Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-01-2014, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanncann View Post
I tried this, this year we sent out 18K flayer's and picked up 1 customer... To me that is a very low return... Was it worth it NO!!! We went with a company that sent to zip codes that we wanted to work... Another year and that advertising adventure is paid for...
What type of flyers? Was this distributed through a groupon type of marketing? Being you went with whole zip codes, I'm betting 90% of the flyers went to non targeted areas. It was prolly stuck in and delivered with the weekly junk mail.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-01-2014, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The groupon folks called me and I just had to laugh at the parameters they wanted me to work with. They just kept saying it's not about profit! REALLY!
Old 01-02-2014, 09:19 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I did a groupon deal once. They screwed up my service area they expected me to go 90 minutes away for a $50 gutter clean out
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-05-2014, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrayzKajun View Post
What type of flyers? Was this distributed through a groupon type of marketing? Being you went with whole zip codes, I'm betting 90% of the flyers went to non targeted areas. It was prolly stuck in and delivered with the weekly junk mail.
Posted via Mobile Device
I did 3 rounds of direct mailer of around 8K each time... Got 2 calls, one still have and get around 175 per month and the other died before I could start his yard...

Next I did around 2500 post cards to certain hoods and never got a call... I have talked to people about both mailings and they were received just didn't get squat... Will b doing the post cards again in about 2 weeks... and a month...
Old 01-06-2014, 01:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I love EDDM! i have gotten a few jobs last year off about 500. This year i plan to spend $1500 on EDDM. We also do door hangers/fliers. If i do a route with EDDM in a week or so i will do a door hanger at those houses. Sometimes we get calls from the house we target, but they don't need the work they just know someone who does such as a elderly parent. I have also gotten a lot of jobs from Service Magic or now known as HomeAdvisor. It is kind of pricy, but it does most of the time you the job.

"Keep it stupid simple"
Old 01-06-2014, 01:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Bob with PLAN-It Graphics does a really nice job creating the EDDM cards. Printing rates are very reasonable also.
http://plan-itgraphics.com/

"Keep it stupid simple"
Old 01-07-2014, 02:54 PM
LawnSite Member

I sent out almost 7,500 direct mailers using targeted areas by postal route. Cost with design was exactly $2500 and only received a small handful of people that actually utilized our services and a few estimates with no return calls. I will not be doing direct mail again, as I have had better return with fliers that I handed out and total volume was only 2,000... cost was about $300 with design + gas to deliver them. This year I am leaning towards having a nice website built and paying for SEO services.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloLawnCareL.L.C View Post
I sent out almost 7,500 direct mailers using targeted areas by postal route. Cost with design was exactly $2500 and only received a small handful of people that actually utilized our services and a few estimates with no return calls. I will not be doing direct mail again, as I have had better return with fliers that I handed out and total volume was only 2,000... cost was about $300 with design + gas to deliver them. This year I am leaning towards having a nice website built and paying for SEO services.
Go to the web site discussion forum on lawn site. There is a thread discussing why you should NEVER pay someone else for SEO.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffTurfLawnCare View Post
Go to the web site discussion forum on lawn site. There is a thread discussing why you should NEVER pay someone else for SEO.
Actually right after posting that I was researching SEO services and came across that thread. Guess I'm going to have to modify my marketing stragety for the spring
Old 01-08-2014, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffTurfLawnCare View Post
Then you really should have read past Sean's initial post. It was a terribly shortsighted bit of advice he gave. Since when is "ROI" a "buzzword" and "nonsense"?

Tags
advertising , edd , eddm , flyer