Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-18-2014, 03:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Push-mower Vertical Shaft question

*Noob Question Alert*

I'm a year into the business, started spring 2013. I ran 18 accounts a week (majority of them are hillsides, stupid mistake) for the entire summer using a Husqvarna 22in Self-propelled (RWD) push mower. It worked wonders for my starting mower and left a half way decent cut and stripe. Anyone who has worked with Husq mowers know they like to use a star pattern for the cut-out holes in the center of the blade (and the star pattern is different on some mowers than others). About a month before the season finished I was changing the blade again and noticed that the extruded star pattern on the bottom of the shaft had completely broken off. So now the bottom of the shaft is flat (like the previous mower I had) and the bolt can still be tightened fully. I replaced the blade and made sure to tighten it as tight as I could since there wouldnt be the star-points holding the blade in position. I ran the mower like this for the remainder of the season but it seemed to vibrate quite a bit more than before.

I guess my question is: Is it safe to run the mower this way? As I said, the mower ran fine, just more vibration. I made sure to check the blade regularly and it was not loose at all stayed flush to the bottom of the shaft.

I'm also in college and have excess loan money that I could potentially buy a new mower this season, however I'd rather not spend my loan money on my business if possible.

Anyone have experience with an issue similar to this? I just don't want to use the mower this season if theres a chance it could lead to damage or hurting me or anyone who might be in the vicinity.
Old 01-18-2014, 03:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If its vibrating then something is unbalanced. I suspect you can no longer perfectly center the blade. Are you still using star center blades? If so change to a blade with same size round bolt hole.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-18-2014, 04:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I had already purchased a star center blade. Before this season starts I'll get a different type of blade to try. any suggestions on the best multi-purpose blade? Guess my choices are significantly wider without having to stick to the star type
Old 01-18-2014, 04:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Repair it properly...... Replace the blade adapter (part star broke off of) and use the factory style blade......
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 01-18-2014, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'll grab the part number off the blade adapter sometime soon. Until you mentioned "blade adapter" I had assumed the blade attached directly to the bottom of the shaft. However I now recall when I changed the belt there was a removable plate on the bottom of the shaft. Thanks !
Old 01-18-2014, 06:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonesLawnCareWV View Post
I'll grab the part number off the blade adapter sometime soon. Until you mentioned "blade adapter" I had assumed the blade attached directly to the bottom of the shaft. However I now recall when I changed the belt there was a removable plate on the bottom of the shaft. Thanks !
AKA blade adapter! As Rob said, put a new one on it, and go with the stock blade.

......AMF!
Old 01-19-2014, 12:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would definitely be more comfortable doing that than running an entire season worrying about it! Not to mention an entire season of vibration would probably mess up some other things too!
Old 01-19-2014, 03:21 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Before you order any parts, take the blade adapter off. Take the spark plug out. Get mower up where you can see the shaft. Have someone else pull it over and see if the shaft is bent as its spinning. If the shaft is bent, go get a new mower.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Not knowing what you're blade options are with the star adapter you might want to consider a different adapter. A sharp parts guy can match an adpater to your engine that will allow for the more widely used round center hole or the dual bolt variety. I'm pretty certain the star only fits those 3in1 blades that really don't do any one thing great. You don't see 3in1s offered on bigger commercial machines. You might see a noticeable improvement in cut quality.

PS. That excess loan money comes at a high price. Save it for next semester and borrow less.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-20-2014, 10:21 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugs View Post
If the shaft is bent, go get a new mower.
Or straighten it and keep on mowin!

Find the high side/point ( I use a dial indicator, but any straight edge will do) mark the shaft, slip the old blade adapter on, you may have to temp. bolt it on.
then whack that muther with a BFH. You can actually overdo it so be careful. Repeat as necessary.
Be advised though, the crank can/might develop a crack. Personally, I haven't had any problems with em cracking, but I'm sure you'll hear all kinds of horror stories.....

......AMF!

Tags
push mower shaft blade