Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-02-2014, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Member

stihl 4 mix overhaul tools

I was wanting to tear into a few of my 4mixes and maybe clean the valve seats and faces. What tools will be needed and parts if any? Im mechanically inclined but needing to know if theres anything to be aware of from the ones with experience. I had a guy tell me one time to stretch the intake spring.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-02-2014, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Subscribed.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clc19chase View Post
I was wanting to tear into a few of my 4mixes and maybe clean the valve seats and faces. What tools will be needed and parts if any? Im mechanically inclined but needing to know if theres anything to be aware of from the ones with experience. I had a guy tell me one time to stretch the intake spring.
Posted via Mobile Device
Do a search on here, lots of posts, (some with links) about them!
Stretch the intake spring? WTF is an intake spring? And why would ya wanna stretch it??

......AMF!
Old 01-02-2014, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Member

That stretch the spring talk better have some amazing reason but it sounds like hocum. Now, the only special tool that I didn't have is the feeler gauge, which was under $1 from Stihl, because it has a narrowed in tip. Adjusting the valves is simple enough. I haven't had any out fully, that means pulling the cover at the bottom of the crank case. Have fun!
Old 01-02-2014, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hmmmm, feeler gauge for under $1.00,...? Mine was on a card, plastic wrapped to a card, and I think it was over $5.00. I can't remember. Finding anything with the name Stihl on it for under $1.00 is rare. I realize the gauge isn't much -- but as you point out, the shape is necessary to reach the target.

But, under $1.00 ...?

I will be interested in other posts in this thread, and what tasks the OP does for his machine. So, subscribed.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Member

I have the feeler gage and it was indeed under $1.00. I recently adjusted all of my 4 mix valves lately and it is very easy to do. Weed eater style heads are very easy to adjust. My BR600 Magnums are a bit harder to adjust because there is multiple covers that you have to take off that are hard to line up right when putting them back on. The only tools necessary is the star head wrench that came with all of Stihl products and then a metric wrench(I think it was a 8mm, forgot exactly) to adjust the valve. Pretty simple. Blower took 20-30 mins to do due to having trouble lining up the covers. Everything else took less than 10 mins. Hope everything goes well!

Subscribed
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-02-2014, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
Hmmmm, feeler gauge for under $1.00,...? Mine was on a card, plastic wrapped to a card, and I think it was over $5.00. I can't remember. Finding anything with the name Stihl on it for under $1.00 is rare. I realize the gauge isn't much -- but as you point out, the shape is necessary to reach the target.

But, under $1.00 ...?

I will be interested in other posts in this thread, and what tasks the OP does for his machine. So, subscribed.
Bull5h1t free guarantee! Surprised me too, Stihl like to crank up the prices...
Old 01-03-2014, 08:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

This is what I bought to do the valve adjustment,
Attached Images

Old 01-03-2014, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

My dealer gave me a feller gague. I did have a push rod fall out, didn't seem to hurt anything.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
My dealer gave me a feller gague. I did have a push rod fall out, didn't seem to hurt anything.

Yea, there is probably one too many in every engine anyway. Loosing one, here and there, probably doesn't make much difference.