Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 12-27-2013, 12:51 PM
bodaggin bodaggin is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 67
Papercutter is trying to make it seem like experience and personality is the only way to create competitive advantage. I'm saying focus on your services and giving the customer what they want, as opposed to irrelevant factors like background.

Because if one guy has a wonderful "about us" page but doesn't offer what I need and I can't get the info I need about service, I'm taking my money elsewhere.

If you want to get more good calls get your pricing online, answer your phone on the first ring and be able to have that caller signed up and paid in no more than 30 minutes after the call. You'll have more business than you can handle in this industry.

I should stop giving away cometitive secrets like this now though. lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-27-2013, 01:17 PM
tonygreek's Avatar
tonygreek tonygreek is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 2,675
I get the feeling you might be surprised by the backgrounds and experience some of us have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodaggin View Post
Papercutter is trying to make it seem like experience and personality is the only way to create competitive advantage. I'm saying focus on your services and giving the customer what they want, as opposed to irrelevant factors like background.
No, but it is a very good way to do so, especially in what is essentially a commodity market.

Quote:
Because if one guy has a wonderful "about us" page but doesn't offer what I need and I can't get the info I need about service, I'm taking my money elsewhere.
That goes without saying and actually doesn't support anything resembling a point. It's like saying "At Bob's Vegan'topia, we have a flowery About Us page, but our carryout order food menu is blank and we don't sell BBQ ribs.". Of course those wanting to order for carryout, or BBQ ribs, will take the money and go elsewhere.

In fact, the thin Service info is exactly what I mention in the 2nd sentence of the opening post in this thread. Putting as much service info online is the best way to attract Google, which attracts organic traffic, which ultimately helps pre-qual leads by telling people what you are, or aren't.

Quote:
If you want to get more good calls get your pricing online, answer your phone on the first ring and be able to have that caller signed up and paid in no more than 30 minutes after the call. You'll have more business than you can handle in this industry.
Pricing online is a slippery slope, but some do it to great success. As for answering your phone on the first ring, absolutely. The trick is to get that phone to ring in the first place.

Quote:
I should stop giving away cometitive secrets like this now though. lol
Posted via Mobile Device
I think we'll live.
__________________
a guy who knows the lawn industry, branding, and web strategy
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-27-2013, 01:45 PM
bodaggin bodaggin is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 67
lol TonyGreek you're a bit sensitive as that comment was in response to papercutter. In any event, I've given away enough proprietary secrets.
__________________
Hero Mow Lawn Care
www.herowinnipeg.com
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-27-2013, 01:58 PM
tonygreek's Avatar
tonygreek tonygreek is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 2,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodaggin View Post
lol TonyGreek you're a bit sensitive as that comment was in response to papercutter. In any event, I've given away enough proprietary secrets.
A.) It's a web forum. You really can't pick and choose who you'll receive feedback from. You certainly can choose who to ignore, though.

B.) Papercutter is trying to make it seem like experience and personality is the only way to create competitive advantage. is not written in a way that implies it's directed at Papercutter and should only be responded to by him. It's like if you wrote "Einstein makes it sound like the Theory of Relativity is an answer to..." and then only allowing Einstein to weigh in and tell you why you're wrong. Plenty of people can tell you why you're wrong.

I'll let you get back to developing your "proprietary secrets". Having seen your "How do I price this?" thread, I assume you're all set on your pricing strategy "proprietary secrets", as well as your web marketing. Good luck to your business in the coming years.
__________________
a guy who knows the lawn industry, branding, and web strategy
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-28-2013, 02:56 PM
PaperCutter PaperCutter is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 1,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodaggin View Post
Papercutter is trying to make it seem like experience and personality is the only way to create competitive advantage. I'm saying focus on your services and giving the customer what they want, as opposed to irrelevant factors like background.

Because if one guy has a wonderful "about us" page but doesn't offer what I need and I can't get the info I need about service, I'm taking my money elsewhere.

If you want to get more good calls get your pricing online, answer your phone on the first ring and be able to have that caller signed up and paid in no more than 30 minutes after the call. You'll have more business than you can handle in this industry.

