helps.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-09-2013, 02:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm around your size and I use a gravely 52 stander and it doesn't rut up any turf. I never mow in un-ideal conditions either though...
Old 12-09-2013, 01:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

For a single or two-man operation, I think a 16' is as large as you'd ever need. If this trailer is just "a decent deal", you may look for something else like a 12' V-nose with single axle. The smaller trailer will pull much easier and be less of a size issue in tight places. Just pulling into a gas station will show the difference in 4' and the extra axle. Think efficiency, time- and expense-wise. Personally, I wouldn't do it.

You can get all this in a 12' V-nose. I have a 21" up the side you can't see. But, usually I only have my 60", 30", and 21" with me.

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
'14 Ariens Compact 24" Sno-Thro
'08 Troy Bilt Squall 2100
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 12-09-2013, 01:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
For a single or two-man operation, I think a 16' is as large as you'd ever need. If this trailer is just "a decent deal", you may look for something else like a 12' V-nose with single axle. The smaller trailer will pull much easier and be less of a size issue in tight places. Just pulling into a gas station will show the difference in 4' and the extra axle. Think efficiency, time- and expense-wise. Personally, I wouldn't do it.

You can get all this in a 12' V-nose. I have a 21" up the side you can't see. But, usually I only have my 60", 30", and 21" with me.
That is a clean trailer! What are you using to hold the kombi attachments? To the OP standers won't rut unless using 36in with narrow tires. That is a big trailer for starting out and might be more of a hassle then it worth.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-09-2013, 02:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseysmowing View Post
That is a clean trailer! What are you using to hold the kombi attachments? To the OP standers won't rut unless using 36in with narrow tires. That is a big trailer for starting out and might be more of a hassle then it worth.
Posted via Mobile Device
The reason I was going for a an open long bed was for tree and palm pruning. Or would it be more advantageous to get a 6x12 v nose for the equipment and another trailer just for debris??
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-09-2013, 02:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post

Is that a 30' ztr in the front? What is it?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-09-2013, 02:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseysmowing View Post
That is a clean trailer! What are you using to hold the kombi attachments?
I used a Gladiator rack system. I added a rod, just below each track, to bungee the stuff. Their S-hooks require downward tension to hold things. The handhelds just hang in their hooks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessefloyd1 View Post
The reason I was going for a an open long bed was for tree and palm pruning. Or would it be more advantageous to get a 6x12 v nose for the equipment and another trailer just for debris??
I beg your pardon. I saw "box" in your opening post and somehow mixed that with the size and "trailer" and came up with "7X16 box trailer".

As for separate trailers, that's totally up to you. I don't normally have a lot of debris. I plan for most clean-up stuff. For leaves I just throw them in the truck bed or trailer, depending how much. I have a flatbed (7'X10') truck, for the big piles. For sure, you need some way a hauling limbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessefloyd1 View Post
Is that a 30' ztr in the front? What is it?
Hustler 42" FasTrak ZTR.

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
'14 Ariens Compact 24" Sno-Thro
'08 Troy Bilt Squall 2100
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 12-10-2013, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Member

I would go for a 16 foot trailer. A twelve foot gets small real fast. I would also highly recomend a box trailer.

We run 18 and 24 foot trailers and I love having the extra space to be equipped for EVERYTHING.

With that being said, you should know your situation best.
Posted via Mobile Device