Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-12-2013, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Help The Newbie... Thanks Guys

Hi guys,
My name is Dave and im glad to be apart of the community. This is my first season and i have been doing my research, but i have a couple unanswered questions.

Question 1: Pick-Up Truck Choice??
I currently do not own a pick-up but i will be purchasing one soon. My budget is around $2000 and for that price i have pretty much been running into chevy s10's and, 1999 V6 3.5L toyota tocoma TRD, Ford F150's
My Question is how big of a engine is "safe" to pull a 5x8 open trailer with lets say a Snapper Z Rider, a Push, and the normal blower,edger, etc...

Question 2: Width of Zero Turn??
Keep in mind this is my first year, and im sure alot of my jobs will be residential. With that in mind i was told not to go bigger than 36" but then i had a salesman tell me that a 38" would fit in all gates. Is he just trying to sell me of is this true? If not what is a safe size.... I do not want to push a mower if i dont have to LOL

Question 3:
Snapper Z Rider 38" 18HP Good or Bad?? $1800 asking price with a 3 month warrenty
-----------------------------
I have read some bad reviews on this site about them (inconvenient on hills and steep places, would only cut on one side) If that is the case... What would be a affordable and effective choice to look after. I was originally only looking to spend $1000 on it but... that looks like i will only get someone elses trash zero turn that will become my treasure for a month or 2... should i seek more options of is the Z rider a good choice

Question 4: Trailer Brakes

I have a possble trailer waiting for me $600 for a 5x8 im sure that it is single axle. From what i read single axles do not have breaks and i will have trouble braking... Can i get anything installed to help me brakes and is that trailer a good deal??

Im a complete green thumb (no pun intended)

Thanks for the advice guys
Old 12-12-2013, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Whoa, hold on there buddy, the z rider was never considered one of Snappers better mowers. A small truck is fine for starting out, and a 5x8 does not need brakes. Send me a pm with your number, and I'll save you some money on that trailer also.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Sehitchman, i pmed you... Thank You

If anyone else wants to chime in feel free
Old 12-12-2013, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I currently do not own a pick-

What do you own and what is it rated to tow?
Any used half ton GM Ford or Dodge would do pulling what you will have.

Forget a ZTR. Get a walk behind. You will save money and will be able to do steep hills where a ZTR won't go.

Question 3:
Snapper Z Rider 38" 18HP Good or Bad?? $1800 asking price with a 3 month warrenty

You are looking at a home owner grade mower. They will not last long. And this guy is robbing you. You can get a JD 42" rider from a big box store for less money. All the good mower companies give at least a one year warranty.

And, a 38" mower will not go through a 36" gate.

Question 4: Trailer Brakes I have a possble trailer waiting for me $600 for a 5x8 im sure that it is single axle. From what i read single axles do not have breaks and i will have trouble braking...

With a small trailer and a mower less then 500 lbs you will do fine without trailer brakes.

Best to buy a 5x12 trailer because you will out grow a 5x8 trailer to fast.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Member

32vld how's it going.
I own 2 passenger cars atm and buying another pick-up to tow with i do not have nothing to tow with as of now. was asking for a little wisdom before i buy one and im stuck with it. so before i buy one i will be looking at the tow rating and make sure it is rated for half ton tow

Question 2: in terms of going with a walk behind instead of a ZTR what choices am i looking at that will last being bought used within my price range of $1000?

Question 3:
Me and my wife found humor in your response to offense taken lol. i am positive a 38" wont fit thru a 36" gate lol. I may have worded my question wrong. What i really needed to know is it really true that the most common gate size 36". if that is the case i am going to be looking for 36 and lower.

Question 4: you dont think a 5x12 will be too much just starting out?

and is the driving experience different with a stick than automatic transmission when towing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
I currently do not own a pick-

What do you own and what is it rated to tow?
Any used half ton GM Ford or Dodge would do pulling what you will have.

Forget a ZTR. Get a walk behind. You will save money and will be able to do steep hills where a ZTR won't go.

Question 3:

You are looking at a home owner grade mower. They will not last long. And this guy is robbing you. You can get a JD 42" rider from a big box store for less money. All the good mower companies give at least a one year warranty.

And, a 38" mower will not go through a 36" gate.

Question 4: Trailer Brakes I have a possble trailer waiting for me $600 for a 5x8 im sure that it is single axle. From what i read single axles do not have breaks and i will have trouble braking...

With a small trailer and a mower less then 500 lbs you will do fine without trailer brakes.

Best to buy a 5x12 trailer because you will out grow a 5x8 trailer to fast.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well a 38" wont fit through a single gate, which is what the majority of homeowners have. A 36" would fit through gates just fine. I would buy a walk behind for that size but that is up to you. You can always buy a sulky to improve efficiency. With a 36" walk behind and sulky you can cut close to and acre an hour. A ZRT will do fine if you feel more comfortable using one. What works for someone else may not work for you.

As for trailer get one bigger than you think you will need. A 5x8 might be fine, but if you expand even in the next year, or need to buy a bigger mower, you will need a bigger trailer. So i would say go bigger, but a 5x8 is fine to start with.

Welcome to the community and good luck with the mowing season!
Old 12-12-2013, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalz View Post
Well a 38" wont fit through a single gate, which is what the majority of homeowners have. A 36" would fit through gates just fine. I would buy a walk behind for that size but that is up to you. You can always buy a sulky to improve efficiency. With a 36" walk behind and sulky you can cut close to and acre an hour. A ZRT will do fine if you feel more comfortable using one. What works for someone else may not work for you.

As for trailer get one bigger than you think you will need. A 5x8 might be fine, but if you expand even in the next year, or need to buy a bigger mower, you will need a bigger trailer. So i would say go bigger, but a 5x8 is fine to start with.

Welcome to the community and good luck with the mowing season!
Thanks Mwalz...
You guys have just about changed my mind about the ZTR and going with a walk behind. They are definately more affordable... But whats a good brand or line to go after when they are used... what is a more reliable? and im just asking for opinions i know there is no one answer that is obselete
Old 12-13-2013, 02:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

A 5x8 with maybe 700# on it a car can pull all day long. Might not be the coolest way to go about it but it would work just fine. $1800 is way too much for that snapper. If you come to IA PM me you can have my old 61" 25hp beast for that. Its got like 600 or 700 hrs on it. On CL maybe I could get that for it here.

1800$ will get a nice WB used. Like shiny paint and clean rims nice. They sell here all the time, by the half dozen sometimes. Any of the major brands will be fine, try for a hydro if you can find one. Here I swear only 1 out of 50 coming across CL is a hydro but man are they nice to run. Especially all day.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Hey HandsToThePlow, Like you i'm just getting started out did a little research on here and found the best idea is to get the biggest trailer possible that way you don't have to upgrade a trailer early on...as far as a mower, yes a walk behind would be the best bet starting out a commercial mower will out run a homeowner mower in this business I would suggest investing in a sulky(saves you from walking) but like you I would keep shopping craigslist for deals (belt driven wb's are cheaper but they don't have reverse) hydro is more but very nice if you find one!! Good Luck To You OP!!
Old 12-13-2013, 10:34 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would definetly keep planning. Planning is a key part of this business.

I have a 1995 chevrolet 2500 for sale $2400

Runs perfect
Posted via Mobile Device