Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-28-2013, 11:50 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedar Lawn Care View Post
I did EDDM last year. I sent out about 1700 post cards, spent roughly 800 bucks and got 2-3 weekly clients from it. I didn't find it nearly as effective as I was hoping.
I put out about 2,000 flyers last spring. I got 4 weekly's.

It takes time to build a route. High population area means a lot of potential customers and a lot of competition for their business.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:08 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedar Lawn Care View Post
I did EDDM last year. I sent out about 1700 post cards, spent roughly 800 bucks and got 2-3 weekly clients from it. I didn't find it nearly as effective as I was hoping.
I could not edit

I put out about 2,000 flyers last spring. I got 4 weekly's.

It takes time to build a route. High population area means a lot of potential customers and a lot of competition for their business.

I would give EDDM a try this spring because I know I will be busier this spring then last spring so I will have less time to put out flyer's. Though I need to buy a new mower for the start of this season. Can not afford to do both.

What I like about EDDM is that I can reach everyone in my area of operation where I could never do that putting out flyer's myself.

Even if I got 2 weekly's for every 1,000 EDDM. 10,000 would yield me 10 weekly's. $1,000 to $2,500 each would add $10,000 to $25,000 to my gross. That would make it worth it to me.

The only guarantee with advertising is that if you do not advertise you will not get customers.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The only guarantee with advertising is that if you do not advertise you will not get customers.

That's got to be the biggest understatement of the year LOL!
Old 12-29-2013, 03:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Definitely the best approach is try to stretch the dollar by doing multiple advertising strategies and keep track which are bringing results and which are not.

Someone mentioned that the NO SOLICITING sign has no legal meaning but sure it is a headache when someone called complaining about our flyer on their door when they have the sign. Also another factor in doing DTD is the cops keep kicking us out of passing flyers if we don't have the solicitors licence which costs a fortune like a said before.

Thanks y'll for the comments, it helped a lot....
Old 12-29-2013, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnExperts View Post
Definitely the best approach is try to stretch the dollar by doing multiple advertising strategies and keep track which are bringing results and which are not.

Someone mentioned that the NO SOLICITING sign has no legal meaning but sure it is a headache when someone called complaining about our flyer on their door when they have the sign. Also another factor in doing DTD is the cops keep kicking us out of passing flyers if we don't have the solicitors licence which costs a fortune like a said before.

Thanks y'll for the comments, it helped a lot....
In our service area we can place door hangers at homes...that is not considered soliciting. According to the Public Office, solicitation is when a company engages in conversation on someone else property, with the intent to sell goods/services.

So...we'll place the door hangers and not engage in conversation.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy123 View Post
In our service area we can place door hangers at homes...that is not considered soliciting. According to the Public Office, solicitation is when a company engages in conversation on someone else property, with the intent to sell goods/services.

So...we'll place the door hangers and not engage in conversation.
I've never heard that before, but what about making the entire neighborhood mad and not willing to do business with you and your company? I know my luck I would run into a federal judge's home or some such LOL
Old 12-31-2013, 08:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I started up last year and the only advertising I did (save for talking to neighbors at clients houses) was EDDM. I sent out 2500 6.5x8.5 cards and ended with 14 weekly clients, and a handful of one time jobs (mulching, trimming, clean ups, etc). I lost a couple, and gained a couple. But it works here, for me. So I will do it again this year. Hit the same mail routes, and a few more. Probably going to send out 5k this year.

What I like about EDDM is that there is no need to buy contacts, lists, etc. You choose entire routes and address them all to "postal customer" then put them in bundles, and drop them off at the appropriate post office and they will usually go out the next day. Its a blanket coverage, every mail box gets one.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
I've never heard that before, but what about making the entire neighborhood mad and not willing to do business with you and your company? I know my luck I would run into a federal judge's home or some such LOL
LOL...that would not be good. I called my local city office and specifically asked about this. According to them as long as you did not "knock on the door to engage in a conversation" you weren't soliciting.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I tried this, this year we sent out 18K flayer's and picked up 1 customer... To me that is a very low return... Was it worth it NO!!! We went with a company that sent to zip codes that we wanted to work... Another year and that advertising adventure is paid for...
Old 01-01-2014, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanncann View Post
I tried this, this year we sent out 18K flayer's and picked up 1 customer... To me that is a very low return... Was it worth it NO!!! We went with a company that sent to zip codes that we wanted to work... Another year and that advertising adventure is paid for...
What did your flyers look like. Call to action? When's you mail them etc. I only do targeted mail myself with self signed letters. I'll be using eddm this year
Posted via Mobile Device

Tags
advertising , edd , eddm , flyer