Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-09-2014, 04:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphin fan View Post
You have to take into consideration,Apt complexes are a lot different than strip centers,I am saying that because you stated this is your first Apt complex there are a lot of obstacles that will arise doing this type of property.Your staff will have to deal with the residents ,and also the property's staff. So make sure you put them on there toes on what to say and what not to say, Also my crew chiefs and supervisors wear different uniforms then the lawn techs and the property managers are made aware of that,so they direct there concerns to the right person/s.Also when you walk the property have your staging/ parking area for your equipment as a designated area that you don't interfere with the residents this cuts down on complaints and also shows the property managers that you are a experienced professional company,ok with that said for just the cutting, edging and blowing I would figure 40.00 a hour for three techs so 120x9 hrs=1,080.00 plus one crew CHEIF @50x9= 450.00 + 1080 = 1,530.00 a cut x the number of cuts a year as far as the mulching the charge would be 170.00 a hour labor. If they buy the material, and have it delivered .If you supply it I double my cost for it that pays for the storage, unloading and reloading and delivery.All other services I would bill at the hourly rate.One more thing just bid the property for one year,Good luck with it I hope I helped you a little.

Thanks, that helped I plugged in a few different numbers to match my market and worked out to roughly what I had in my mind.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:40 PM
LawnSite Member

I am going to be buying the mulch and delivering it myself, do you offer discounts on mulch over a certain amount? I am using a skid and bb302 to spread it.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:27 PM
LawnSite Member

No I do not

The mulching jobs are the area that because of you have to tie up money in I would never discount them, We have for the last six months I hired a company that installs the mulch on our job sites, they come in with a ten wheeler that has a large tank full of lose mulch, they have hoses that reach up to 200 feet and they shoot the mulch in the beds.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:32 PM
LawnSite Member

[QUOTE=Dolphin fan;4933666]The mulching jobs are the area that because of you have to tie up money in I would never discount them, We have for the last six months I hired a company that installs the mulch on our job sites, they come in with a ten wheeler that has a large tank full of lose mulch, they have hoses that reach up to 200 feet and they shoot the mulch in the beds.[/QUOT

I figured that there is roughly 120 yards, and I could do that with 3 guys in 1.5 days using the mulch blower. I just figured up 2 building worth of mulch and multiplied it by the others. They are basically the same, so give or take a few yards hopefully.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Member

I am trying to figure out a measuring software other than goIlawn, I hated that one.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

findlotsize.com
Old 01-10-2014, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Mulch is a charged item per bag, any other way is difficult.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:51 PM
LawnSite Member

I have came up with 1205 per cut with 28 cuttings. Does this sound too far off the rocker?
Old 01-12-2014, 06:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Well if you know what your hourly per man rate is, that's the price you came up with good luck. just remember on this type of property there will be many unforeseen little things that have to be taken care of that eat up lots of man hours.Good Luck with the bid, I will only like to repeat myself on this do not sign a contract for more than one calendar year. If they want more than one year there is a reason. Good luck!!!!!!!!
Old 01-13-2014, 12:03 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

$1205.00 per cut is dizzying.

I dont think you will be competitive here.

You need to think outside the box.

1) why are you being asked to bid this?

the answer is either the last guy didn't deliver, or the customer is looking for the absolute cheapest price.

either way, he know basing your price off what it took the last man to do the job is a bad idea. Perhaps he had the wrong equipment set up?

I can't see the exact measurements, but guessing from the pic, I would Not send anything in here larger than a 48. Secure that equipment elsewhere where it will make you money.
this is detail oriented and larger equipment is going to discharge grass in areas you don't want it, forcing more time for clean up.

If you had a walker, this would be a key place to use it.

Consider mulching decks if you can.

If not a 36" a 48" and possibly a 21" is what you will need.

I would consider this a 6.5 hour property with three guys.
All WB mowers, possibly with a sulky if necessary.
Make sure you have three string trimmers three back packs and a rolling wheel blower like a little wonder, billy goat or giant vac.

at an average of 55/hr for the 48
52/hr for the 36
50/hr for the 21
50/hr for the trimmers
50/hr for the blowers.
45/hr for travel time.

Here is your break down.

Three men, 6.5 hours =19.5 total man hours.

The 48 will run 4 hours (5x55) $220.00
The 36 will run 3 hours (3x52) $156.00
The 21 will run 2 hours (2x50) $100.00
Trimmer 1 will run 1 hour (1x50) $50.00
Trimmer 2 will run 2 hours (2x50) $100.00
Trimmer 3 will run 3 hours (3x50) $100.00
Three blowers for 1 hour each (3x50) $150.00
travel time (to include load/unload) is allotted at 30 minutes (1.5x45) $68.00
Total cut should be: $944.00

The difficulty with figuring these larger properties and competing price wise for them, is everyone (or at least the smaller guys) try to figure out every man hour as being worth the same, which it is not. The value/cost/upkeep and fuel consumption of a larger piece of equipment is higher than a smaller one. You will use your larger production mowers more, meaning they will be used up quicker and need replacement sooner, meaning you have to recapture that replacement cost faster as well.... So while a 60" rider my produce faster times, it's mowing $/hr will be higher than say a 48 wb. a 48 wb takes 2 hours to mow a lawn at 55/hr the price will be 110. but the 60 inch rider will do the same space in 1 hour 15 minutes, it should be 60/hr (ish) or $75.00..... but if you try to price your cuts all at $60/hr from everything you do, instead of breaking it down, by equipment being used, you will price yourself out of the game every time on the larger properties, where multiple pieces of a equipment are necessary to be used to varying times.... this isnt a one or tow hour property, this is a 20 hour property... so the estimation game is played differently.
Your are over $200 higher than I am. You will loose this bid. And I promise you, I can make 15-18% net off that cutting price, and I will run a quicker time with my method on this property than a guy with a 60 inch rider trying to squeeze it in all those court yards.

However, if you looked at this same property with a walker GHS mower:
Consider TWO guys 6 hours.
14 hours total.
Walker 48" GHS x 2 for 3 hours @ $65/hr = $390.00
2 trimmers for 2 hours @ $50 - $200.00
2 blowers for .5 hours @ $50.00 = $100.00
Travel time for .5 hours @ $45 = $90.00
Grass disposal of (on average) 32 bushells @ $3/bushell = $96.00
Total $876.00

Draw back to method 2 is the operators for the walker mowers have to be better trained and of a higher degree of accountability than the guys with the wb mowers. The machines are easier to buy, than the operators are to find (and keep around)

Going off the $944 price x 28 cuts =$26,432
This is how the big boys will go about pricing this place, so if you are competing against ValleyCrest, Brickman, Trugreen, Rupert or anyone who has ever worked for them and now has their own company? Prepared to see numbers like this win the bid.

Last edited by TPendagast; 01-13-2014 at 12:06 AM. Reason: math error