Register free!

Old 12-15-2013, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Read this before you buy a Hudson Gas Backpack

Just wanted to let everyone know I ordered a Hudson 18537 Gas Backpack Sprayer off of Amazon last week. When it arrived the throttle adjustment lever was broke off as soon as I took it out of the box. Not sure if UPS rough housed it during the shipping process or if it came from the factory this way but the plastic circular piece has a broken edge where the lever used to be. The end of the throttle cable is just sticking out now over on the operators left side. You can pull the cable with your fingers to idle it up but there's no way to keep it in a fixed position. Idles down when you let go of it. I guess I will get it calibrated somehow using the set screw on the carb and only be able to have it in one position. It'll have to remain at the same throttle speed when I start it or shut it off now. Other than that it seems to be okay. The engine started right up. Kill switch works fine. No pressure gauge at all. I'll have to add one like GreenDoctor did. The regulator is an orange knob that has 4 settings. "Starting", "Herbicide", "Insecticide", and "High Pressure". The spray hose says 8.5mm which I'm assuming is close to 1/4". Cost was $430.

Larry-YardBoss Lawncare
8 years in the business.
Oklahoma Licensed Pesticide Applicator (3a)
2012 Hustler X-One 60", 26hp, Flex Forks, Mulch Kit
Echo Handhelds

Old 12-15-2013, 06:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I thought about getting this one myself, but decided to stick to the Maruyama MS074/MS0741. Cost is about $300 more, but the engine and pump are made in Japan. There's a difference. Quality of string trimmers and blowers differ when the parts are made in China VS Japan.

When faced with a machine with fragile parts, I replace the parts with something of known quality. In this case, the cracked plastic throttle lever is a candidate for replacement with a higher quality one from a Japan made blower. I have a local small engine dealer/repair shop that takes one look at a failed part I bring in and normally has something to replace it with. Good parts do not just break. I am not opposed to doing some drilling. Screws, nuts, bolts, forget it. I replace those with their stainless steel equivalents. No point in exposing black oxide finish steel hardware to fertilizer.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 12-15-2013, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Throttle pictures

Here's a few pictures. Do you think a Solo throttle assembly would easily replace this? If not, any other ideas?
Attached Images

Larry-YardBoss Lawncare
8 years in the business.
Echo Handhelds

Old 12-15-2013, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This is where the hose connects.
Attached Images

Larry-YardBoss Lawncare
8 years in the business.
Echo Handhelds

Old 12-15-2013, 06:52 PM
Sponsor

Just wondering why you could not just return for a refund?. Did this manufacturer have a customer service department to handle situations like yours??.
easy-lift guy
Old 12-15-2013, 06:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you have the rest of the lever?
Depending on the type of plastic, you may be able to re-attach it. If it can be done with a plastic welding solvent, it should be almost as strong as new. You can look into that at a hobby shop.

The lever itself looks a lot like a 3-speed bicycle shifter lever. Although the cable is clearly a bicycle brake cable (it has a sideways barrel end instead of a shifter cable which uses a different end), I'm sure I could get that thing working with a new cable and a Sturmey Archer shifter.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I didn't look into returning it because like I said above, I ordered it from Amazon online. I would have to rebox it, ship it back, then wait on it to get shipped back to me, etc. As far as reattaching the broken lever, I thought about that too but it is nowhere to be found. That's what makes me think this was a factory thing, not UPS. If UPS had slammed the box around in the truck and broke the lever, the lever would still be in the box. It looks like the Solo 433 uses the same throttle control from their pictures. I may try to go that route.

Larry-YardBoss Lawncare
8 years in the business.
Echo Handhelds

Old 12-15-2013, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YardBoss Lawncare View Post
I didn't look into returning it because like I said above, I ordered it from Amazon online. I would have to rebox it, ship it back, then wait on it to get shipped back to me, etc. As far as reattaching the broken lever, I thought about that too but it is nowhere to be found. That's what makes me think this was a factory thing, not UPS. If UPS had slammed the box around in the truck and broke the lever, the lever would still be in the box. It looks like the Solo 433 uses the same throttle control from their pictures. I may try to go that route.
I buy on amazon all the time. Returns are very easy. They actually will often ship the replacement at time of notice of a need to replace then they give you a certain amount of days to get them the defective item. Log on, click the sprayer under "orders" go to "actions" and click return. You can then print a pre paid ups label and ups picks it up the next day. I bought the Maruyama after talking to greendoctor and could not be more pleased, set it up exactly like he has his. I didn't like spraying herbicides at the higher volume rates with fert, and this was the exact solution for our cookie cutter 5k lawns.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:54 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl-landscapes View Post
I buy on amazon all the time. Returns are very easy. They actually will often ship the replacement at time of notice of a need to replace then they give you a certain amount of days to get them the defective item. Log on, click the sprayer under "orders" go to "actions" and click return. You can then print a pre paid ups label and ups picks it up the next day. I bought the Maruyama after talking to greendoctor and could not be more pleased, set it up exactly like he has his. I didn't like spraying herbicides at the higher volume rates with fert, and this was the exact solution for our cookie cutter 5k lawns.
Your suggestion on returning it to Amazon is spot on. Let's see if someone will take your advise to heart.
easy-lift guy
Old 12-15-2013, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

why not contact the seller and ask them my be they will send out a new lever. If your going to get things shipped broken parts happen the people that move thing from truck to truck don't care

Charles Cue