Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-29-2013, 12:08 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I think your answer lies in some of the posts about having the attachment flexibility, service and attachment rental/purchase options close to your home door.

I stick mostly with my dealer because they provide on-site service and I know all my attachments (though pricey) are suited to my machine and I can get service/interchangeability between the skid and Toolcat UTV.

I value a good relationship with my service department. To me, it's number one decision factor in buying a service-technical machine. Though I rarely have to take my SS loader into the shop, having a good relationship with the service manager and technicians means a lot to me and I pay a little more for that. It works out in less downtime for me. For example, I live over an hour away from the Bobcat dealer. When I had a problem two weeks ago (minor by most accounts but I couldn't find the source of the leak), Bobcat dispatched a service truck and was here in just over an hour and worked past their normal quitting time. That's good service and I appreciate that as a customer. Sometimes it's the next morning but they work with me and I'm a micro company.

Whether it's Bobcat, ditch witch, or Vermeer that service and attachment availability is what will keep you working. I'm a fan of Bobcat but in this instance, it doesn't seem like a good idea that their MTL has a different attachment plate. That could cause you issues if you find an attachment you really like or need that's non-Bobcat.

Good luck and let us know what you come up with.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 12-29-2013, 12:39 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSox4Life View Post
Thanks everyone for your input. I'm going to start shopping and see what's out there for used.
Before I start looking I have one question. Am I right that most brands have interchangeable attachments. Bobcat is the only one with a unique attach?

And, are there adapter plates that work in both directions?
I think DW Vermeer , Toro and Boxer are the same.

I will add that you need to be carefull about what Brand you buy as some of the brands had known problems just a few years ago.

DW and Toro seem too have the best reputation for durability and customer satisfaction. Boxers are very similar too Toro. Vermeer had some hyd pump problems in there older models.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I absolutely agree that dealer/service support is one of the most important factors.
For this reason Im going to begin by going to a few local dealers I like to see what they have or can find for used options.
Toro or Thomas will be my first choices, though I'm not sure the Thomas machines have been around long enough for there to be many used ones out there.

And still not rich

Old 12-29-2013, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
I absolutely agree that dealer/service support is one of the most important factors.
For this reason Im going to begin by going to a few local dealers I like to see what they have or can find for used options.
Toro or Thomas will be my first choices, though I'm not sure the Thomas machines have been around long enough for there to be many used ones out there.
There is no way I would buy a machine based soley off of dealer support.
I buy the best , most efficient and durable machine and will gladly drive a little further to get service. You want equipment that spends time on the job site not at the dealer.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Dealer support is a great thing to have handy. However, I try to avoid going to the dealer as much as possible. I am able to do this by knowing several people who are independent mechanics. I have ones for small engines, gas trucks, and diesel/ bobcat related things. Dealers are great don't get me wrong but they are unmerciful in charging you (at least from my experience) . If you form a relationship with a good independent mechanic you will be saving both money and frustration.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWJ Services View Post
There is no way I would buy a machine based soley off of dealer support.
I buy the best , most efficient and durable machine and will gladly drive a little further to get service. You want equipment that spends time on the job site not at the dealer.
I never said soley.

I would not buy a great machine from a crappy dealer, likewise I wouldn't buy a crap machine from a great dealer.

And still not rich

Old 12-29-2013, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWJ Services View Post
I think DW Vermeer , Toro and Boxer are the same.

I will add that you need to be carefull about what Brand you buy as some of the brands had known problems just a few years ago.

DW and Toro seem too have the best reputation for durability and customer satisfaction. Boxers are very similar too Toro. Vermeer had some hyd pump problems in there older models.
All interchange but bobcat. But bobcat can use full size attachments. You can put a snow bucket on for mulch
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-30-2013, 08:02 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
I never said soley.

I would not buy a great machine from a crappy dealer, likewise I wouldn't buy a crap machine from a great dealer.
I would and have. I bought the best equipment not the most popular. Equipment only makes money when it is running. Dealers rarely show their true colors till there is a problem.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
All interchange but bobcat. But bobcat can use full size attachments. You can put a snow bucket on for mulch
Posted via Mobile Device
Have an adapter plate for our ditchwitch so that we can run full-size buckets and whatnot
Old 12-31-2013, 07:02 AM
LawnSite Member

Just buy one and dont look back. After you get it you will find yourself taking it on jobs that you dont "need" it on, but makes things alot easier. It will be on time everyday cost less than an employee and wont moan and bellyache about working...