Register free!

Old 12-18-2013, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Copper water line noise when sprinklers run

OK Gurus, It's been awhile since I have posted on the site, but I have a client in SW Florida, who gets awfull noise when his #1 and #3 sprinkler valves are running. Only those two out of five total cause the noise in his copper house water line. Has an above ground sprinkler valve manifold, 1" Irritrol 205 vlaves with flow controls, so I assumed his #1 and #3 lateral sprinkler lines (1") were laying across his copper water house line underground, as adjustments to the flow controls on the valves did nothing to repair the noise problem. Dug it up and they are 4" above his water line, which is pvc until it gets to the house, and then rises in 1/2" copper. When you hold the copper house line while zones 1 or 3 run on the irrigation, it vibrates quite bad, then resonates in the house making a bunch of noise inside. His copper house lines are clamped to the floor joists in a crawl space under his floor. So, any ideas what could be causing this vibration and noise in his house copper lines, when only two different sprinkler valves run? When I searched the posts on these issues they were 5-7 years old and none addressed this type of problem specifically. Thanks, any ideas would be appreciated!!! I'm stumped!!
Old 12-18-2013, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Is this a metered service? If so, what is the use on each zone when running? I'm actually asking you about all zones when running. You need benchmarks for comparison.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-18-2013, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes, 5/8" meter located just off the street 50+ feet from the vertical copper 1/2" line running about 3' up the side of the house. I can run a GPM per zone tomorrow and let you know. I will also do a pressure test at a hose bib.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Identify the backflow preventer as well, make, model number, and size.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I wonder how long this has been occurring because, it sounds like a velocity issue. Flow comparisons at the meter will tell you if it is.

What's the visual appearance of the zones when they're running? How do they compare with the normally operating zones.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-19-2013, 05:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

pretty much what I was thinking. that and pressure too high usually at the same time.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:35 AM
LawnSite Member

I will play with turning down at the meter. It started, we think, around the time Marco Island increased it water pressure to deal with low pressure on the south end of the island. This created all kinds of problems where the pressure was adequate before as the pressure was increased on the north end of the island. With a Watts anti syphon only, on the sprinkler turn off riser at the meter, maybe it is likely that the pressure is causing the house line, which starts there as well to resonate the noise all the way to the house??
Old 12-19-2013, 10:38 AM
LawnSite Member

Weird though that the noise only happens inside the house when a couple of sprinkler zones are running, not the house water on, and the copper pipe feeding the house has a strong vibration, like water is flowing through it with tremendous pressure??
Old 12-19-2013, 12:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Easy thing to try is to throttle down the flow controls on the zone valves.
Old 12-19-2013, 01:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
Easy thing to try is to throttle down the flow controls on the zone valves.
" Has an above ground sprinkler valve manifold, 1" Irritrol 205 vlaves with flow controls, so I assumed his #1 and #3 lateral sprinkler lines (1") were laying across his copper water house line underground, as adjustments to the flow controls on the valves did nothing to repair the noise problem"
Posted via Mobile Device