Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-18-2014, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Member

I guess yesterday was my turn...

Yesterday here in central N.C. was absolutely one of the most dismal weather days in a long time. Cold, rainy, and poor visibility. Well, I 'm thinking nobody in their right mind would be out in the mess so my new EBZ 7500 BP blower would be safe in the bed of my truck IN my carport WITH me at home. I'm not a city dweller; we live in the sticks with nobody within a 1/2 mile of us. It's gone and the leaves are stacked up like cordwood everywhere.
I told the deputy that came out that I'd like to think that I wouldn't shoot a man over a leafblower but I really think I would were he to be caught in the act. The deputy's words were "I'd shoot him; our courts are so overwhelmed most non-violent thefts are being dismissed." I cannot imaging what some of you guys that have had all your stuff taken must feel like. I'd rather someone spit in my face than steal from me.
Yes, I know my carelessness in leaving it in the bed of my truck presented a gift to some piece of white trash that they just could not pass up. Lesson learned.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Unfortunately this stuff needs to be secured. I "lost" 3 chain saws, 2 trimmers and a push mower before I learned.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Pick up beds are thief magnets. I've had 20 dollar Jacks swiped.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Pick up beds are thief magnets. I've had 20 dollar Jacks swiped.
I agree. I would never even consider leaving in the bed out & about somewhere. If you could see how close my carport is to my house and how we live in the middle of nowhere you'd think nobody would have the gall to pull in our drive and take off with it; but that's exactly what happened. The deputy said he got a call from an old lady(who has dementia) that lives only a mile up the road complaining of some stranger standing in her yard. This was during the same timeframe that my blower went AWOL. The deputy said he really didn't think the woman saw what she claimed because of her dementia. I believe her. If you knew the "good old boys" that have lived out here their whole lives you know you just don't hang out in one of their yards if they don't know you. It scared the old lady.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd drop off the pertinent information in all the local pawn shops. Likewise, keep an eye out around your 'hood. That's not a common piece, especially RedMax, unless you're in this business. Homeowners simply don't buy $500 leaf blowers.

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
Husqvarna 580BTS blower
Dolmar 245.4 string trimmer
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 11-18-2014, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry for your loss man.. I leave them in my bed... Don't have a rack for them..
Old 11-18-2014, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Just let it go. That's it. They needed it more than you. Whomever did it will recognize your vehicle sometime, see you step out of it, and they will be reminded of what they did and have to deal with a troubled conscience. Not a small price to pay if you ask me for the trade off of a few bills.

Not one to be pro security - we are in a nice area - but times change, good and bad, ebb and flow. Did not look forward to the day but now we have security devices and extreme duty lock downs. One such measure is a mutha crane chain that don't care what you're packing if you got the nerve to get through that, will salute you.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneJessie View Post
Yesterday here in central N.C. was absolutely one of the most dismal weather days in a long time. Cold, rainy, and poor visibility. Well, I 'm thinking nobody in their right mind would be out in the mess so my new EBZ 7500 BP blower would be safe in the bed of my truck IN my carport WITH me at home. I'm not a city dweller; we live in the sticks with nobody within a 1/2 mile of us. It's gone and the leaves are stacked up like cordwood everywhere.
I told the deputy that came out that I'd like to think that I wouldn't shoot a man over a leafblower but I really think I would were he to be caught in the act. The deputy's words were "I'd shoot him; our courts are so overwhelmed most non-violent thefts are being dismissed." I cannot imaging what some of you guys that have had all your stuff taken must feel like. I'd rather someone spit in my face than steal from me.
Yes, I know my carelessness in leaving it in the bed of my truck presented a gift to some piece of white trash that they just could not pass up. Lesson learned.
Maybe you could buy this,

http://www.homedepot.com/p/IDEAL-Sec...K698/203730190

I have one and it works amazingly well. Experiment with it and use your imagination as to where to install it... (even if on a temporary basis...).

I think it could help quite a few people in here...

P.S. Even though it says it is only for indoor use, it works very well outside. Just keep it out of the rain, not directly exposed to sun as much as possible and not exposed to below 32F temp.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

A low level deterrent is a dog run cable. Not expensive and you can buy them in different lengths. String through all your higher ticket items in truck bed and lock down with bike cable on anchor loops.

Bigger dog...thicker cable and often longer cable. Will stop the grab and goes but will not stop theifs who are willing to bring cable cutters etc.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-20-2014, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
A low level deterrent is a dog run cable. Not expensive and you can buy them in different lengths. String through all your higher ticket items in truck bed and lock down with bike cable on anchor loops.

Bigger dog...thicker cable and often longer cable. Will stop the grab and goes but will not stop theifs who are willing to bring cable cutters etc.
Posted via Mobile Device
What I suggested above isn't a deterrent, but something that will allow you to know the exact moment a theft is occurring, or about to occur and to react accordingly...