Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-10-2013, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Member

An Office/Shop...Is it worth it?

This is to those of you that have taken that step and are renting or purchased a office/shop location separate from your home. Has it paid off? Was it worth the investment? Has your customer base increased as a direct result of having the office/shop location? Has it saved you money in other areas? Let's see if I have any other questions..Is theft a problem?
That's about it for now, but more will probably come up.

I've been in business almost 20 years and I've always just used my home as my base of operations. I have my equipment here, I work on everything here, and I have my office in my home but I also own a separate commercial bldg. that could be turned into a pretty nice office/shop. The office space is already there but I would have to build a small storage/shop area and would have to fence the lot in. I'm just wondering if it would be worth it. I'll be honest, my biggest concern is people breaking in and stealing or vandalizing my equipment. Thanks for your response..
2008 Yamaha 350 Grizzly
742 Bobcat
7x16 Enclosed Homesteader Trailer
7x16 Landscape Trailer
7x16 Landscape Trailer double gates
(2) Snappers Pro 52" WB's
2012 Scag Turf Tiger
Whole bunch of weedeaters and blowers, etc.
[B]MainTainZ Property Services
Taking Care of What God Gave Us
Old 12-10-2013, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If your Married it is.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Member

I don't have an answer, just I've thought of the same thing, don't know how well I could sleep with all my equipment across town or even just down the road, for sure id have an good alarm, cameras, and a chain link fence, maybe even some pit bulls in the lot, haha. I have very little storage at my place, even have to back my trailer all the way down my drive way. I would think a professional office with staff there during the day and even have new customers call that number instead of my cell would be great. I hate missing current customers calls but most always let new customers go to voice mail, sometimes easier to remember names, addresses. good luck with the answer you seek.
scag 1648 belt drive wb
stihl 94
stihl 90s
Kawasaki 27b
stihl 600 bb
stihl 101 pole saw
echo chainsaw

dodge 4x4 1500 quad cab.
6x14 hustler trailer
john deere 650 utility tractor.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a shop and land about 2 miles from our house and it's deffinately nice. Nice to keep buisness and life seperate sometimes. I wouldn't worry about vandelism and theft as much as you do. If you have theft insurance and maybe take some other steps like fences or camera's and locks on things. I haven't had a single problem yet. Having my own shop and yard has alot of benefits and you can grow your buisness fatser with more room to grow and less hassle than cluttering your home up.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I know a shop is in my future as I have out grown my 2 car garage and room for storage on the side if my house.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-10-2013, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Member

I've owned the building for about 6 years and it's just sitting there, so I think it makes sense to use it as a office/shop. I was just wondering what benefits and pitfalls I might run into if I did make that step. The property is almost 1/2 acre and the bldg. itself is about 900 sq. ft. (with two bathrooms, kitchen, and the rest is open floor space), which is plenty enough room for a office but like I said, I would have to put up another bldg. of some sort (maybe metal) for the shop and storage. I'm not a huge operation. I was at one time but I sold out about 3 years ago and then I started a new company and have been experiencing good growth. With my new company, I want to do things differently than I did with the one that I sold. With my new company, I have changed the type of equipment I use, the vehicles that I use, I started wearing uniforms, I started pulling an enclosed trailer, and my customer base is different. So, I have made several changes but the whole separate location is the one thing that I just can't seem to pull the trigger on. Thanks for all your comments. I really do appreciate any input.
2008 Yamaha 350 Grizzly
742 Bobcat
7x16 Landscape Trailer
2012 Scag Turf Tiger
Old 12-10-2013, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I can say yhere is nothing better in my book. I have had many size shops...and ran from home too. At home it clutters your yard and at home i find other things to do. Having a shop allows my guys to work on equipment without me being there. I dont worry about theft....i have insurance. Having my office space keeps all my business stuff seperate from the home stuff. And just simply having an office does make an impression kn clients too. The cost are high for good space...and if you are doing 20 properties a week...maybe it isnt right for you. But over my years i have rented all sizes...even rented two 15x50 storage sheds. I have always found something to fit my business at that particular time. I am now paying 1200 for a 60x120 with a 20x20 office. It is plenty of room .......for now..lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-10-2013, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have a separate rented storage area for equipment to free up my garage. It was great before I bought more gear. Now my storage space and garage is full of gear and the car and jeep is in the driveway. I am looking forward to the day I can have a secure shop away from home and just drive my jeep to work.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGuysLC View Post
I can say yhere is nothing better in my book. I have had many size shops...and ran from home too. At home it clutters your yard and at home i find other things to do. Having a shop allows my guys to work on equipment without me being there. I dont worry about theft....i have insurance. Having my office space keeps all my business stuff seperate from the home stuff. And just simply having an office does make an impression kn clients too. The cost are high for good space...and if you are doing 20 properties a week...maybe it isnt right for you. But over my years i have rented all sizes...even rented two 15x50 storage sheds. I have always found something to fit my business at that particular time. I am now paying 1200 for a 60x120 with a 20x20 office. It is plenty of room .......for now..lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Well, I have insurance on all my equipment and I carry insurance on the building but I know I would definitely need to fence the lot and put some cameras up. I, right now, have more than 60 accounts and many of those are large complexes that I perform total, year round maintenance which covers everything. So I feel that I have the enough business to qualify a business office/shop. I guess I know my answer, I'm just trying to convince myself that the added expenses will be worthwhile.
2008 Yamaha 350 Grizzly
742 Bobcat
7x16 Landscape Trailer
2012 Scag Turf Tiger
Old 12-10-2013, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knox gsl View Post
I have a separate rented storage area for equipment to free up my garage. It was great before I bought more gear. Now my storage space and garage is full of gear and the car and jeep is in the driveway. I am looking forward to the day I can have a secure shop away from home and just drive my jeep to work.
Yeah, I feel you. I've got a storage bldg. that is full, I have my enclosed trailer that is full, and my wife hasn't been about to park in our 2 car garage for the last 2 years. I have 4 trucks and 4 trailers parked in my yard. So, it's getting really crowded and starting to look a little junky..
2008 Yamaha 350 Grizzly
742 Bobcat
7x16 Landscape Trailer
2012 Scag Turf Tiger

Tags
lawn care , office , storage , theft , work shop