Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-21-2013, 05:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Christmas tree installs

I have a small retail garden center / mulch yard. I am thinking about selling Christmas trees next season. And also offering a service to deliver, and setup the tree in your home?

1st question- can I make decent money selling trees on my lot? I have a very good location and no competition close by

2nd question- will people pay to have the trees delivered and setup? I am thinking this will be the real profitable part of this venture? I saw on some tv morning show these guys were charging $139/tree installed and another $50'if you wanted it removed after holiday.

What do you guys think?
Old 12-21-2013, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Christmas tree installs

I offered the service to take the tree to their house and pick it up after the new year for $15 and I haven't had a taker yet. And yes you can make a good chunk of change selling trees. You can't expect to make much your first year because you need a baler, lights, manpower, signage, trees, etc. Look around online and fine growers with quality trees looking to clear their fields for a low price per tree. I found a guy allowing me to tag any tree of any size for $13 cut and baled. From what I've heard it's the lowest anyone around here has gotten. If you want any other info about it you can message me.

Doesn't matter what kind of equipment you run as long as you get the job done correctly and up to par.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:00 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I know of a landscaper who does this through a couple tree lots. Basically the customer goes to the lot and pays for the tree plus an additional $150 for delivery/setup/removal. He gets a call from the tree lot and then he calls the customer to schedule a delivery/install time. The price also includes rental of the tree stand. Then after the holidays the customer removes their lights/decorations and calls him to schedule the pickup. It works good for him, he does a few hundred trees a year through the lots in some of the wealthier towns around the Boston area.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like if I market the installs to wealthier parts of town it may work.
Old 12-23-2013, 03:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

These guys kinda do what you are thinking about

http://www.livingchristmas.com/

Its really going to come down to what your market will bare. Can you make $$ selling trees, sure. Can you make money on delivery, set up and take down... depends. Only those with a higher income would be interested in something like that.
Old 06-26-2014, 03:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device