Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-01-2014, 06:52 PM
LawnSite Member

john deere 737

aquirring a john deere 737 has between 300-500 hours, used by a homeowner to mow one 4 acre property, its a 2006 model.....i need some personal reviews on this mower.... any responses is greatly appreciated
Old 01-03-2014, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I just bought a 757 60 in 25 hp with 480 hours for 4500. I've put 5 hours on it so far and love it! I mowed about 3 acres of 10-12 inch grass in about an hour and a half. It mowed it perfectly and the blades are dull as can be! It's a great mower. I dont know how much different the 737 is but i know the 757 is good.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

How much are you buying it for? How many hours does it have exactly. You've got a estimate with a 200 difference. That's a big number.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:23 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Lawn Care, LLC View Post
How much are you buying it for? How many hours does it have exactly. You've got a estimate with a 200 difference. That's a big number.
No cost in cash , bartering with my accountant for 1 season of property maint., hes a very nice and generous man and is tryin to help, it has 388 hrs .... I own and operate toro grandstands , zmasters , and exmark turf tracers, ive never owned john deeres so i dont kno much about them
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-04-2014, 01:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

They are good Z's and the 7 Iron deck is far superior to the Exmark deck if there's any dew, or the grass is wet from/with rain. They don't clump like the UC does. It is one of the best decks you can own for all mowing under any condition.

The 757 has a horizontal shaft Kawi in it. They have a rep for getting a lot of build up of dirt etc under the engine shrouds and overheating due to their positioning behind the deck and in an easy straight line for dust to be blown back onto the engine. A routine cleaning under the cowlings will keep them from overheating, and running great. The later versions of those machines with the 7 Iron II deck have higher BTS's than the earlier I version and are better cutting decks.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
They are good Z's and the 7 Iron deck is far superior to the Exmark deck if there's any dew, or the grass is wet from/with rain. They don't clump like the UC does. It is one of the best decks you can own for all mowing under any condition.

The 757 has a horizontal shaft Kawi in it. They have a rep for getting a lot of build up of dirt etc under the engine shrouds and overheating due to their positioning behind the deck and in an easy straight line for dust to be blown back onto the engine. A routine cleaning under the cowlings will keep them from overheating, and running great. The later versions of those machines with the 7 Iron II deck have higher BTS's than the earlier I version and are better cutting decks.

Dont mean to hijack the thread, but ridin green, where are these cowlings located? Haven't heard of them before. And how would I go about cleaning them?
Old 01-04-2014, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

They are the metal (in some instances they are plastic) shrouds that cover the engine's upper end (the end where the air intake screen is on a horizontal shaft engine). They are held on by a few small bolts. Just remove them, and anything else being held to the shroud by the bolts, and clean the engine cooling fins real well once or twice a year.

It's the large black cover in this link-
http://kawpower.com/engines/fh/fh721d
Old 01-04-2014, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Aright thanks man! I new the engine was know for that problem but I figured i could avoid it by good maintenance and because the machine had such low hours.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

That one small issue sure wouldn't keep me from buying a low hour machine like that.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah same here that's why I jumped on it! I think I got a pretty good deal.