Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-15-2013, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Christmas bonus

What is your policy? Flat amount? Percent of paycheck?

I'm trying to look after my guys as they have been a big help in aiding the expansion of my business.

I remember working for a farmer who kept 1-2 guys through the winter to help with repairs and maintenance. He didn't have much and they gave him a pair of work boots every year.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-15-2013, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

.25$ per hour would be real nice if you can afford it.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Only you can decide an amount but I'm a believer in especially giving as much as one can to those that have helped get you where you are at today.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Anywhere between 1-2% of their annual income depending how nice you want to be. 25k/year = 250-500 bucks as a bonus.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you were blessed with a good year a 500$ bonus or more would real nice.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Just keep I mind to watch your numbers and make sure you are not over scretching your company to give what ever amount you decide on. While guys love bonuses, they also love for there job to still be there in the spring.

Also I firmly believe in not giving the same to each guy. Figure a max and base if on performance and how long they been with you
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-16-2013, 01:55 PM
LawnSite Member

I usually do cash plus boots or coveralls or jacket etcc.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-16-2013, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Depends on the guy. We give performance bonuses during the year. Usually we give a company logo jacket for Christmas plus a bonus between 50-400 pending the guy and responsibility/longevity at company. This year everyone has Jackets so figure we will just add another 100 to each bonus.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sildoc View Post
Depends on the guy. We give performance bonuses during the year. Usually we give a company logo jacket for Christmas plus a bonus between 50-400 pending the guy and responsibility/longevity at company. This year everyone has Jackets so figure we will just add another 100 to each bonus.
So part of your "bonus" is to give the employee part of the uniform you want him/her wear??? If you want your employees to wear jackets with your company logo on it, just issue the jackets to your employees.

I've mentioned this before in a similar thread…gifts and bonuses should be something that benefits the person receiving the gift/bonus. The gift/bonus is suppose to show that you care about that person and that person's family.

Avoid giving gifts that your employee will use while working for you. It sends the wrong message…your employee will think that "the boss only gave me work boots, coveralls and work gloves so that I can bust my a$$ even more for him while he counts all of his money…maybe next year he'll give me my very own shovel so I can dig more holes for him and shovel his…"

If you want to give your employees boots, make it part of their uniform and provide it for them but keep it separate from their bonus/gift…As part of your compensation package the company will provide 1 pair of work boots every year...
www.awlandscapers.com

Hustler X-One 60"
Wright Stander RH 36"
eXmark 21" ECXKA21 Mower
Stihl FC110 Edger
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl FS55R Trimmer
Stihl HS56C Hedge Trimmer
Stihl MS391 25" Bar Chainsaw
RedMax EBZ7100 Blower
Earthquake 16" Rear Tine Tiller
Honda 9" Mini Tiller FG110
2014 GMC Sierra Denali HD
7' x 16' Enclosed V-Nose Trailer
6' x 12' Dump Trailer
Equipment & Work thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=415830
Old 12-17-2013, 01:39 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. W. Landscapers, Inc. View Post
So part of your "bonus" is to give the employee part of the uniform you want him/her wear??? If you want your employees to wear jackets with your company logo on it, just issue the jackets to your employees.

I've mentioned this before in a similar thread…gifts and bonuses should be something that benefits the person receiving the gift/bonus. The gift/bonus is suppose to show that you care about that person and that person's family.

Avoid giving gifts that your employee will use while working for you. It sends the wrong message…your employee will think that "the boss only gave me work boots, coveralls and work gloves so that I can bust my a$$ even more for him while he counts all of his money…maybe next year he'll give me my very own shovel so I can dig more holes for him and shovel his…"

If you want to give your employees boots, make it part of their uniform and provide it for them but keep it separate from their bonus/gift…As part of your compensation package the company will provide 1 pair of work boots every year...
I do see what your saying but I also purchase them jackets for work. The jackets we get for Christmas is a nicer upgraded Carhart that they can use for wearing where ever. Actually don't ever see any of the guys wearing them at work but me on occasion.
When I see them in town wearing it it shows me that they have pride in where they work. That and the advertising doesn't hurt either. So far all positive.