Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-28-2013, 04:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Has anybody trained themselves to hold their trimmer in the opposite hand?

I've always trimmed with the trigger in my right hand and walking left to right. The trimmer then throws all of the grass away from me, but towards not only beds, but windows, cars, etc. If I walk backwards the grass flings towards me, which is a safety concern, plus I'm walking backwards. Has anyone forced themselves to learn to trim in the other hand? If I would put trigger in left hand and walk right to left I would have the best of all of the options. Clippings would fling away from "danger" areas but also slightly in front of me.

Worked at a lawn company around here and we had a guy fall into a fire escape that was uncovered while he was trimming backwards.

Also wonder what difficulties would arise by requiring all future employees to trim same way.
Old 12-28-2013, 04:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Just turn the opposite way. No need to change hands.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-28-2013, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, I learned long ago to switch hands. I have a solid shaft, gearbox driven trimmer, so it throws debris into the bed if you move left to right.

I am naturally right handed, and that is the most comfortable. When needing to do detailed work, I do use trigger in right hand. However, for routine travel along edges of beds, I am always working with trigger in left hand, walking forward. Yes, I've "been there, done that" with the stupid events of walking backward. Also, walking forward, with trigger in left hand, allows me to move more quickly than walking backward. On a given trim job, I am often transferring one hand to the other. It is easy and quick (trimmer head slows only a little on the transfer before the other hand is back on the throttle).

Bottom line: learn to work with both hands.
Old 02-01-2014, 03:25 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I am actually (I discovered this late in life) ambidextrous.
So switching back and forth as needed from left to right moving backwards and forwards comes natural without thought to me.
Watching me do it drives other people insane, because I guess it's like curling your tongue, there are people who can do it, and people who just get frustrated trying to do it.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have trained myself fairly well to trim left handed. For detail work, like Roger said, and also whipping wide open areas and hillsides, I go right handed. Took a long time for me to train myself left handed and I still don't think I'm "good," but hey you'll get there sometime.

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 02-01-2014, 06:39 AM
LawnSite Member

I think this is a great idea. In the police dept. we trained to shoot with our weak hand and kept back up guns, knives accessible to our left hand. Never crossed my mind to do the same with the trimmer. I'll be training on it this season. Thanks for the post. Again, great idea.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Trimming holding the trigger with the left hand is much faster, at least for me. Came upon it by accident years ago. Wouldn't do it any other way. But, yes, it is hard for right handers to learn.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:21 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I switch hands all the time. It saves on wear, on me.
All Echo hand helds
<- That's how I feel at the end of the day.
Old 02-01-2014, 03:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjessen View Post
Trimming holding the trigger with the left hand is much faster, at least for me. Came upon it by accident years ago. Wouldn't do it any other way. But, yes, it is hard for right handers to learn.
Guess I'd better start practicing before the grass starts growing.
Old 02-01-2014, 04:02 PM
LawnSite Member

I remember seeing discussion about this a few months back, and I tried it the next day at work. It felt weird, but it still seems like a good idea to keep trying.
The thing I couldn't figure out was: when I trim with my right hand holding the trigger, I'm using the string on the left to actually do the work. So when you switch hands, are you still the string on the left, or do you use the string on the right?
Posted via Mobile Device