Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-11-2013, 02:10 AM
LawnSite Member

so confused

hey guys! havent been on in awhile. and have tried almost every thing to get this lawn care biz of the ground. Ran ad's in 3 different papers with no luck, did the door hanger thing and got 2 calls from those and was told 75 was to much to mow a 1.5 acre lot with crazy trim work. BUt yet they complained they paid the other guy 60 and he never trimmed ! Go figure? So the next brilliant idea I have is running ad once again in the local paper offer 12 months contracts at $100= $1200 a year for mowing lawns every 10 days during the on months and plowing snow on the winter months. the average city lot should take me no longer then 30 mins so thats 30 a cut. then plowing is hit or miss here in ny. Of course I would have to write up contacts to out line every thing but its just a idea. what do ya think please let me know
Old 12-11-2013, 05:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I recommend working a regular job and doing this on the side till you get established. I've never done door hangers but allot of people on here say it is a good idea. Never ever give up. I never stop marketing. Get you some business cards made through vista print (cheap). Hand them out like you are a politician. Whether people on here will admit it or not, most all of us started just like you. Don't ever stop talking about what you do to everyone. Sell yourself. Do good work and stand behind it (even when you underbid a job cause we all do it). Your work and your voice is all you have right now. Make the most of both.
1978 F-350 Dump Truck
1988 Z-71 Chevy 4x4 Meyers Plow
2005 Chevy HD 2500 6.0
1989 Toyota One ton Flatbed
2013 61" Bad Boy Outlaw XP 36 Vanguard
2013 54" Bad Boy Outlaw Stander Kawasaki
2014 48" Wright Walk Behind
Old 12-11-2013, 08:29 AM
LawnSite Member

Lawn Signs work for me and door hangers. I have ran ads in three different papers for 2years and picked up two yards. This year I did door hangers and picked up 5yards. If you know anyone who owns a large lawn care business ask them if they would be willing to let you know if they drop smaller yards. For example I dropped 4yards this year all of the people paid on time and paid well but they required a lot of pushing and I am established enough now I am no longer willing to push that much when I had to turn down some better yards this year because of lack of time.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:55 AM
LawnSite Member

Time to get of the mower and run your business

When you give up like you said, good paying customers that are high profit clients and you don't want to PUSH any more you are heading in the wrong direction,Hire some help and build your business your are a business man not a lawn service worker, Just my opinion like it or not.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

It took me 3 years to get a full schedule, keep on plugging away.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:13 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjf View Post
So the next brilliant idea I have is running ad once again in the local paper offer 12 months contracts at $100= $1200 a year for mowing lawns every 10 days during the on months and plowing snow on the winter months. the average city lot should take me no longer then 30 mins so thats 30 a cut. then plowing is hit or miss here in ny.
You should really do the math on this.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Blanket contracts are not a good idea due to differences in properties that can add time to the job ~ IE a corner lot (usually larger than surrounding neighbors) with added trimming/sweeping. Fall's leaves is another whole different story as well...bagging/hauling/mulching? Also, if folks fertilize whether commercially or doing it themselves...you will NOT want to mow every 10 days in the Spring. Heck, mowing every 7 days is not soon enough in my neck of the woods during Apr/May & into June.
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 12-11-2013, 10:36 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
hey guys! havent been on in awhile. and have tried almost every thing to get this lawn care biz of the ground. Ran ad's in 3 different papers with no luck, did the door hanger thing and got 2 calls from those and was told 75 was to much to mow a 1.5 acre lot with crazy trim work. BUt yet they complained they paid the other guy 60 and he never trimmed ! Go figure? So the next brilliant idea I have is running ad once again in the local paper offer 12 months contracts at $100= $1200 a year for mowing lawns every 10 days during the on months and plowing snow on the winter months. the average city lot should take me no longer then 30 mins so thats 30 a cut. then plowing is hit or miss here in ny. Of course I would have to write up contacts to out line every thing but its just a idea. what do ya think please let me know
Maybe it's your marketing message that is the reason for poor marketing results. Show us the newspaper ads you ran and the door hanger you hung. Did you run the same ad in all 3 newspapers? Did the ad run multiple times in each paper or did it only run once? Where in the newspaper did your ad appear? How big was the ad? Color or black & white? What are the demographics of the newspaper subscribers and are these readers your potential clients? How many door hangers did it take to get those 2 responses? Did you target the right neighborhoods? When did you hang the door hangers? How many times did you hang each door? Is your door hanger's marketing message geared towards the potential clients in the neighborhoods you hung them in? Maybe it's something with your client interaction that is hurting your sales. How does your price compare to the lawn companies that service the market you are trying to enter? You priced yourself $15 higher than the other guy. Why? Did you consider that maybe the other guy was charging $60 but not delivering $60 worth of service? You even said he doesn't trim…maybe the quality he is delivering is only worth $45 but he is overcharging his clients and getting $60. The clients obviously don't feel like they are getting $60 worth of service out of their current lawn guy.
www.awlandscapers.com

Hustler X-One 60"
Wright Stander RH 36"
eXmark 21" ECXKA21 Mower
Stihl FC110 Edger
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl FS55R Trimmer
Stihl HS56C Hedge Trimmer
Stihl MS391 25" Bar Chainsaw
RedMax EBZ7100 Blower
Earthquake 16" Rear Tine Tiller
Honda 9" Mini Tiller FG110
2014 GMC Sierra Denali HD
7' x 16' Enclosed V-Nose Trailer
6' x 12' Dump Trailer
Equipment & Work thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=415830
Old 12-11-2013, 11:40 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

There has to be a better way to advertise than in a newspaper. People don't read the paper anymore, they get their news from the internet.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-11-2013, 12:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i'd look into a website and internet marketing to add to what your already are doing. I never had much luck with door hangers myself, i know some do good off it though. I never put out enough to see a good return. my website and building an online presence turned things around a bit for me. I'd search more on here and read up in the web discussion forum, lots of good advice there.

Quote: