Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-10-2013, 01:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Facebook and pay to play

Chris Heiler (landscape industry consultant) linked to this on FB: https://www.facebook.com/business/ne...for-Businesses

Sounds like a given that they're going to be pushing businesses more and more to a pay to play model, especially given this statement from the article: "Because the content in News Feed is always changing, and weíre seeing more people sharing more content, Pages will likely see changes in distribution. For many Pages, this includes a decline in organic reach. "

Anyone else seeing this already? Used to be I'd reach about 25-30% of fans with my posts, now that magic 16% is actually a pretty decent day. I think it's going to make a lot of SMBs rethink their Facebook strategies.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, I just don't see FB as a good strategy for small businesses- especially local ones. If I already had a following I would keep cultivating it. But how much time is it worth developing a following that you can barely target?

Houzz
Old 12-10-2013, 02:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That's what I'm struggling with. I have 427 followers, and I would love to blow that # way up, but I recognize that that's more because I'm a "let's whip 'em out and compare" kind of person than expecting to get a real return. The last time I paid to boost a post I was really disappointed with the result, too. It was "seen" by a few thousand people, but in the past when I've had a post organically get that many views I've added 10+ followers. On the boosted ones, I added no one. Seems pointless to me.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well if you decide to try it out, let us know how it works. I am always curious...

Related topic- if you do Adwords, you will soon be able to take a G+ post and promote it across Google's display network. http://searchengineland.com/google-d...-on-gdn-179401

Houzz
Old 12-10-2013, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by headz77 View Post
Yeah, I just don't see FB as a good strategy for small businesses- especially local ones. If I already had a following I would keep cultivating it. But how much time is it worth developing a following that you can barely target?
Completely agree. I already don't think FB is a great, or even mediocre, avenue for local service business. With this evolution, it's even less so.

If you look at what your FB marketing has accomplished for you so far, is that something you would now pay for? If you go back and assign value or ROI to what you have gained from your FB Page, where does that line up with what it would have cost you under whatever pricing they come up with?
Old 12-11-2013, 09:09 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
If you look at what your FB marketing has accomplished for you so far, is that something you would now pay for?
Nope. Let's say I set $30 as my threshold for a boosted post. There's still time that goes into it, because obviously I'm not boosting any random post, I'm boosting something I think will convert. So, thirty bucks and a small block of time, and so far nothing's come even close to converting. Or I can spend that thirty bucks and go to a networking event at the Tower Club and meet one or two people who may end up great referral partners.

I will most likely continue using FB for two reasons. It will encourage me to dig for content, which will lead to more and better content for my blog; and it has served as a way of helping me find my brand's voice, so I think that's important (I'm currently rebranding and even my wife said "tell her to look at your FB page to see what you're about more than your website").

But I can't see paying at this point. The numbers aren't there for me.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Member

From what we've seen, FB posting reach has diminished already over the last several months and paid promotion of the postings has a return rate almost as low Google Adwords. I don't think that there is anything wrong with having a Facebook account that can be kept up-to-date with the work that you do. It is still a good way to let people see that you're active and see the quality of your work via photos. Also, some people actually search for service providers on Facebook, as opposed to Google or a directory service like Angie's List, Kudzu, etc.