Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-27-2013, 12:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Wreath Storage?

Looking for a better way to store the 5' and 4' wreaths. Thought about building something so they would lay flat and each wreath would have it own shelf. Hanging them is not a option in my current storage. We have 20 5' and 15 4' to store. In the past have leaned them up against the wall but after time they get flat sided and the metal rings start to bend. Looking for a new idea!
Thanks.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc5268 View Post
Looking for a better way to store the 5' and 4' wreaths. Thought about building something so they would lay flat and each wreath would have it own shelf. Hanging them is not a option in my current storage. We have 20 5' and 15 4' to store. In the past have leaned them up against the wall but after time they get flat sided and the metal rings start to bend. Looking for a new idea!
Thanks.
I would be tempted to create some what of a bakers rack with two 2x4 cross members for each wreath. You could use very thin and cheap plywood for the shelf. Inset the 2x4's 1/4th to 1/3rd from the front and back for better support. You might even be able to get away with 2x2 cross members and use 1-2 more to allow more wreaths stacked in less space.

If you have some welding skills you could even build a rack out of some scrap steel racking and angle iron. I love an excuse to buy more tools!
Owner- David

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 12-30-2013, 02:08 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Here is an even better and cheap idea. All you need are 2x2's and the thin plywood that about 1/4". Cut the sheets slightly larger then the wreaths. Put 2x2 legs at the corners, one between the corners on the perimeter, and one in the center. Now you can just start throwing down your wreaths and stack the next level on top of it. You can buy some of the dirt cheap disposable drop cloths to throw over the top.

You put the larger wreaths on the bottom (60's or 72's would require four interior supports- 36 and 48 only 1) and start stacking. You can configure the stack exactly how you need to and it's easy to expand. For the legs just use some 3" decking screws in the center. Quick and easy.

I'm going to build some of these and I'll show some picture. I need to build some more spools as well.
Owner- David

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Old 12-30-2013, 02:34 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Sketch

Pardon my 30 second crazy sketch. Once you get to 60 & 72 sized wreaths that would stick out on two ends because plywood is only 4' wide.

You could build this stacking system very easily and quickly. Once you get to the 60" and larger stacks it would probably require two people (both ends) to stack and unstack since the thin plywood would flex and might crack if you try to pick it up from just one end.

You could even configure a single level that would hold six 36" wreaths or four 48" wreaths.
Attached Images

Owner- David

Old 01-02-2014, 01:27 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Scratch the prior little effort required ned neck idea. I'm building a giant 8' tall bookcase with 4'x8' shelves using 2x4's and 1/4" plywood (one side sanded). Very little cutting will be required. I'm just adding four shelves for now (more as needed) and the cost is about $170.

The shelf spacing will be adjusted with some shelves having larger gaps for larger wreaths plus the bow must be factored in.
Attached Images

Owner- David

Old 01-06-2014, 12:53 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I remember when I had all kinds of innovative storage solutions for getting 20, 40, and 60 jobs squeezed into mini storage and my first shop efforts. I had overhead hook systems, adjustable shelving, etc. however, at this point the speed at which we get them out of the racks, on and off the truck takes priority. we have pallet rack shelves for each size of wreaths and we just fluff the flat spot when we install them and move on. I have not had any issues with bending the frame on hdy wreaths when you set on bottom side and stack them like books on a pallet rack shelf.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Dave, are you referring to horizontal or vertical? THe older HYD wreath I have, the frames are a bit on the flimsy side at this point - they were shipped vertical and stored horizontal. The wreaths that came with the business I vought out last summer, were stored vertical, and seemed to have held up extremely well, not flimsy at all. I am going to lose alot of space regardless of which way I go this year with all the added wreaths and especially the new project I secured this season, so I am in the same boat trying to figure out what is going to work best for room and ease of access come June or July when I start going through everything to make sure it is ready to go
2000 Cat 312B
2000 Cat 304 CCR
2000 Hyundai H70
2012 Scag V Ride
2009 Ferris IS3100 z
Brown Bed Edger
Multiple trailers, hand tools and smaller stuff
A son to teach the value of life, business and honor
Old 01-06-2014, 10:53 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

It's surprising nobody seems to market storage product solutions to the holiday lighting industry. It seems just like the made in China lights it would not be that expensive to have imported storage solutions. You have companies like HD and CDI who do installs and probably have created some good ideas they could market.

David I'm sure you reeling setup for the C7/C9 stuff is pretty slick but it can be hard to commercialize and patent systems that work great for your own needs.

You could probably use 1/2" plywood and a router and create some racks for 36 & 48 wreaths built on the same premise as the way the cardboard dividers you find in cases of jars or larger bottles. If your a really good carpenter you could probably come up with some really creative ideas.

Using angle iron and some welding you could probably modify some over head racking with a minimum of wasted space and use the thin 1/4" plywood for shelving.
Owner- David

Old 01-06-2014, 03:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Gretzmier View Post
I remember when I had all kinds of innovative storage solutions for getting 20, 40, and 60 jobs squeezed into mini storage and my first shop efforts. I had overhead hook systems, adjustable shelving, etc. however, at this point the speed at which we get them out of the racks, on and off the truck takes priority. we have pallet rack shelves for each size of wreaths and we just fluff the flat spot when we install them and move on. I have not had any issues with bending the frame on hdy wreaths when you set on bottom side and stack them like books on a pallet rack shelf.
Winner, winner. I just went thru this with one of my guys this morning. This is the way we have been doing it for a while. He wanted to come up with a better way. Really don't think there is an easier or better way to store and pull wreaths than this.....
Old 01-19-2014, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Rack

I used the feedback from Dave and made some design changes. I put my 60 & 72 sized wreaths on the bottom but used the top to vertically store the 36 & 48's. I'm still going to add one more shelf to the top for more vertical storage.
Attached Images

Owner- David