Register free!

Old 12-29-2013, 12:17 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Verticutting warm season turf

If you verticut warm season grasses; bermuda, zoysia, St Aug & centipede what suggestions do you have? Timing, spacing of blades, clean up afterwards & etc.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Spring for all. Wide space and unidirection for SA. Narrow and bidirectional for all others. Bagger cut or BG for clean up.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-30-2013, 09:29 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Spring for all. Wide space and unidirection for SA. Narrow and bidirectional for all others. Bagger cut or BG for clean up.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks for the response and I understand everything you suggested. I was thinking along the same lines but just wanted confirmation from someone who has done this for a longer time than me.

The only thing I was unsure of was "BG"?
Old 12-30-2013, 10:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Billy Goat lawn vac if you had one.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-30-2013, 12:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Why do you need to verticut? Is there a lot of thatch buildup? Are you planning on only a verticut (vertical mowing), or are your looking to dig down into the soil?

If you don't have an absolute boatload of thatch to remove, why not just core aerate?
Old 12-30-2013, 12:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I sure he has sponge lawn. Especially with the Zoysia. SA usually isn't a thatch problem, but slicing the runners does wonders for thickening and fillins. Coring and topdress, fert can produce significant results
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-30-2013, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipster View Post
Why do you need to verticut? Is there a lot of thatch buildup? Are you planning on only a verticut (vertical mowing), or are your looking to dig down into the soil?

If you don't have an absolute boatload of thatch to remove, why not just core aerate?
What Patriot said. On the SA lawns not so much thatch as slicing the runners to improve health. I've never done this except on zoysia but have been reading of the benefits to SA so it got me thinking of doing this on SA lawns.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

if st Aug needs to be verticut, proper cultural practices are not being followed. you do want some thatch. it blocks out weeds and helps protect stolons.

now, bermuda and most varieties of zoysia SHOULD get verticut yearly, especially at low HOC.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-02-2014, 11:21 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Gardener View Post
if st Aug needs to be verticut, proper cultural practices are not being followed. you do want some thatch. it blocks out weeds and helps protect stolons.

now, bermuda and most varieties of zoysia SHOULD get verticut yearly, especially at low HOC.
Posted via Mobile Device
On the St Aug I'm not really experiencing problems and I pretty sure my cultural practices are good. Not really trying to knock thatch but thinking it would just improve overall health. Always looking for something to learn and improve my lawns.

Any experiences from those who have and do verticut St Aug or centipede I'll gladly listen to. I'm comfortable on Bermuda & zoysia with this.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTurf View Post
On the St Aug I'm not really experiencing problems and I pretty sure my cultural practices are good. Not really trying to knock thatch but thinking it would just improve overall health. Always looking for something to learn and improve my lawns.

Any experiences from those who have and do verticut St Aug or centipede I'll gladly listen to. I'm comfortable on Bermuda & zoysia with this.
if there isn't much thatch i wouldn't verticut. it stresses the grass out initially so if it does need it i wouldn't do it. imo your better off core aerating.
Posted via Mobile Device