I should stop giving away cometitive secrets like this now though. lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Checking out your site, your comment makes sense. Every once in a while someone pops up with an approach like yours, geared towards moving the prospect down the funnel as fast as possible and with as little effort expended as possible. It's more of a "service as commodity" model than I'm interested in, but if it's working for you, have at it. Curious to see what kind of retention #s that pulls though. Everything I do is geared towards de-commodifying what I do, so I don't have to worry about losing business to the first person to wander by who's 3% cheaper, and part of that is the brand-building that starts (for many customers) with the About page.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-29-2013, 12:11 PM
bodaggin bodaggin is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 67
Very fair comment PaperCutter. My retention is quite good but I think it's more because I really profile my customers before taking them on, which is more of a business model strategy than a web one. Since I offer such a simple and basic service I have a few rules 1) if the initial phone call lasts more than 5 minutes I send them to someone else. If they can't figure it out in 5 minutes they are going to be problems down the road and result in dispute. 2) If I get the slightest sense of them wanting specifics, custom requests, or asking very finicky questions I will push them away.

I offer a one size fits all service; I cut grass and clear snow. It's 100% accurate to say I leave money on the table but to me it's a form of streamlining my company. I know my one size fits all won't fit everyone and I tell them that, but the 70% or 80% majority that it does, are very happy and beg me back every year and are VERY reasonable and good customers to have.

One bit on the pricing point. Keep in mind that just because I sell this as a commodity (your observation is accurate in my mind), doesn't mean I sacrifice professionalism or keeping up my word. Which--in this industry--I would actually consider a competitive advantage. So many guys with 20 dollar lawnmower cutting grass because they can't do anything else, they have criminal record or otherwise. There's nothing wrong with these guys but when a customer compares the two they see an image advantage with me which makes them less likely to book only on price. Of course price is always a consideration but I keep mine at a mid market range, the ones who are looking for service on the cheap weed themselves out.

Good comments though. I think this discussion has made us realize "about us" pages, websites, and marketing in general are all dependant on the business model they are trying to promote. Knowing WHAT you are marketing determines HOW to market it, and you can't do one without the other.
__________________
Hero Mow Lawn Care
www.herowinnipeg.com
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-03-2014, 01:02 AM
n2h20's Avatar
n2h20 n2h20 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Pasadena, Ca
Posts: 497
Me, personally will choose a company who has a good about us page over a simple, generic or nonexistent page. If a company has all the flashy gear, matching hats, matching shoes and are over priced, and there is a guy whose been in the business (according to his about me page) with a few workers and an old pickup i might just choose the old pick up.
I tired to make my page have a little bit of personal background as well as where i want to take the company. I have had several clients say to me "I really like your about us page, thats why you are here".

im open to suggestions http://socalponds.com/about.html
__________________
Growing my business by 100% in the next 2 years.


www.SoCalPonds.com
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-30-2014, 12:56 PM
rkeguy's Avatar
rkeguy rkeguy is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Roanoke VA
Posts: 121
Sorry to dig up a 27 day old post but I could not find similar question by doing google search (topic site:lawnsite.com). On my about us page I have information about my background, why I like this industry, when I graduated college, how long I've been married and how many children we have. I also specify that we are active in church and several civic organizations but I don't specify those by name.
Would it be a problem to give the name of the place or organization? I also felt that someone could think I was doing it solely to gain more business if I mention the specific organizations we are members of. I bring this up only because I recently hired an arborist to do some work at my house and his website mentioned his memberships by name, both personally and professionally. What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-30-2014, 01:08 PM
tonygreek's Avatar
tonygreek tonygreek is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 2,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkeguy View Post
Would it be a problem to give the name of the place or organization?
I don't see a reason not to. If they're political in nature, or remotely controversial, I don't recommend it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkeguy View Post
I also felt that someone could think I was doing it solely to gain more business if I mention the specific organizations we are members of.
Of course some might think that. I wouldn't let that dissuade you. Some people like to see a commonality. "He's a Rotary Club member? Me, too! Have to seek him out next time I'm at a meeting."
__________________
a guy who knows the lawn industry, branding, and web strategy
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-30-2014, 02:25 PM
curtislawncare curtislawncare is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 77
About page is very important. If for nothing else it gives Google more reasons to index your site. I'd add that you should especially write about your community.

I've noticed that customers and new estimates will mention very particular things about your website. I mention on my website that the company is run by me and my brother. A customer once told me that she called us because she has 2 little boys -women are sentimental like that.

Great advice here from Tony!
__________________
Lawn Care Extraordinaire!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:53 PM.

Page generated in 0.07686 seconds with 7 queries