Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-11-2013, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Grade my website

http://aaronslawnservice.net/

Ok, I got my hard hat on and the thick skin was installed earlier this evening. I know some of the faults of my site. SEO, I have no idea what it means. All pics but 1 are from the web which will be corrected next spring and summer. All text is mine, I'm a stickler on grammar and spelling. Not good on punctuation anymore...Please let me know where I screwed up on my text. Thank you guys so much I know I will get lots of feed back!!!

Aaron
Old 12-11-2013, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I like your site, I'm not a huge computer guy so I will leave it up to the others around here to take care of that for you. The only thing I don't like is the grass background, but that is just my personal preference.
Exmark Lazer Z 60"
Toro 52" Proline
John Deere LT155
(2) Husky Backpack Blower BT150
Echo Edger
Echo Trimmer
and American Muscle
Old 12-11-2013, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thank you!! It's a templated background I chose.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i think the color and layout look good. I like the grass background.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I was a little hesitant about the brown background but the text stands out nice
Old 12-12-2013, 11:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Took a quick look. My immediate impression is that it loads quickly, PC and mobile. That's great. Social media buttons, nice. Pictures are ok. As you said, they are stock- not such a big deal for maintenance companies. It's clean and simple, which is what you need.

My suggestions:
1- I don't like the green text on the home page. Similar text is white, and a different font, on other pages. Pick a color and font for a certain type of text- and use it sitewide.
2- Make the homepage customer oriented. Describe how they benefit- not the specific techniques or quality of equipment. For example- "Servicing all of Garrett Co. and the Frostburg, MD area with the best quality service. All driveways, patios, and landscape areas will be blown off after service from all yard material. All asphalt and concrete surfaces will be edged every service." Could be: "Live in Garrett Co. or the Frostburg area? Come home every week to a manicured weed-free lawn. And don't worry about tracking any clippings into the house- our cleanup is meticulous!" Just an example...
3- The our story page is a disaster. Tel your story- it sounds interesting. Get a picture of yourself on this page. I would put it on the home page too, especially since you don't have original work pics.
4- Again- people don't care how nice your equipment is. They don't care how fast you are growing. Tell them the results for them, not how you get there or how your company benefits.

Just my 2 cents! Hope it helps, you are well on your way.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm seeing the majority of your content overflowing their divs. If you don't understand what a div is, an easy way to see them on your site is to look at the lighter brown areas. Those are the divs that hold the content. The dark brown is the main area background color. The simplest reason could be that you're just putting too much content in to the space GoDaddy's template allocates for each particular section. It starts with the logo being to large for their div and continues on down.

I recall another lawnsiter using this exact theme, so you may be able to track it down in the archives and see how their's looks.

(It's been said, time and again, on here, but GoDaddy really should be the gun-to-head, last choice for DIY and hosting)
Old 12-12-2013, 11:22 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

So, a quick Google search of "site:lawnsite.com brown godaddy" brought me the other lawnsite member who uses that theme. Notice the header difference? You might start there and see if that fixes your problems, although it will require a radically smaller logo.

http://www.tmlgroundscare.com/
Old 12-12-2013, 03:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The image on your home page, if you do a reverse image search on google, comes back on dozens of other lawn care sites. I know, I know, the images are temporary, but given where you are the soonest you're going to be able to get decent shots of your own is what, May? June? When you're slammed. If you're going to use random photos, at least be artistic about it. Pic some good quality stock photography (you can buy enough images off of iStockphoto for your whole site for under $75) and don't feel like you have to use the whole photo. Crop out the section you think looks good. There's a landscape designer local to me who does a great job with this. I look at her site, as another pro, and I think wait - has she actually ever DONE an installed design? But I bet homeowners just go "ooooh pretty!"

I did something similar for the headers on my site. Like this: http://www.revolutionarygardens.com/resources/ Personally I think that makes more sense than a front yard that sure looks like California, not MD.

As for the Story page, have a strong mission statement or don't have one. And the company history is pretty weak. "....was built upon by two well known and respected families of Garrett County." Um, ok? 1) do these families have a name and 2) so what? Your family owns the local mill and the Ford dealership, it doesn't mean you'll make my yard look good. You titled it "our story", I want a story. Make me invested in YOU and your business. Tell me this: who started the company/ Who runs it? Who will I be talking to when I call you? Why are you in this business? Why should I trust you to do a better job than Joe Blow who's left me enough fliers over the years to heat my house? If you're just totally, completely stuck, hit me up via PM and I'll see what I can do. I get the sense there's a nugget of a good story there.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with PC, your story would be the strongest part of the site as far as selling your service goes.

I'd actually like to hear it...