Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-12-2015, 05:36 AM
LawnSite Member

Future lawn care business

Hi guys im starting my lawn care business this Tuesday i have all the equipment ready to be honest the most i ever done is just mow my lawn so i spent this whole week researching there was some stuff i couldn't find out before i came here never knew a forums like this existed but anyways back to what i was saying i came here to ask a few questions

Where do you guys dispose your yard waste?

What are estimates?

What rates do you think is fair?

how do you make contracts with your customers?

i want to do landscaping but i dont know how lol i could reserch online but id rather read a book any recommendations ?

thank you
Old 04-12-2015, 08:10 AM
LawnSite Member

1) I dispose of my waste at the landfill
2) An estimate or quote is when a potential customer asks you to look at the job they'd like you to do and tell them what you'd charge.
3) don't start with landscaping. Start small and read up on everything you can.

As far as what to charge, what you have to do is figure up what it costs you to maintain your business how much materials cost you for the job and add in how long it will take you to do the job. Add on top of that a profit for the company.

Good luck to you.

Where are you located? What equipment are you using?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-12-2015, 08:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like you need to be doing a lot more research before you start up. Maybe you should work for someone before you jump in if you have no experience?

to answer some of your questions,

I have a guy that lets me dump clippings, soil and other clean fill on his property. Trash goes to the land fill.

An estimate is just that, estimating what the job is going to cost the customer but more importantly how much its going to cost you and how much you need to charge the customer to make a profit.

The rates are based on what your expenses are? Do you have a truck payment, mower payment and/or a trailer payment? How are you paying for your trimmers and blowers? How much is it going to cost in gas from site to site? what about wear and tear on your equipment? oil changes, trimmer string...etc.

As for a contract... call a lawyer... plan to spend $800 to $1000 to get a good contract drawn up that you can provide customers to review and sign.

It sounds like to me that you really need to step back and do a little more research before jumping in in two days.
Old 04-12-2015, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinky View Post
Sounds like you need to be doing a lot more research before you start up. Maybe you should work for someone before you jump in if you have no experience?

to answer some of your questions,

I have a guy that lets me dump clippings, soil and other clean fill on his property. Trash goes to the land fill.

An estimate is just that, estimating what the job is going to cost the customer but more importantly how much its going to cost you and how much you need to charge the customer to make a profit.

The rates are based on what your expenses are? Do you have a truck payment, mower payment and/or a trailer payment? How are you paying for your trimmers and blowers? How much is it going to cost in gas from site to site? what about wear and tear on your equipment? oil changes, trimmer string...etc.

As for a contract... call a lawyer... plan to spend $800 to $1000 to get a good contract drawn up that you can provide customers to review and sign.

It sounds like to me that you really need to step back and do a little more research before jumping in in two days.
some of my buds are going to work with me they have the experience and are willing to teach me but i have to set it up as for my equipment i have a tractor edger weed eater bush trimmer. my buds also talked me into it so i bought my new edger for 20 bucks all it needed was carb clean so it was a steal and honestly i really am not ready but im trying to be i stayed up all night reading watching videos etc. im going to commit to this
Old 04-12-2015, 09:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You have a tractor for what? are you going to mow lawns with a tractor? how are you getting from site to site?

Also how old are you? Are you set up with your state and local taxes? retail sale certificate? what do you have for insurance?
Old 04-12-2015, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinky View Post
You have a tractor for what? are you going to mow lawns with a tractor? how are you getting from site to site?

Also how old are you? Are you set up with your state and local taxes? retail sale certificate? what do you have for insurance?
yes
yes
yes
ANCO
its not really a tractor is a riding mower i just like to call it a tractor i have a pickup with a 16 ft flat bed
Old 04-12-2015, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htownlawncare View Post
yes
yes
yes
ANCO
its not really a tractor is a riding mower i just like to call it a tractor i have a pickup with a 16 ft flat bed
Im going to keep asking the tough questions....so bare with me lol....

Whats your goal? do you have a number of clients that you want to acquire? do you have an amount you'd like to or need to make this season? How are you going to market yourself as a new comer with no experience to get clients to chose you over the guy thats been doing it for 10 years? Are your friends going to be there when its 80 and sunny out on a saturday when its rained all week and you need to get your lawns or those landscape jobs caught up, or will they be looking to hit the lake? How do you plan to pay the people to work for you? are you required workers comp insurance in your state?
Old 04-12-2015, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Member

my goal is Dominate my area control expand texas will be mine!!! lol im serious i want to be the main company that even politicians hire to work for them
at the moment i want any clients anything above 50 is good
i want to make profit which is above 20$
craigslist, flyers and i asked a community if i could mow their lawns i got 10 jobs to do on tuesday and if they like it they tell the neighbors after i give them my cards
and yes they will they agreed to it they dont like hitting the lake since its polluted LOL
we already agreed that once things get rolling we talk about payment but im thinking of paying like 8/hr when we start and once we get "rollling" it goes up to 10
its not required but im getting it they're my friends and if they get hurt i hate to see them out of work and not being able to pay bills
Old 04-12-2015, 11:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

no one realized this thread was creed just to troll?

what are estimates? no one old enough to start their own business is THAT uninformed.
Old 04-12-2015, 04:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
no one realized this thread was creed just to troll?

what are estimates? no one old enough to start their own business is THAT uninformed.
well to be honest i did try to look that up all i got was math equations