Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-23-2013, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT8 View Post
Ive seen them and think they are nice machines, never operated one. Do you think you could be as efficient with the attachments as an MT?
Posted via Mobile Device
It can run a trencher, stump grinder, auger, use a grapple, multiple buckets, forks, land plane, power a hydraulic chipper attachment, and it excels with the front mounted mower (my favorite attachment for it) or 5' brushcat mower etc.
The older ones like I'm replacing were good but not as smooth as the 60k newer ones but they still did a lot of work. I have one with a rear pto (they also make aftermarket 3pt hitch for the earlier models). The PTO can power a pump, generator, or pull-behind mower or whatever you can come up with that has a pto shaft and needs about 22 pto hp.
The machine itself is 56 hp with 26 gpm hydraulics.

I was pricing toolcats for a long time and though they are pricey, compared to something walk behind, a Toolcat for many applications would work and you can rent Bobcat attachments that will run on it.
I can load a 2600 lb attachment (ROC is only 1500 though) on the back of my F350's flatbed with the toolcat and I can get in tight locations with the all wheel steer but it's 60" wide compared to 36" for an MTL.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 12-23-2013, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't get a bobcat mini they are junk and don't use the universal mounting plates that everyone else uses. As far as brands I would recommend either a ditchwitch or vermeer. I have a diesel vermeer mini and that thing hands down will out work 2 if not 3 guys and has a high dump height. toro makes a good unit but it doesn't compare in weight lifting or dump height specs.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrett Landscaping View Post
Don't get a bobcat mini they are junk and don't use the universal mounting plates that everyone else uses. As far as brands I would recommend either a ditchwitch or vermeer. I have a diesel vermeer mini and that thing hands down will out work 2 if not 3 guys and has a high dump height. toro makes a good unit but it doesn't compare in weight lifting or dump height specs.
You think the Bobcats are junk? I demoed all brands and liked the bobcat the best. I have a bobcat dealer down the street so I can rent any atachment that i dont own. But i can understand not having a dealer around and not being able to rent attachments, that would suck.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-23-2013, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have heard multiple bad things about their minis. On top of that the platform is awful.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT8 View Post
The Bobcats have platforms. Kinda like a Sulky. They come with the machine.
Posted via Mobile Device
I know. I much prefer the stand on machines though
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-23-2013, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrett Landscaping View Post
I have heard multiple bad things about their minis. On top of that the platform is awful.
I have heard of the old MT-50's having lots of problems, i havent had any issues with mine. Most rental places around me are carrying the bobcats.
And yea the platforms arent the greatest. They do sell aftermarket platforms that make it like a ditchwitch.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-23-2013, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have looked at one a few times, never pulled trigger...just stuck with rental. But all aside...if purchase is I order I would go with ditch witch or Vermeer. I have rents all of them, bc is ok but it ends there. We rented two this fall. Bc and dw. Both with 2 ft augers. Planted 300 trees, dw hands down did the better job with power, ease of use, seems more power to pull out old trees etc. I also realize dealer, size, $$$, all count for something. Either brand you get will be a benefit to your company. Good luck.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would say the ASV RC or PT30 is a good option. I really don't know how to work without one.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnmtn View Post
after having a tx425 for 5 years I would question how someone would still be in business without one. it will smoke 2 workers with wheelbarrows, doesn't require workmans comp. never calls in late. the biggest question is what will you have to change in your operation to make the dingo work to full potential. an example would be how do you deal with their low dumping height? possible answers could be a dump trailer, bed insert. they may be small but are definitely game changers.
Best advice so far.
If I was still landscaping then this would be an absolute must have. Do not worry about it paying for itself if your getting 50 an hour for a guy and a wheel barrow because it will really speed up production.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Like others have said, when it comes to doing jobs with efficient pieces of equipment you need to price jobs on the task at hand, not on hourly rates. If you do any extensive amount of weight moving a mini is a MUST have in your arsenal.