Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-15-2014, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
Wouldn't adding weights affect payload and front axle weights? Just curious.

Seems like a rear stabilizer would be the best solution if they don't do anything for you.

I agree, id ask pete what they think about that as well..

im not to familiar with the rear stabilizer (never had one on any of my hooks), but what would that do to a paver driveway?
Old 01-15-2014, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You could probably put an out rigger mat under it for delicate surfaces
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-15-2014, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This is why we got a roll off instead of a hook lift. Never had any of these issues. BFD having to hop out and attach the cable .

And we carry a small sheet of 3/4" plywood in the tool box for any delicate surfaces. To be honest the roller does not get used very often. If you know how to use a roll off properly you won't lift the front wheels off the ground unless it is a very heavy load.

A.E.L

Excavating, Grading, Demolition, Land Clearing, Custom Grinding Services, Storm water management, Erosion Control.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxridernorth View Post
Yes, just place the front wheels on the scale. The weight of the bin is the full weight including the bin (this assumes even distribution in the bin). Hook distance is when the hook is back and at the level it would be just picking up the bin - like if you dropped a plumb bob to the ground and measured from this point to the middle of the tandem axle group. Essentially this is one lever fighting another. And yes adding weight to the front of the truck would help but to figure out how much you need, weigh everything as it sits.
Can I weigh the bin empty and by doing this equation I will be able to figure how much more weight I can put in the bin to find out what I should be able to lift?
Old 01-15-2014, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEL View Post
This is why we got a roll off instead of a hook lift. Never had any of these issues. BFD having to hop out and attach the cable .

And we carry a small sheet of 3/4" plywood in the tool box for any delicate surfaces. To be honest the roller does not get used very often. If you know how to use a roll off properly you won't lift the front wheels off the ground unless it is a very heavy load.
The plywood is enough? I was nervous that if we had to go with a stabilizer the truck would really depend on it for heavy loads and therefore would crack the plywood. When you have the roller down how is the truck backing up under the box? Can for feel that the roller limits you to what you need to do if it's in use?
Old 01-15-2014, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyTree View Post
Can I weigh the bin empty and by doing this equation I will be able to figure how much more weight I can put in the bin to find out what I should be able to lift?
Sure. And with regard to adding weight taking away from axle weight, yes that's true, but I bet you're going to have a hard time making max front axle weight anyway.

A rear stabilizer would solve all the problems but before all that or any other work is performed I agree with Shady that the configuration should be optimally adjusted before any other measures are taken.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyTree View Post
The plywood is enough? I was nervous that if we had to go with a stabilizer the truck would really depend on it for heavy loads and therefore would crack the plywood. When you have the roller down how is the truck backing up under the box? Can for feel that the roller limits you to what you need to do if it's in use?
The roller only goes down once the box is hooked up getting lifted up and the front wheels start to come up. The roller rolls along the ground as you are pulling the box up. As soon as the box is on the truck you pull the leaver and it goes back up.

Roller has never gotten in the way of anything .
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-15-2014, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Not sure if this helps, I measured from center of tandems to center of my rear roller on the hook frame, it is 43". It looks like yours is further back. I would assume this would affect the lifting capacities
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-15-2014, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEL View Post

Posted via Mobile Device
I don't think that's is an accurate statement, I pulled up 23 ton with no problem not lifting the front tires. The chassis has to be set up properly for the application to get things to work correctly
Old 01-16-2014, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemover View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
I don't think that's is an accurate statement, I pulled up 23 ton with no problem not lifting the front tires. The chassis has to be set up properly for the application to get things to work correctly
Treemover any way you can post a pic of your rig? I have the reps coming on the 21st so I am hoping for answers and explanations.