Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-31-2013, 05:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That is a badass truck! Hope you find a solution, if not and want to sell the whole thing let me know thats exactly what I have been looking for.

Also if you can take a video of it happening might make it easier for people to identify a solution. I don't think hook height would change anything.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

found this seems to have the same problem thought it was tandem but guess thats a pusher. This person is someone who used to post on here but haven't seen him on in a couple of years
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFvudFkSYww

Last edited by NEUSWEDE; 12-31-2013 at 07:21 PM. Reason: change text
Old 12-31-2013, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Member

The truck was built to resemble a tandem axle dump truck but we wanted the versatility of the hook lift. That was the only reason we opted to run 14-18ft boxes. The GVW of the truck is 70,000 lbs and actually weighs out perfectly with 20 ton on the truck with about 3000lbs to spare. We also tow a 25 ft trailer with this truck so going with the longer setup would have made driving this truck nearly impossible since the turning radius on the 20k floats in the front stink.

As for the boxes, the are made to handle the weight, so the a frames are the last thing I am worried about, I just want the truck to perform the way it was presented to us.

NEUSWEDE thanks for the video, that exactly what our truck does but at least he was able to get the box off the ground. Our truck went up as soon as we tried to lift it and then was a little better once the weight was over the truck more. I have a video but I'm not sure how to post it, it's about a minute long showing the truck lifting 12 ton and just barely coming off the ground but you can see it slide
Old 12-31-2013, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Did a great job building the truck. That is what I would like to build so I can have a bigger dump and replace my 26k gvw roll off truck.

How much frame is behind the rear wheels? what size motor is in that truck? I guess I could see a taller hook would position it a bit closer to the cab than what you have there and might reduce that.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Member

That's exactly why we built this truck. We have a 4900 international 26k GVW that has been great to us

The truck is a 2002 Pete 357 with about 92,000 miles. It has 46k rears and 20k fronts,Hendrickson suspension, 8LL trans and a cummins with 390 HP it was reprogramed. The CT of the truck is 150" that's from cab to center of tandem axles. We needed a larger then normal CT for this specific hooklift model because we wanted to install a cab sheild. The sheild has our electric tarp and led strobes installed in it with 2 led strobes in the rear. The hook is adjustable from 54 to 61 so it could lift out smaller boxes from our other truck. The distance from the hook to the rear rollers is about 14'-8" making a 16 ft box fit perfectly with the right amount of over hang on the back of the truck.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Shady tree- I will take some detailed pictures on Monday when I go back to my yard. I can pick up 20 plus tonne boxes without the wheels lifting up . It's all in the angle that you pick up the box . I'm not sure how it works with a hook lift system as I have never operated one. Truck is a 2006 international paystar 5600 with the cat c15 and a 13 speed. It has a Hendrickson rubber block suspension in the rear . That suspension rides great when the truck is loaded but brutal
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-01-2014, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Shady tree- I will take some detailed pictures on Monday when I go back to my yard. I can pick up 20 plus tonne boxes without the wheels lifting up . It's all in the angle that you pick up the box . I'm not sure how it works with a hook lift system as I have never operated one. Truck is a 2006 international paystar 5600 with the cat c15 and a 13 speed. It has a Hendrickson rubber block suspension in the rear . That suspension rides great when the truck is loaded but brutal when there is no weight on the back.

I have a pintle hitch and airlines run to the rear and tow our tag trailer behind it all the time. The roller has never interfered with with the towing. The only time the roller made damage was a very very hot day lifting a 20 yd box full of small pieces ( not much air space) of concrete . The asphalt was already in really bad shape and had to come out anyways. Besides that it has never made noticeable damage .

Best of luck
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-01-2014, 11:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am very interested in seeing how ur truck is set to run 70,000lbs. Bridge laws only allow u 54000, 34 on rears and 20 on front. I was researching this yesterday for my truck, on my truck listed below I have 14' length from my rear axle to my lift axle allowing me 46,500 on my rears and lift axle then 20,000 for my front, allowing me to bridge 66,500. So I figure I am legal to 64000 and some change since I probably won't get all the weight on my front axle. So I am going to net 15.5 ton loads on tri axle, same as what we haul with our tandems , which sucks!
I just bought a hook this month, 02 Volvo n-14 8ll 20k front 46k Volvo t-ride rears 20k lift axle, it has a 50k ampilrol hook on it, set up for 18-24' boxes, I am guessing c/t is around 204". On my maiden voyage with the truck I had 22' 30 yard box with broke out concrete, hit scales at recycling plant at 72k, truck weighs 32,400 so I netted around 20 ton. I felt the front end get light but no where close to pulling wheels of the ground, I think ur problem is chassis length and box length, a little longer box would move ur leverage point a little .
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-01-2014, 12:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I just looked at ur pics after I posted....damn that is a short truck!!!! Probably a great city truck. We had an excavator that bought some mack dumps that were converted tractors, short wheelbase with set back axles, dot was all over him, the truck was too short and could not legally gross 54000, I think he was reduced to 46,000. Could you fab up some stabilizers on each side of your truck, simliar to your back hoe, but make them go up more vertically ? Think mini jcb back hoes
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-01-2014, 03:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemover View Post
I am very interested in seeing how ur truck is set to run 70,000lbs. Bridge laws only allow u 54000, 34 on rears and 20 on front. I was researching this yesterday for my truck, on my truck listed below I have 14' length from my rear axle to my lift axle allowing me 46,500 on my rears and lift axle then 20,000 for my front, allowing me to bridge 66,500. So I figure I am legal to 64000 and some change since I probably won't get all the weight on my front axle. So I am going to net 15.5 ton loads on tri axle, same as what we haul with our tandems , which sucks!
I just bought a hook this month, 02 Volvo n-14 8ll 20k front 46k Volvo t-ride rears 20k lift axle, it has a 50k ampilrol hook on it, set up for 18-24' boxes, I am guessing c/t is around 204". On my maiden voyage with the truck I had 22' 30 yard box with broke out concrete, hit scales at recycling plant at 72k, truck weighs 32,400 so I netted around 20 ton. I felt the front end get light but no where close to pulling wheels of the ground, I think ur problem is chassis length and box length, a little longer box would move ur leverage point a little .
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm assuming that he is also from New Jersey. We are allowed to run tandems to 70,000 lbs and tri axles to 80,000 here. I have a Mack tandem with 14' body and 20k fronts and 58k rears that hauls 20 tons at 70k everyday.
Posted via Mobile Device