Register free!

Old 08-09-2014, 04:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

underground power line interferance

I have a Rycom 8856 http://files.encentrum.cz/system_pre...%20obrazek.jpg

I am looking for a valve thats stuck open ( according to my Station Master 24b and the fact when you turn the main water supply on that zone starts watering). I had a clean tone coming out of the box.... I followed it up to this open zone then i started getting a crazy up and down tone. I asked the owner what else is in this area he said the main electrical line is underground. So I can't get a clean tone anywhere the 10 heads area in this area to track donw the valve. The two wires from what I can gather parallel and about 5-10 feet apart in a flower beed with 10-15 yr trees in it.

IS there another way to tone chase this valve down?
Old 08-09-2014, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The Armada Pro800 will knock out all ground interference. This week I had to locate a valve near a huge power transformer at a hotel. I first used my 521 and had so much interference it was unusable. I then pulled out the Pro800 and there was zero interference. Once I located the general area of the valve within about a 2ft area with the pro800, I then used the 521 to pinpoint the valve. The valve was 8" below grade in a gravel and soil mixture.
See if you can rent a pro800.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
I have a Rycom 8856 http://files.encentrum.cz/system_pre...%20obrazek.jpg

I am looking for a valve thats stuck open ( according to my Station Master 24b and the fact when you turn the main water supply on that zone starts watering). I had a clean tone coming out of the box.... I followed it up to this open zone then i started getting a crazy up and down tone. I asked the owner what else is in this area he said the main electrical line is underground. So I can't get a clean tone anywhere the 10 heads area in this area to track donw the valve. The two wires from what I can gather parallel and about 5-10 feet apart in a flower beed with 10-15 yr trees in it.

IS there another way to tone chase this valve down?
You're using a rycom locator and I would guess the freq is prolly 8khz. It's the wrong tool for locating the solenoid.

521 or pro 800 are the correct tools to be using. Either when connected in a closed loop should do well although the 800 is the most verso tile of the two.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-10-2014, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

82 and 812 hz
Old 08-10-2014, 11:19 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
82 and 812 hz
http://www.pollardwater.com/pdf/pdf_...856_Manual.pdf

You forgot the K. 82khz and 812khz. Lotta bleed over, pg 4

I've never used this locator but I can tell you for sure, for certain that your issues are more likely the higher freqs than anything else.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-10-2014, 04:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by londonrain View Post
The Armada Pro800 will knock out all ground interference. This week I had to locate a valve near a huge power transformer at a hotel. I first used my 521 and had so much interference it was unusable. I then pulled out the Pro800 and there was zero interference. Once I located the general area of the valve within about a 2ft area with the pro800, I then used the 521 to pinpoint the valve. The valve was 8" below grade in a gravel and soil mixture.
See if you can rent a pro800.
Just wondering why you didn't use the 800 to pinpoint? I have a 521 but never used the 800
Old 08-10-2014, 06:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

U want to sell ur 800? I googled the 521 and can't find it
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-10-2014, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTurf View Post
Just wondering why you didn't use the 800 to pinpoint? I have a 521 but never used the 800
I have 4 locators, two 521's, a 521A and a pro800. The pro800 for some reason does not get as close to pinpointing the valves like the 521 does. The pro800 gets you within about in a 2'-3' radius, which is ok, but on this last located I was digging in a soil and gravel mix. I use the 521 with a 521A receiver when pinpointing valves. This combo is what has worked the best for me over the years.

On a side note I am just now getting on the TDR's. I looked at a 2wire system on Friday. I measured just over 4800ft, as a reference measurement, for future troubleshooting on wiring troubles.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by londonrain View Post
I have 4 locators, two 521's, a 521A and a pro800. The pro800 for some reason does not get as close to pinpointing the valves like the 521 does. The pro800 gets you within about in a 2'-3' radius, which is ok, but on this last located I was digging in a soil and gravel mix. I use the 521 with a 521A receiver when pinpointing valves. This combo is what has worked the best for me over the years.
You all know by now that I have a very close relationship with Bruce Nelson and the entire Armada crew. I am one of the people that they listen to when asked for field experience input.

I asked for a horizontal antenna coil to be used in conjunction with the vertical antenna coil so the pro 800 could be used in peak as well as null mode. This feature alone saves a knowledgable locator many hours every year by having the ability to verify target accuracy on the run. The 521/521a doesn't, triangulation is the only choice with Greenlees product. There are numerous reasons why the 800 is my preferred weapon in the fight to find the most cleverly hidden valve. My recent locate in weed was the most difficult locate in my life, nothing seemed to work, none of the locators made a significant difference but, I eventually found every last valve using the pro 800.

Pictures that I posted in the anomaly thread proved that the pro800 could be used to find a shorted Weathermatic solenoid buried over three feet deep. I've used the 800 receiver with many different transmitters with great success. In fact the one feature that I thought I would never use (broadcast) has become one of my favorites.

If one is having difficulties pinpointing and I mean dead freaking on pinpointing a solenoid, feel free to call me and I'll explain what every user should know about pinpointing a solenoid with a locator. It's more about technique than it is about the locator.

Quote:
On a side note I am just now getting on the TDR's. I looked at a 2wire system on Friday. I measured just over 4800ft, as a reference measurement, for future troubleshooting on wiring troubles.
I'm thrilled to hear that people are still interested in TDR's, I use mine on every site and although the TDR doesn't work 100% of the time, the information gathered when a TDR works is so valuable that I don't understand why everyone doesn't own one. Best of luck with yours.
Posted via Mobile Device