Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-21-2014, 12:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

This lack of side-discharging out of the right side would be a deal breaker for me if I was in the market.
Can only guess that a true side-discharge 'door' must weaken the deck...(??)
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 01-21-2014, 12:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
The other question I would have is whether there is even a need for a new 21" now that they have the 30" model out.?
Demo a 30" and you'll see why they need a 21".

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
Husqvarna 580BTS blower
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 01-21-2014, 01:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What do mean by that ducnut? I'm interested in a 30" mower, not to replace a 21, but to supplement it, there will always be a need for a 21" mower.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locallawncare.ca View Post
What do mean by that ducnut? I'm interested in a 30" mower, not to replace a 21, but to supplement it, there will always be a need for a 21" mower.
I agree you will always needs a 21. A 30 is good for properties that you use to use a 21 on but you can fit it on said property and also on properties too small/ too delicate for something like a 32/36 inch walk behind or stander. At the same time I can see it being a budget replacement for a 32/36 if your wallet does not allow a 32/36. I am thinking about a 30 as some of my gates do not allow a 36 incher and honestly if I were to go for a 32 walk behind i would get a dual hydro, which there is only one out there right now and it is a Wright, so the 30 seems to be the next logical step. Later on I plan on getting an Exmark Turf Tracer to replace/ supplement it.

At the same time a commercial 21 is useful for steeper embankments, very small gates, and even those very small residential properties. I use my Exmark 21 X Series all the time. I want to get one of these new Toros, I have a soft spot for commercial grade 21 inch push mowers plus I have always been a fan of the recycler mulching system.

I also home the normal light duty 21s are still in production, I do like the side discharge feature they have and the 22155 is one of the few true push 21 inch commercial mowers out there, along side the Honda HRC216PDA

Last edited by Church2224; 01-21-2014 at 01:15 PM.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locallawncare.ca View Post
Just read through all the 30" threads on the site. They have tremendous drawbacks, especially with a lack of power, drives not properly pushing the machine, cut quality depending on conditions, and such.

I bought mine as an economical, lightweight alternative to a WB. I'm not happy with a lot of things about it. I have a mulch kit, on order. I'm hoping that'll have an impact on material and airflow management. There's another baffle option I can try, if the mulch kit doesn't work out. I have both sets of blades, but, haven't had enough use to really experiment. Cut height and amount of removal seem to be critical. Mine will not go up any appreciable grade, which is a common complaint. It's inconceivable, to me, how a company can put a product on the market with so many issues. The threads are full of the same complaints, from multiple people. It's not just me or my area.

I keep my 21" with me, at all times. There are some situations I can't even imagine trying to mow with the 30", like ditches.

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
Husqvarna 580BTS blower
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose

Last edited by ducnut; 01-21-2014 at 01:37 PM.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That operator handle is ungodly un-ergonomic. Thought this was 2014 model? Toro still trying to charge 2014 prices for a 1987 product. How joyous.

You're better off buying a Honda HRC216 commercial 21 inch mower. My 1986-87 commercial honda 21 inch was only 200 bucks less than a 2013 Honda 21 inch commercial mower. And yup, the old Honda mower is still going balls to the wall strong today.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The video showed nothing of the ground speed control. Is the three-speed control box down under the bag, like the former Toro models? The last few seconds mentioned five models, and pictures of some with roound rod bails, and "variable speed." Are these models without the three speed transmission, and use belt-slip to create "variable speed?"

To those asking "why another mower?" I would venture Toro believed there was a need for a bagging mower, beyond the one that has the handle/flap, and been around for years and years. The flap models are not good baggers, and this new design with the full opening in the rear is a much better design. The bagging system looks very close to my Honda HRX217.

Also, the video showed nothing of how mulching is to work. If there is a mulch plug, why wouldn't it be mentioned? Of course, the side bagging feature is missing, as others have pointed out.

As a bagger, take out the kicker plates, put on a high lift blade, and I think it would be superb. It should have very good power.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Laughing out loud. I just read all the pertinent information that was posted and then some about this new toro commerical 21 inch machine. Everything about it is 30 year old technology. Seriously. Can't wait to see the price tag haha.

The more and more I hear of toro(I will never buy anything from them and have tried out tons of their machines), the more I am just appalled that they reside in my state.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XYZLawnPros View Post
Laughing out loud. I just read all the pertinent information that was posted and then some about this new toro commerical 21 inch machine. Everything about it is 30 year old technology. Seriously. Can't wait to see the price tag haha.

The more and more I hear of toro(I will never buy anything from them and have tried out tons of their machines), the more I am just appalled that they reside in my state.
Say what you want but the design is proven. And in reality, Toro makes a very reliable and durable product these days and I would take them over most others out there. If they offered there own version of the Turf Tracer with the Turbo Force Deck, I would switch everything to Toro.

And the Honda HRC216? I have heard many a story of the transmissions going out on those things...
Old 01-24-2014, 10:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

XYZ... You are right, ... well, not quite. The idea of a blade rotating in the horizontal plane, supported by four points to the ground, is older than 30 years. Toro has no hold on this idea, as most manufacturers use the same idea. The reel mower idea has been around for a long time too.

Like you, I await something different than the rotating horitzonal blade, with a sharp edge, powered by a motor mounted on top of the deck. Until something different comes along, we will continue to see the same idea available, with minor differences here and there.