Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-22-2014, 02:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

portable garages

Has anyone put one of these up on their property? I am considering putting one up. My wife is kicking me out of our garage so we can make it our room.

Thanks!!
Old 01-25-2014, 08:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keegan View Post
Has anyone put one of these up on their property? I am considering putting one up. My wife is kicking me out of our garage so we can make it our room.

Thanks!!
I have not, but I know that, where I live there are zoning, land development restrictions, & building permits, that govern things as small as sheds & fences. You might have already checked to see if this applies to you, if you have not then you should check with your local office. I have heard horror stories about people being told to rip down sheet rock in the middle of a job, because they have never applied for a building permit. Also, if you have or are considering getting a pesticide applicator business license, you will want to look into specifications for fertilizer & pesticide storage, if this applies to you.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Member

I had one dropped a couple of years ago and worked great. I live in the country so no restrictions. Best thing about it since its not bolted down it doesn't affect properly taxes like a actual garage or Morton building would. I got a 12x20 which works out well.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I upgraded mine and now have a 12' x 44' and love it just wish I went longer.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:39 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have two Shelter Logic tarped sheds, one big enough for a car and a motorbike, the other one holds the Z...
They cost between $200-$300 each and they do go on sale from time to time as well, while the savings aren't astronomical I did find it paid to be patient... Generally they go on sale about once a year or so.

Only problem is about every 5-10 years the tarp has to be replaced (they start to leak) and they're proprietary...
Any parts for the shelter need to be purchased from Shelter Logic, I tried the aftermarket route but found the meager savings aren't worth the headache... Since the cost just for the tarp alone can run well north of $100 for some it might pay to do some research upfront, the costs can vary noticeably from one model to the next.

These sheds consist of the frame, the top, each side, the front and the back.
Most also have a variety of strapping devices.

So for example one model comes with top, both sides, front and back as separate pieces...
Another model the top and sides are all one piece, then the front and back are ordered together...
This makes a big difference in price when ordering replacement tarps.
I found the top wears out the fastest, the other pieces not so much so.

Last edited by herler; 03-18-2014 at 12:44 AM.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Member

I have used the tarp sheds for several years, they were fine for keeping the equipment out of the weather. But, this past winter the snow load wasn't removed fast enough and the weight brought it down.
This past week I ordered a wood barn that can be brought in fully assembled and dropped on site. It's what I wanted along, as now it will serve as a secure and weather tight workshop as well as provide storage space for the equipment. We just purchased a new car for my wife and that needs to be parked in the garage. Over the years the garage slowly became my shop now it can become a garage again. All it takes is $.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Im thinking of getting one to use as a paint booth, or I may use tarps inside my shop. Just not sure if I want to paint inside my shop yet.

I think they would be ok for a couple of years, although theres no way possible to keep someone with a pocket knife from breaking into it.
Old 03-28-2014, 05:53 PM
LawnSite Member

I almost purchased one last month, 14' x 24'. That would have allowed me to back in the trailer with all the equipment on it. The best ones I found were from a company in Canada, Cover-Tech. That size was around $2500.
I decided to build a 12' x 16' shed instead.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

My enclosed trailer is my portable garage. All the excipients stays in there and when I need to work on something I take the car out of the garage so I have room
Posted via Mobile Device