Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-18-2015, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Is it too late in the season?

Hello,

This is my startup year. I've advertised, but not enough. I should've hit harder.

I have a decent ammount of jobs lined up- but so far only 2-3 weekly mowing accounts.

Is it too late to keep getting accounts? I'm doing door to door and flyers, CL, and then churches/bulletin boards at night. Have ads in newspapers.

Anyone have tips, pointers, ETC?
I figured if I can't get mowings, I'll have to settle for decent projects throughout- are mulching jobs, plantings, ETC all in standard intervals?

Could I double down on advertising and continue landing jobs throughout the year, even if I don't get mowings?

Thank you so much.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

No, it's not too late.

Don't steal. The government hates competition.

Old 04-18-2015, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

do you think you would just get a full list the first month into your first year, the first time trying at it?

If you did.

It doesn't work like that.
Old 04-18-2015, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jconor View Post
Hello,

This is my startup year. I've advertised, but not enough. I should've hit harder.

I have a decent ammount of jobs lined up- but so far only 2-3 weekly mowing accounts.

Is it too late to keep getting accounts? I'm doing door to door and flyers, CL, and then churches/bulletin boards at night. Have ads in newspapers.

Anyone have tips, pointers, ETC?
I figured if I can't get mowings, I'll have to settle for decent projects throughout- are mulching jobs, plantings, ETC all in standard intervals?

Could I double down on advertising and continue landing jobs throughout the year, even if I don't get mowings?

Thank you so much.
Where are you located?

There are a lot of landscape competition where I live. I add 2 to 4 customers a year. Growth is slow but steady. It was my fourth year for me to draw a weekly salary for the whole year.

Now at the start of my fifth year I just gave my self a $20 a week raise. Mind you I still do not have a full schedule.

Thing is if you are single stay in mom's basement, married and a wife that works helps, you get an evening job to earn money that the business is not.

Then avoid credit cards, loans. Stay debt free. Also learn the difference between a need and a want.

Today I bought a new leaf rake. I was down to having only one regular sized one left and the most of the angled ends were worn away.

Right next to the full size leaf rakes were narrow leaf rakes. I picked one up and said this can come in handy and it had a full length handle. I was tempted to buy one of each size. Then I realized that I have not needed a narrow leaf rake in years. So I put the narrow leaf rake down and just bought the regular size leaf rake.

Old 04-18-2015, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
do you think you would just get a full list the first month into your first year, the first time trying at it?

If you did.

It doesn't work like that.
No-but thats not tge question.

Im curious if its too late for mowing accts now- most of my business continues to be s cleanups, mulching, thatching etc.

Chris says its noy. I dont think so either. Im looking to the wisdom here- appreciate the site
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-18-2015, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Not to late I usually start off season with a few new ones and pick up more thru the season. Started last year with 27 a week ended with 42 a week and still have them. And adding more weekly and I'm still doing clean-ups and mulch too. Rainy here
Old 04-19-2015, 08:26 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

you will slowly add more clients as the year progresses for various reasons, its never too late to expect more business
Old 04-19-2015, 08:38 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I add business all season long. Right up to the season ending. I'm doing a mulch job today (with customer approval) for a customer I added last November.

This year I can't keep up with requests. $0 a month in advertising. Your work is your best piece of advertisement. Keep at it, keep flyering, buy lawn signs for jobs you complete, and be active in your community.

Always take the time to be active in your community, it does make a difference.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-19-2015, 09:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Idk where you are located but I advertise all season. Its very typical ppl are gung ho to mow their own lawn the first few weeks of summer...then realize that's not how they wanna spend their days off. Or other companies disappear or do a shitty job. I got 20 new lawn accts last yr and maybe 2-3 of them I picked up in April...the rest were all the the summer.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-19-2015, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Member

I started late last year, picked up folks who where unhappy with their lawn care providers. Last year was slow, but slow and steady is the name of the game for me. Hit the marketing hard all winter and have a decent return this spring. Post cards targeting local subdivisions seemed to work for me. Also I have a very good relationship with the local small engine shop that fixes my stuff, they give me referrals I do the same for them. Those relationships are priceless. So while you are slow, go shake some hands and make yourself known!