Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-16-2013, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodneyK View Post
It sounds like you already have your mind made up that this will work for quite some time. Not really even sure what the question is. You can make anything work. I used to work out of a truck bed too. Need ten yards of mulch? Make five trips!

I then upgraded to a HUGE 6' by 10' trailer and became way more efficient. Biggest mistake there was not going to the 7' by 16' that I have now.

Guys are here telling you to get a trailer, I say the same. We aren't in trailer sales. We are telling you this for a reason. Buy a used one, if it doesn't work sell it.

What is your objection to a trailer? You just don't think you need it? Storage? You can do so much more with one.
You guys all seem to be under the impression I don't know what a trailer can do, I own large 82"x16' trailers
It is a " lets try it" idea. My objection is I don't have a objection I just have this. It was faster then going 75 miles to get a trailer for 1 mower.
Even now I haul my mulch in my beds so I can back right up the driveway from the busy street or what ever and never need to worry about a wreck.
My helper I don't feel safe with him pulling 16' trailer but a truck he is fine.
( he pulls one fine but backs like sh.... You get it.
Mulch is not a major issue either way mulch is few and far between here more just cut the grass then add on work.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-16-2013, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy-lift guy View Post
I reread the OP's first thread, missed the part about a trailer for his walk behind mower. The OP should buy a trailer big enough to handle work in the present and for future growth of his business.
easy-lift guy
Read it AGAIN
Old 12-16-2013, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billslawn89 View Post
what kind of truck did you get?
It a 2002 single wheel 1 ton looks just like a 3/4 ton with 1 ton lugs in rear
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-16-2013, 10:28 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXN1EL View Post
Read it AGAIN
Tell you what, you read it again yourself. You seem far more qualified providing a viable solution to the OP's thread.
easy-lift guy
Old 12-16-2013, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

As far as a lot of though and my mind is made up, I thought about it a few hours now and when I welded the gates on I would say I had made up my mind to do it yes. Can mowing be productive as set up
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-16-2013, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

last question for me, will the mower even fit in the back of the pickup being a 52in deck and isn't the area between the wheel wells only 48 in..good luck to you
Old 12-16-2013, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billslawn89 View Post
last question for me, will the mower even fit in the back of the pickup being a 52in deck and isn't the area between the wheel wells only 48 in..good luck to you
Yeah the mower fits right in. Backed on the wheels fit up th the front edge of he wheel well, the deck stops when touching the back edge of the wheel well and when sitting in the truck it has 2" clearance from the gate when up. I could send a pic to a member here and he could possibly post it if he would , it was before I put the gate on showing th mower on and tail gate shut.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-16-2013, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ok. Moving on. Question with one 52" mower on some of larger properties (as you said up to one acre) is there enough for the second guy to do consistently throughout the season while guy one is mowing? Seems like non mowing guy will have things to do but maybe not enough to really be efficient consistently. Limitation may be only able to carry one mower. I understand you are full service at accounts with trimming, etc.

No way a two man / one mower crew can mow as much as a two man/ two mower crew.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodneyK View Post
Ok. Moving on. Question with one 52" mower on some of larger properties (as you said up to one acre) is there enough for the second guy to do consistently throughout the season while guy one is mowing? Seems like non mowing guy will have things to do but maybe not enough to really be efficient consistently. Limitation may be only able to carry one mower. I understand you are full service at accounts with trimming, etc.

No way a two man / one mower crew can mow as much as a two man/ two mower crew.
same time 2 men standing on mowers can't weed beds durring the same time, that's a trade off indeed . Anything else guys?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-16-2013, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Keep us posted on how it works out. What will happen is non mowing guy will dick around trying to look busy half or more of the season while he could be cutting. Not all the time as there is stuff to do, I get that. You end up with really a 1.5 man crew. Maybe that is ok since you don't have to put another mower on a trailer that you don't want to get. I lived the one man crew out of a back of a truck. It is just not efficient. I also lived the two man/ two mower crew doing full service including bed maintenance weekly. Other mower and trailer was vital to being very efficient which meant probably 3-4 more properties a day.

To add another crew on the cheap and easy of course it will work. Depends on your goals to determine how well it works in the end.