Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-28-2013, 12:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Leaf loader hose questions

We have a 25 hp Billy Goat loader that came with the 10' hose & a 20' hose. Any suggestions or ideas on how to "suspend" some of the "extra" hose during use? I have seen some double arm setups on some big loaders. The 20' hose wears a guy out pretty fast lugging it around, but it sure is nice being able to reach further. Our vac is on an elevated platform on the truck which makes the 10' hose just a little short. I have posted pics of our rig in another post.
Maybe a wheel kit of some kind? Just thinking of ideas to make things easier.
Another question: we have a 4x8 opening on the roof with a mesh 8x10 tarp doubled over covering it. When it has ran for a while we start getting blowout or blow by and the tarp really poofs up, but the box isn't very full. Do u think we need more ventilation or is the doubled over tarp plugging up? We thought doubling it would increase the durability and filter the dust a little better. Maybe too much?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-28-2013, 01:45 PM
LawnSite Member

I can't think of a way to really make thee wheel kit work. I'm sure it's possible it would just take some time to find something that really works. I was thinking something designed like a moving dolly, with wheels that pivot and a base that still allows the hose to articulate while still supporting it. I'd probably just try for a another arm to maybe hang off the trailer, assuming you already have one hanging from the truck.

As for the venting, I have a 6x10 opening up top with just a single layer of mesh tarp and I'm only running a 14hp loader. I don't get much if any blow by but it does puff up as the trailer fills.

Now granted your running a loader twice as big but I'd have to imagine doubling up that mesh tarp cuts down on airflow just enough to back up the venting air. 4x8 seems like a decent amount of venting area even for that size loader.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-28-2013, 02:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply. I can't think of any good way to make wheels work either. We have already had to wrap part of the hose because it was starting to wear thru to the wires from sliding across the ground. We do have the support/swing arm on the loader. Not sure if it would be strong enough to double its length or add another one on the side of the truck like you mentioned.
We may single layer the tarp to see. It gets so plugged it lifts up enough on the straps and bungees to let debris by. We are afraid if we screw it down tight that it will just blow out by the tube going into the box. A trip down the road and it blows or settled the dust out of the tarp and its smooth sailing, but it always seems to start trying to blow out as we are almost done with a yard, making cleanup tougher.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-28-2013, 02:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Rather than screw down the tarp, I bought a long thin nylon rope from Home Depot and laced it through the grommets of the tarp and tie down buckles that a screwed into the outside walls of the trailer. It gives the tarp some room to stretch a little when it puffs up and also allows me to remove/install the tarp in a few minutes.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-28-2013, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Leaf loader hose questions

What about a arm the swings off the truck and has a cable attached to it holding most of the hoses weight?

Doesn't matter what kind of equipment you run as long as you get the job done correctly and up to par.
Old 11-28-2013, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Good idea. We keep plowing the pile to the hose and keep pushing the leaves to the hose and keep feeding it with a shovel while the hose is on the ground so you don't have to move the hose as much.

Lots of youtube videos out there with tactics/setups that are very helpful.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-28-2013, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm no engineer or anything and don't know it this will work or not, but here goes.

The red would be some sort of post that is strong and maybe mounted/welded to the frame.

The blue would be a brace for the arms that connect to the post (red) This would have to have some type of swivel mechanism that would spin with the arm.

The green would be one arm that again swivels around the post (red) .

The yellow is the same as the green, but hinged at the end of the green to be able to extend/contract as needed.

The white are cable/rope/strap supports for the hose.

Again, I have no idea if this would work, mainly where the yellow and green arm connect, as that would be a weak spot and may not hold the weight of the hose with, or without leaves.

EDIT: Just reread and saw where you already have a swing arm for it...whoops haha
Attached Images

Old 11-28-2013, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Could weld "holders"(u shaped pieces of metal) that would hold a large portion of the hose where the white lines are, also. Would take a lot of weight away. Could just flop the hose up and over if you needed to extend it out.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-29-2013, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Member

The Billy Goat swing arm only extends about 5'. Not sure if it would withstand an extension and the extra weight, but have been considering it.
Thanks for the illustration. That is something like we need so that it folds flush with the truck. Similar to a "cherry picker". The current arm goes back against the box and barely sticks out, so we would need a pivot if we add on.
We rake feed it a lot, but on some corner lots or curbside pickup we slowly drive along while another runs the hose, sucking up the 5' or so wide piles. Running it solo it is nice to be able to suck up from behind the truck to the front of the truck, then pull ahead and repeat.
We keep sections hook chained to the truck when we don't need them, but I was just thinking a longer support arm might be easier, but it may also fight the operator more. The hose really jerks when it sucks a good clump of leaves, wet leaves, or gets a stick, and running wide open it will suck itself to the ground.
Thanks for the ideas. This is our first season, so everything is an experiment so far.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-29-2013, 03:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I can't comment in the hose but as for the roof I have a 16hp little wonder loader I cut a 20"x20" square in the roof and stapled a 24x24" piece of 1/4" hardware mesh it works perfect it doesnot clog or cause any issues some small pieces come through but nothing that is bad hardware mesh is like a big screen mine has 1/4" square holes in it
Posted via Mobile Device