Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-23-2013, 01:00 PM
LawnSite Member

walkerway

You need to price your jobs per job not per hour, you know how fast you work they don't. Some instead of saying ill pull those bushes out for $50 bucks a hour, tell them ill pull all those bushes out and clean everything up for $495
Old 12-23-2013, 01:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Yea exactly, but thats a whole other thread. You can do
That$500 bush job byhand all day or 2 hours with the mini skid and be on to the next one $$$$
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-23-2013, 01:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerway View Post
You need to price your jobs per job not per hour, you know how fast you work they don't. Some instead of saying ill pull those bushes out for $50 bucks a hour, tell them ill pull all those bushes out and clean everything up for $495
I've been in business for long enough to know how to price things. I rarely discuss hourly rates with customers.
However, when doing the math on a new machine purchase, I have to have some sort of idea on how,icy a machine can make, hence the hourly price.

Like rj said, this thread is more about deciding if it's worth spending the money to make my life easier. I'm not 20 anymore, and neither are any of my employees.

I'm not big on the idea of used, but maybe that's the answer after all. That way I can hopefully make things easier on myself, and make money at the same time.

And still not rich

Old 12-23-2013, 01:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSox4Life View Post
No disrespect taken, this is why I asked the question.

Couple things about what you said.....
A) I'm not sure this machine could double a persons production. I understand in some circumstances it could, but for what I would be using it for I doubt it. You would know better than I, does it double your production?

B) My customers understand when they hire me they are paying for my insurance, taxes etc.....and that's why I have to charge the $50 per hour for just a guy and a wheelbarrel. Adding this machine would not double all my costs, therefore I can't really justify doubling what I charge. Also, I feel if I did try to get $100 an hour with this machine, I'd price myself out of a lot of jobs. I know guys around here doing dirt work with a full sized skid steer for $85 an hour.

Renting one is not really an option for me.....as the main reason I'm looking to buy one is for the convenience factor. Rental is not convenient for me.
I would think a Dingo could easly do the work of 2 men with a wheelbarrow, likely far more.

Pros of a Dingo are
There able to go where a lawn mower can go
Easy to load and unload
Multiple attachmdents are avaible

Cons of a dingo
Expensive for their size
Resale value is not as good as bigger machines
Attachments are expensive
Very limited on what a 20hp machine can do.

To answer your question, personally I would not spend 20k in your sitituation. plus 20k is the starting point, attachments and buckets are high.
Used may be a good option, 7500 will likely get you a good used machine and may come with a attachment or 2.

A nice 28 to 35hp tractor 3cyl 4wd and front end loader can be had new for around 20k
Old 12-23-2013, 02:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

after having a tx425 for 5 years I would question how someone would still be in business without one. it will smoke 2 workers with wheelbarrows, doesn't require workmans comp. never calls in late. the biggest question is what will you have to change in your operation to make the dingo work to full potential. an example would be how do you deal with their low dumping height? possible answers could be a dump trailer, bed insert. they may be small but are definitely game changers.
Root Grapple
Box Blade
12" & 24" backhoe buckets
TT300E
Dingo TX425
GRI
Old 12-23-2013, 02:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-23-2013, 02:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You can even use them to load wheel barrows if the machine won't fit through a gate. I'll be buying one
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-23-2013, 02:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnmtn View Post
after having a tx425 for 5 years I would question how someone would still be in business without one. it will smoke 2 workers with wheelbarrows, doesn't require workmans comp. never calls in late. the biggest question is what will you have to change in your operation to make the dingo work to full potential. an example would be how do you deal with their low dumping height? possible answers could be a dump trailer, bed insert. they may be small but are definitely game changers.
That's very interesting, thanks. The reason I'm so set on a mini skid opposed to a toolcat, full sized skid or tractor is becauseit would fit so seamlessly with my current set up. With a miniskid I can do what I do now, better. Whereas with those other machines I feel wouldn't help me much. They may open up new options for types of jobs I can accept, but that's not what I'm looking to do with this purchase.
I just got off the phone with the bobcat dealer, they have a mt52 with 150~ hours for $15k. That already sounds much better than going new.

And still not rich

Old 12-23-2013, 02:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Only issue with bobcat is they have a specific mounting plate and no platform.

Non issue if Youre buying all the attachments, but if all Youre rental outfits have dingo attachments it won't work

I know theres an adaptor plate somewhere, not sure on cost
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-23-2013, 03:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
Only issue with bobcat is they have a specific mounting plate and no platform.

Non issue if Youre buying all the attachments, but if all Youre rental outfits have dingo attachments it won't work

I know theres an adaptor plate somewhere, not sure on cost
Posted via Mobile Device
The Bobcats have platforms. Kinda like a Sulky. They come with the machine.
Posted via Mobile Device