Old 01-29-2014, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Member

It's a 98 32" exmark metro
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-29-2014, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkilov View Post
Looks like Toro isn't selling enough of the Exmark 21 copies and had to bring the old heavy duty back from the dead.

For those of you who haven't owned the old one: it was an OK machine but lacked in some areas, I particularly didn't like the plastic chute and single control bail. Mechanically the mower had problems (at least mine) with the height adjusters and transmission bevel gears wearing out, but apart from that was solid. Yes the old one didn't mulch that well and cut quality in general could have been better. The thin engine protector wasn't all that comfy when used as a lift.

Let's see what they are offering now:
- deep aluminum deck: good
- 3-speed transmission: good
- 9" wheels: good
- steel discharge cover: good
- thick engine guard: good
- 2.1 bushel bag: good
- Honda GXV160 option: good
- non-BBC option: good
- flat 1-piece handlebar: good
- tiny height adjusters: bad
- no side discharge: bad
- combo bail bar: junk

Overall it will probably be a nice machine and hopefully there won't be any launch problems like with the Exmark 21.

Here's a downsized picture of it, so people won't need to download.
I own a 21 exmark and the metal deck portion of it looks to be the same deck as my exmark except for the front wheel adjustment. New and improved or just going to one manufactoring line to increase profits

"non-violence leads to the highest ethics, which is the goal of all evolution. Until we stop harming all other livings beings, we are still savages. THOMAS EDISON
Old 01-29-2014, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Is the exmark the same design as the toro or are they completely different? Price difference?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-30-2014, 12:19 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegandude View Post
I own a 21 exmark and the metal deck portion of it looks to be the same deck as my exmark except for the front wheel adjustment. New and improved or just going to one manufactoring line to increase profits
Sounds like the same as the 30".

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
Husqvarna 580BTS blower
Dolmar 245.4 string trimmer
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 01-30-2014, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

as usual roger is on the ball. looks like the 3 speed is gone and another one speed trans is being forced fed to us.toro is working hard to loose my biz. one speed dosnt cut it
Old 01-30-2014, 01:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnboy dan View Post
as usual roger is on the ball. looks like the 3 speed is gone and another one speed trans is being forced fed to us.toro is working hard to loose my biz. one speed dosnt cut it
Only one unit has the one speed, the other four have a three speed. Also I have no idea why people complain about the one speed in the first place, both of my Exmarks have a one speed and it works just fine.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I think that the tranny gear issue is a personnal thing as I prefer a single. Both my 21 and 30 are single while my 26 is a three speed. I don't dislike the 3speed but i don't prefer it. If your running along and hit a spot that requires a different speed you don't have to take time to mess with gearing.

"non-violence leads to the highest ethics, which is the goal of all evolution. Until we stop harming all other livings beings, we are still savages. THOMAS EDISON
Old 02-06-2014, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

can that one speed pull you up a long hill on a 95 deg day? can it crawl at a slow pace to cut down a severely over grown yard? still work fine?
Old 02-06-2014, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
can that one speed pull you up a long hill on a 95 deg day? can it crawl at a slow pace to cut down a severely over grown yard? still work fine?
I have had one for two years, and the other one year, and have had no issues. And yes, their transmissions have pulled me up hills and even some steep ditching. They did get caught in mud because of the poor ground and the rain last year. That said my Turf Tracer 48 did as well and that thing will haul.

Also, I was amazed how my Commercial 21s and plow through the thick stuff. I have a couple of bad yards that grow at a very rapid rate and it handled it. The only issue the design has is that they lack a side or rear discharge chute. Definitely wish they would do something like what Honda does with the rear discharge chute.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Heres my new 21 inch Exmark X series.
Attached Images