Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-22-2013, 11:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Questions about Spring and Fall Clean ups

What do your Spring and Fall clean ups consist of mainly? I hear so many people talk about doing them and charging extra for them, what are you actually doing?
Old 12-22-2013, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Typically its just a clean up of the leaves in the yard and all areas around the house like plant beds, patios and decks. Some guys do it once a week for the last four weeks of the mowing season. Others will do a whole bunch of them during the last few weeks of the fall season. Most guys offer a haulaway service of all debris. Some properties will let you dump debris in their woods and such. Spring and fall clean ups are a great way to add a ton of revenue in a short period of time becuase of what you can charge. Ive never done a clean up for under a hundred dollars. I usually try to make about $70/hr doing them although I never price them out hourly.
2014 John Deere Z920M
2011 Husqvarna 5424 ZTR
(2) Craftsman Push Mowers
Stihl trimmers
Echo Blowers
6x10 open utility trailer
6x12 Enclosed Trailer
YardBros Outdoors
www.yardbros.com

Old 12-22-2013, 12:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Here in TN most people have lirope in beds and we cut it down flush. Get up all leaves sticks limbs, we clean gutters for 99. On one story and play dumb on two story lol. Usually all shubs need trimming. Some customers like to mulch so they will look good through holidays.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-22-2013, 12:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

All depends on where you are. Your cleanup in GA will be completely different than a cleanup done here in Maine. Many accounts up here need plow damage cleaned up. Sand and rocks/debris removed from lawns and driveways ect.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-22-2013, 01:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i don't really do spring cleanups unless it's a new customer that didn't have a fall cleanup done.

on existing customers i just blow leaves out of the beds and such into the yard and then mulch them up with the mower. i do this from the beginning of nov until right before christmas. do each yard every two weeks so about 3-4 times. i charge a little more than a regular mowing. it only takes a little longer than a normal mowing does.

3/4 of my customers don't get their leaves done where i live in alabama. either they have a very few trees in their yard or none at all. the other 1/4 have several trees in their yards and get them removed.
Old 12-22-2013, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Remove debris (leaves, branches, litter) from the beds, lawns, decks, patios, cellar stairs, driveway, street next to the curb.

Some people want it done weekly from about the last week October. Ending in the first week of December. I try to do 3 visits before Thanksgiving and 1 visit after. I use Thanksgiving week as an off week if I am caught up.

Then there are people that want to wait until all the leaves are down. Then they have you come and do 1 clean up. I will do weekly and 1 shot deals.

In the spring there is always branches fallen from storms, stubborn leaves that never wanted to fall down in the fall, and leaves that blow into the yard from other properties. So the property needs another clean up to look nice and get the lawns free of debris so they are ready to mow.

For me spring clean ups are done in March so mowing can start in April. Of course snow, and the grass staying dormant can delay the start of spring clean ups.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

yes i'll add there is always some debris in the spring but i just mow over it like a normal mowing and it's gone when i'm done. so nothing special is done. it's just a regular mowing not really a "clean up".
Old 12-23-2013, 04:09 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

We don't typically do clean-ups for our regular maintenance customers because their landscapes are already clean, since we service them weekly.

So our clean-ups are typically for new clients that we've never worked for before. Usually, someone who has let their landscape go for 3-6 months or more. So there's usually fairly tall grass to mow, shrubs to prune, hedging, weeding beds, raking leaves and a lot of the time there is some lawn repair needed (over-seeding, strong fertilizer, maybe aerating) to get their lawn back in shape.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 12-23-2013, 08:58 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze View Post
yes i'll add there is always some debris in the spring but i just mow over it like a normal mowing and it's gone when i'm done. so nothing special is done. it's just a regular mowing not really a "clean up".
I think it is a mistake to not sell a spring clean up even when a fall clean up was done.

Debris will find their way back into the beds and lawn. Odds are that the volume of debris will be less they need to be cleaned up to get the property looking nice.

Another reason we use lawn mowers not debris mowers. Chopping up a twig is one thing but a bunch of branches and debris is another.

Not doing a spring clean up is leaving money on the table. Doing clean ups in March to get the lawns ready to mow brings in income a month earlier before you start mowing in April.

Never leave money on the table.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

they won't go for that where i live. if they did i would be doing it.