Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-22-2013, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Member

EDD vs. Door to Door

I'm planing to re-start a lawn mowing biz in D/FW next year and I'm wondering which advertising method is more efficient, EDDM or Door to Door... The cost for EDDM is lower but it is efficient as a DTD ?
Old 12-23-2013, 02:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Anyone has any experience with EDDM ?
Old 12-23-2013, 02:42 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

While you're waiting for answers, if you want to be proactive, a quick search of the archives (including the very recent archives) will have you reading for hours.
Old 12-23-2013, 04:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
While you're waiting for answers, if you want to be proactive, a quick search of the archives (including the very recent archives) will have you reading for hours.

FYI... I did but unfortunately not much relevant info of the subject are being displayed...

Looks like many people like me has doubts about EDDM vs DTD but few have posted real world results in the forum.

Last edited by LawnExperts; 12-23-2013 at 04:19 PM.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

We have been hashing this out in another thread recently.... Go to the Business Management section and find the thread "Door Hanging Timing/Strategy." by Jonlawn. It should be on the second page.... The title is deceiving as we were discussing the benefits and drawbacks of eddm vs. doorhanging.... A lot of good stuff on that thread.... But here is a question for you.... Why do you say that door to door is more expensive? Are you hiring someone to do the actual door to door? I prefer door to door (not saying I don't use eddm) because I have a potential chance of meeting people. And I am really good at selling when I have people in front of me....
Old 12-25-2013, 11:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsden&Son View Post
We have been hashing this out in another thread recently.... Go to the Business Management section and find the thread "Door Hanging Timing/Strategy." by Jonlawn. It should be on the second page.... The title is deceiving as we were discussing the benefits and drawbacks of eddm vs. doorhanging.... A lot of good stuff on that thread.... But here is a question for you.... Why do you say that door to door is more expensive? Are you hiring someone to do the actual door to door? I prefer door to door (not saying I don't use eddm) because I have a potential chance of meeting people. And I am really good at selling when I have people in front of me....

Its more expensive basically due to the cost of the soliciting licences each city imposes for each person doing the job and the number of homes with the infamous NO SOLICITING sign... I have a friend who was sued in $260 for a flyer at a home with NO SOLICITING sign...

To pass enough flyers do get a good number of new customers, Ill need help, which can end up being more expensive than EDDM.

For example, to deliver 20.000 4.25x11 by EDDM, including the printing and posting, will cost around 4k, and hiring help to do the same, not counting the solicitors licence and the headache of untrustful people trowing your flyers in the trash (it happened before), printing and passing the flyers will cost around $ 2,700.

Last edited by LawnExperts; 12-26-2013 at 12:01 AM.
Old 12-26-2013, 12:40 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Many starting out do not have much cash to buy EDDM.

Coupled that with if you have access to a copy machine to print the flyers. You can see how most people do flyers.

Flyers become a problem when your business grows you will not have the down time to put out the volume of flyers that you use to.

EDDM will allow you to reach more houses then you can by going door to door with flyers. Last I heard it was $.17 a copy. 10,000 contacts for $1,700. When I started out I could not afford the $170 for 1,000 contacts. Though a 1% response rate on 1,000 would be 10. If I landed half of them that $170 cost would turn in to a conservative $5,000 increase in my gross.

I would do a multiple advertising approach. Flyers helps keep costs down. EDDM is done by routes. Where I am routes are between 1,000, and 2,000 addresses if I remember correctly. So you can pick 1 route to do for now. Local weekly newspaper rates are not that high. Then do some internet.

Use several methods to reach people because some people never read the local paper or use the internet. Then some only use the paper, some only the net to find service people. Flyers and EDDM allows you to target specific areas completely because even if they do not get the paper or use the net. They all get mail.
Old 12-26-2013, 12:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnExperts View Post
Its more expensive basically due to the cost of the soliciting licences each city imposes for each person doing the job and the number of homes with the infamous NO SOLICITING sign... I have a friend who was sued in $260 for a flyer at a home with NO SOLICITING sign...

To pass enough flyers do get a good number of new customers, Ill need help, which can end up being more expensive than EDDM.

For example, to deliver 20.000 4.25x11 by EDDM, including the printing and posting, will cost around 4k, and hiring help to do the same, not counting the solicitors licence and the headache of untrustful people trowing your flyers in the trash (it happened before), printing and passing the flyers will cost around $ 2,700.
No soliciting signs have no legal meaning
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-27-2013, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I agree with 32, when you sit down and think out your marketing strategy, think multiple avenues, try to reach as many people as you can using three or four methods, start small but use multiple methods and track each one, this will let you know where to focus your money, once you've figured out what is working best for you you can put larger sums of money in that area eddm or whatever it turns out to be, just make sure your tracking every lead that comes in.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I did EDDM last year. I sent out about 1700 post cards, spent roughly 800 bucks and got 2-3 weekly clients from it. I didn't find it nearly as effective as I was hoping.

Tags
advertising , edd , eddm , flyer