Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-31-2010, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Snapper 21" Push Mower

To give everyone a little background on me, I got started mid 2010 I have 4 yards that I'm cutting now with the hopes of getting more. This is a part-time thing for extra money I work 12 hour shift at my main job. I get a bonus every january. so I'm in the market for equip. I am needing every thing due to wearing out my old craftsman mower and free weedeater. I am buying a Echo trimmer, but I do not know which 21" mower I want just yet. I went looking today at a Snapper dealer, and checked out the HI-VAC self propelled with the briggs motor. Got a price of 580. Which is a bit more than I wanted to pay but O-WELL . I would like some in-put on your 21" mowers and some in-put on the Snapper mower if you use or have used in the past. I want to know the good bad or ugly on the mower. I will not be able to afford to buy a different mower if I dont like the Snapper so any input is appreciated. Thanks everyone and keep it safe.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

dont buy one as your only mower. reliability of the drive is extremly poor and cut is poor too. these have their place in our industry and its for bagging and leaf cleanup where they excel. if you can fix your own stuff you will be ok -but expect it to break often.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info. Which push mower (self-propelled) do you think I should look at. I also like the Cub Cadet, but dont know anything about them.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Exmark? But i think there preaty high.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Seeing as this is going to be your main mower I would advise paying the extra for a true commercial machine. If it was just a "trim mower" for small backyards and such, and you had other equipment, cheaper is ok generally.

Snappers are good machines, but I'd go with a commercial model. Lawnboy Dan is right about the drive systems, but they are generally simple and cheap to fix. There's a few bearings that wear out frequently and the rubber drive disk needs replacing once in a while. With 4 lawns the disk would probably last you several seasons, bearings once every year or so. I agree the cut on the snappers isn't great in some grasses... They are also quite heavy in the front, mostly the briggs models. A commercial model with the Kawisaki or Honda (if they are still offering the honda) is a much more reliable option and those engines are lighter.

Toro and Exmark make excellent commercial models, but the $1,100-$1,200 price tag is steep! If you plan on mulching at all I'd highly advise going with the Toro, but not the Hi-Vac as it's really intended for bagging only. Honda is also a good one to look at, even the high end consumer model. You may also look at the John Deere 21" commercial.

There's just not many "commercial" 21" mowers on the market anymore and most residential units are just junk compared to how they used to be made 15+ years ago.
Old 12-31-2010, 02:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Rose View Post
Seeing as this is going to be your main mower I would advise paying the extra for a true commercial machine. If it was just a "trim mower" for small backyards and such, and you had other equipment, cheaper is ok generally.

Snappers are good machines, but I'd go with a commercial model. Lawnboy Dan is right about the drive systems, but they are generally simple and cheap to fix. There's a few bearings that wear out frequently and the rubber drive disk needs replacing once in a while. With 4 lawns the disk would probably last you several seasons, bearings once every year or so. I agree the cut on the snappers isn't great in some grasses... They are also quite heavy in the front, mostly the briggs models. A commercial model with the Kawisaki or Honda (if they are still offering the honda) is a much more reliable option and those engines are lighter.

Toro and Exmark make excellent commercial models, but the $1,100-$1,200 price tag is steep! If you plan on mulching at all I'd highly advise going with the Toro, but not the Hi-Vac as it's really intended for bagging only. Honda is also a good one to look at, even the high end consumer model. You may also look at the John Deere 21" commercial.

There's just not many "commercial" 21" mowers on the market anymore and most residential units are just junk compared to how they used to be made 15+ years ago.
Your right every 21 they build now days are junk i was thing about buying a exmark but wasnt for sure how they are thats why i said what i did.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnboy dan View Post
dont buy one as your only mower. reliability of the drive is extremly poor and cut is poor too. these have their place in our industry and its for bagging and leaf cleanup where they excel. if you can fix your own stuff you will be ok -but expect it to break often.
I think they perform poor compared to my old toro I want it back.
2005 Polaris Sportsman 800
John Deere Lx279 48 inch
Snapper 21 inch
Stihl FS 55
Stihl FS R85
RedMax EB7001
RedMax EBZ7150
RedMax QREBCZ2650T
RedMax CHTZ2401
Tru vac aerator
Lesco Spreader
Old 12-31-2010, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for all your help, I will start looking at a Toro, Honda or spend the extra money on a Exmark.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

ok so this is the best advice cause it comes from me lol..

I trash picked an old hivac last year, motor was bad.. took the brigs off of my pos homedepot lawnboy and slapped it on there and the mower cuts like absoute ****.. it bags fairly well but the cut is blah the mower hasnt changed much.. but for close to 600 bucks as you were saying i figured it would be alot better.. the exmarks and high end Toros are out of the question for close to 1000 bucks..you can get a not top of the line but pretty nice toro ((wich is actually just Lawnboys good line painted red)) for around 5 with a honda motor.. i used to have them when they wewre lawnboys with the techumsa motors and i loved the cut and they bagged amazing!! and i loved how easy it was to dump the bag and put it back on..it litterally took 2 seconds and the grass just fell out.. some bags catch and clog and you have to stick your hand in there waste of time..the only problem i will say with them is the height adjust tabs will wear out on you if you use the mower for hills alot running them sideways..if thats the case i would get the better model with the tabs actually casted onto the deck.. but i used mine hard and they lasted 5 years at around 200 yards a weeky soo its not really that big of a problem i guess..

Anyhoo get a low line toro.. the ones that used to be Lawnboys and save the other 600 bucks and start looking for a used 32 walkbehind.. i was able to pick up a exmark 32 last year for 500 bucks, best purchase ive made in my entire life..21 are just a waste of time honestally..
Old 01-04-2011, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

A toro that used to be a lawn boy? Toro has owned the lawn boy name since about 1992, and built the entire LB line since then. Since the death of the 2 stroke in 2003 or '04 the "standard" Lawn Boy mower design was phased out entirely. The lawn Boy mowers sold now, I believe called the "insight" are made by Toro and only sold through Home Depot. I've not seen a toro branded/red mower that ever looked like the Lawn Boys of now. Point being, Lawn Boy doesn't have a "good line" of mowers, as they are made by toro. Perhaps the insight Lawn Boy from Home Depot isn't too bad? But it's certinaly not the same as anything branded as Toro.

I will agree with you on the Toro, the high end of what they sell at the box stores. Also comparable would be the high end Hondas or John deere models from the box stores as well. For around $500 you get a decent mower. I wouldn't touch the cheaper models with a 10 foot pole. You have to think, you can buy TWO of the best toros at the box store for less than what ONE commercial model will cost... Just have to weigh the pros and the cons.

Last edited by Jason Rose; 01-04-2011 at 11:30 PM.