Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-22-2013, 03:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Hello, from New York

Hey guys, just found this site and wanted to check in! I've been doing this kind of work for almost 11 years now, and have decided I wanted to do something on my own! Currently I have worked aside a family business and it was fine, but as time progresses there becomes more disagreements on how to do things and I would like to be the one calling the shots and taking the good with the bad if you know what I mean.
Old 12-22-2013, 03:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Welcome from Fort Worth, Texas.

May I ask what your disagreements are on?
www.awlandscapers.com

Hustler X-One 60"
Wright Stander RH 36"
eXmark 21" ECXKA21 Mower
Stihl FC110 Edger
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl FS55R Trimmer
Stihl HS56C Hedge Trimmer
Stihl MS391 25" Bar Chainsaw
RedMax EBZ7100 Blower
Earthquake 16" Rear Tine Tiller
Honda 9" Mini Tiller FG110
2014 GMC Sierra Denali HD
7' x 16' Enclosed V-Nose Trailer
6' x 12' Dump Trailer
Equipment & Work thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=415830
Old 12-22-2013, 03:46 PM
Sponsor

Greetings and Welcome from the Sunshine State. Once your in business for your self you will make or break your own destiny. Remember only you can Pimp your services and products the best.
easy-lift guy
Old 12-22-2013, 04:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Well the disagreements are on how to do things, the owner not wanting to help out and finding ways to dip out of work halfway through the day, how to handle other employees, and the list could go on and on. I am just at a point in my life that I want to be in control of my life. I'm not going to fully cut ties with the other business until I know for sure I can get the clients on my own. I could easily take them away from my current company but my ethics prevent me from doing that lol.
Old 12-22-2013, 04:10 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbt23 View Post
Well the disagreements are on how to do things, the owner not wanting to help out and finding ways to dip out of work halfway through the day, how to handle other employees, and the list could go on and on. I am just at a point in my life that I want to be in control of my life. I'm not going to fully cut ties with the other business until I know for sure I can get the clients on my own. I could easily take them away from my current company but my ethics prevent me from doing that lol.
Just as well, you will need all the sleep you can get once your in charge.
easy-lift guy
Old 12-22-2013, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Greetings from Plattsburgh, NY... You guys getting this ice storm? 2 inches thick on the vehicles this morning... I just got in and I started at 3:30 am....
Old 12-22-2013, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Nope just a little rain...you can keep that ice! Lol
Old 12-22-2013, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Sounds like a conflict of interest in trying to do both at the same time. Have you mentioned your idea of branching out on your own to them? Maybe you guys could work something out where you get a few clients to help get you started out on your own.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
He's the owner. He hired you and the other employees to do the physical work so he doesn't have to do it. The owner has a business to run and running a business involves much, much more than just the physical work. The owner has to make sure that when YOU finish the physical work on the current job, there is more physical work for YOU to do on the next job…that is part of the owner's responsibility…if he spent all of his time working side by side with you, there might not be enough business/new work to keep you employed there.

Now if you have a different management philosophy than your employer, you either need to shut up and get on board with the way he wants to manage his company or tactfully present to the owner how specific issues develop as a direct result of his management techniques and provide the owner with an alternative management technique that will eliminate these issues while providing a benefit to the company…or you could just quit.

I'm glad to hear that your ethics prevent you from stealing clients from your current employer. Good luck to you if you do decide to start your own business.
www.awlandscapers.com

Hustler X-One 60"
Wright Stander RH 36"
eXmark 21" ECXKA21 Mower
Stihl FC110 Edger
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl FS55R Trimmer
RedMax EBZ7100 Blower
2014 GMC Sierra Denali HD
7' x 16' Enclosed V-Nose Trailer
6' x 12' Dump Trailer
Equipment & Work thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=415830
Old 12-23-2013, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinkler Buddy View Post
Sounds like a conflict of interest in trying to do both at the same time. Have you mentioned your idea of branching out on your own to them? Maybe you guys could work something out where you get a few clients to help get you started out on your own.
That could get the OP terminated from his current job as he would have just admitted to his employer that there is now a conflict of interest.
www.awlandscapers.com

Hustler X-One 60"
Wright Stander RH 36"
eXmark 21" ECXKA21 Mower
Stihl FC110 Edger
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl FS55R Trimmer
RedMax EBZ7100 Blower