Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-03-2014, 04:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Ipads in the field or at work

Do any of you use iPads out in the field or at work for like scheduling and writing down what you did at each job or any apps that you use every day on your ipad? Any help and answers would be greatly appreciated, just looking for a way to utilize a tax write off! lol
Old 01-03-2014, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Very similar interest here... I have been using a laptop in the truck but would love for some justification of the iPad instead. Without the storage room and keyboard I have been having a tough time convincing myself it would be half as useful for business as a laptop.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am currently test driving Jobber on my samsung tab3 10.1" tablet (jobber or a similar program was the justification for buying a tablet). So far, Jobber is offering me everything I could want with full functionality on a tablet. It does, job notes, estimates, invoices, account details, time tracking, electronic payment, etc etc etc. I only a few hours on it just playing with it and it is VERY easy to figure out. It is currently browser based so it works on android and iOS. Apps are in the works, I would expect them to be out by spring.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

using a Panasonic Toughbook CF30, it will take anything I can dish out and keep working. Also the docking station is nice to keeps it at the ready,. There is no excuse for not keeping ALL the accounts current.

New for this season...
Old 01-04-2014, 06:50 AM
LawnSite Member

I have been using an iPad 3 years and am very pleased with how I can 'run' my business with it. There are calendar options that allow you have multiple calendars so I have one dedicated to work scheduling. For estimates, invoicing and tracking account activity I use InvoiceToGo (although I would probabaly look for an alternative if I was subject to the current use fees). It is not an excessive amount by any means but I am small enough that it makes a difference to me. I also have Joist downloaded (free), looks to be very similar to I2Go and would work for me. Printing is not a problem as long as you have an up-to-date printer that prints wirelessly. Print N Share can help with printing tasks with older wireless printers that are not necessarily Mac compatible, I used it for a year +.
Lastly, I use Dropbox to hold all of my equipment manuals in digital form.

Also, I am not a digital techie and I find that all of these work well with minimal time and effort, that is important to me. I am more mechincally inclined than digitally competent, ease of use and simplicity is important to me.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:45 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by balms View Post
Lastly, I use Dropbox to hold all of my equipment manuals in digital form.
I use dropbox to share necessary company files between myself and my 2 supervisors already, but I love the idea of the digital equipment manuals. Thanks for the info!

Keep them coming guys this is great insight...
Old 01-04-2014, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Also, for those of you that have had iPads for awhile how do you keep them from getting too hot and overheating in the summertime when you keep them locked up in the truck?
Old 01-04-2014, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Subscribed....I'm old fashioned and still use a notebook and pen but interested in changing over to an android tablet.
People pay you to hold their hand. If you don't like doing it, then you are in the wrong business.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I always cover my iPhone/iPod when on the job. When/if they do get too hot they will show a warning on the screen and not function until they cool down.

Also, I've found that having a separate iPhone and iPad/iPod for music in my truck is wise...because when any iDevice is on the cord for music purposes it will get even warmer from being simultaneously charged which will affect battery life over time. Not sure about more current iPhones, but I believe it is at least $70 to have a new battery installed.
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 01-07-2014, 01:03 PM
LawnSite Member

I looked into iPads and I've used an iPhone since they came out but personally haven't found how they are helpful for my business except for emailing and Internet availability. I went for the surface pro tablet. Works great for me. Runs windows and widows programs and as portable as an iPad. Just my suggestion but a laptop is really just as easy and much cheaper. On the same note the tablet is touch screen but can use regular keyboard as well. Something to look at
Posted via Mobile Device